Tampa with an infant?

Old Jul 7th, 2005, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tampa with an infant?

We have a possible opportunity to go with my husband on a business trip to Tampa in August. We have a baby who would be 10 months at the time who would be with us. I have a few questions:

--Is there enough to do in Tampa that is infant-friendly? I will be by myself during the days and would want to do easy things like sitting by the pool, going to the beach or park, the zoo, etc. I wouldn't be interested in Busch Gardens.

--What are some of the nicest hotels (good pools, spa, restaurants, etc) that are close to activities? The company is paying, so price isn't much of an object.

--Will it be REALLY hot this time of the year? We live in an area where it will be 90-100, but we don't usually hang out outdoors during that hot of weather. I would hate to get to FLA and want to sit in the hotel room because it's too hot for a baby to be outside.

Thanks for any advice! We have to make a decision pretty quickly, so I don't have time to do extensive research!
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 09:52 AM

Florida is hot in the summer but no worse than what you are used to.

You might enjoy Sunset at Pier 60 in Clearwater Beach. For 2 hours prior to and 2 hours after sunset, they have a nice festival at the Pier. Craft sellers, music, etc. My kids enjoyed the parrot show.

The Clearwater aquarium is fun. It is not a Seaworld like experience - they're a small aquarium whose focus is on caring for injured marine animals.

Clearwater Beach is considered an excellent beach for families. We found the surf to be gentle when we were there.
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 11:16 AM

Hmmmm...is Florida hot in August?

Are you from the US? If not, please excuse my sarcasm.

It is hot enough that your glasses fog up when you get out of the AC car or room. You will sweat so much that a nearby water supply is always needed. It is so humid that the water supply won't help much. It will rain every afternoon.

Sure there are things to do if the above does not deter you.

Old Jul 8th, 2005, 10:02 AM

You could check out Homassasa Springs which is a Manatee Rescue. It is easy to manuever around.

Also, if you like Greek Food, head over to Tarpon Springs for an amazing meal.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 11:39 AM

Hi Travelisfun.

My "baby" is 16 -- but I remember those days. In August your best bet for fun with an infant would be swimming in a shaded pool, and strolling in the mall. You'll need to look for a hotel with a baby pool. Limit your pool fun to mornings or afternoons and avoid high noon. And be sure to apply sun screen and put baby in some swim suits with covers. There are diapers made for swimming pools although you need to check that the pool will allow them.

The next best thing is mall walking. There is a terrific mall, International Plaza, that has a huge indoor childrens play area. And it also has an outdoor food court that looks like a village.

Other things to do: Lowry Park Zoo, which has a water fountain play area with water squirting up through the ground amid statues of manatees (so bring babies swimsuit) and the Florida Aquarium in downtown, which is a great place for strolling through the indoor (air-conditioned) native habitat areas and the indoor aquarium tanks. Lots for baby to look at.

For a place to stay, I would check into the Marriot Waterside in downtown. From there you could walk to the Florida Aquarium and you could stroll to the Channelside area for something to eat. From there you could take the trolley to Ybor City for lunch and stroll through the old town area -- loading up the stroller and all that stuff into a car then unloading can be such a drag but the trolley will be convenient.

You also might consider Adventure Island, Busch Gardens' water park. They have a large childrens area for the tiny ones. You and baby doing the Lazy River would be a lot of fun and it would be relaxing. You can set up a beach blanket in the shade and read while baby takes a nap. Be sure to purchase some water wings.

The best beach for you would likely be someplace like Sunset Beach where you could eat on the beach at Caddy's and still be close to your car for a quick getaway. They have lounge chairs on the sand. Most of the St. Pete/Clwr. beaches are 30 minutes from Tampa. I have to warn you that many children that age do not like the beach but prefer a pool. The sand bothers them and the waves can overpower them -- the salt water can be yekky. All in all, they seem to prefer pools.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 11:50 AM

Yes, it will be VERY hot and humid. I'm sorry to say, August is the worst month. If you dress for it and plan to venture outdoors earlier in the morning or later in the evening, you can spend the worst part of the day in the hotel, shopping, restaurants, etc.

The Tampa/St. Pete area has so many gorgeous parks, it's just amazing. One of my favorites is John Chestnut Park on Lake Tarpon, about 25 minutes from Tampa. You can almost always see gators in the part of the park that has footbridges over the little lakes. It's very cool. Here's the url: http://www.pinellascounty.org/park/04_Chesnut.htm

I haven't been to the science museum MOSI or the Tampa aquarium yet, but they are supposed to be quite nice.

The best hotel in the area, in my opinion, is the Grand Hyatt. Very close to the airport, right on the bay, two gorgeous pools. I hear the new Marriott Renaissance attached to International Plaza is also very very nice.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 11:52 AM

Hey, TG, you just beat out by a few seconds. I would agree that Marriott Waterside would be a good choice because it's so close to a number of nice venues.

If you have any interest in historical buildings, check out the Henry Plant Museum at the University of Tampa - it's quite nice.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 12:05 PM

Hi Birder. I will have to check out that park on Lake Tarpon when my nephew comes to town. He'd dying to see some real Florida gators (and not the ones in orange & blue). We usually see lots of them on the Hillsborough River at the Canoe Outpost.

Keep dry and be safe, my little hurricane sister.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 08:48 PM

I loved the Salvador Dali museum, it would be a nice afternoon or morning activity to tour and stroll the baby around there, if you are interested in art. Don't forget the sunblock and hat for yourself and little one.
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the great advice! We have decided not to go in August (due to the HEAT), but my husband will be going again in December or January and we'll most likely go with him at that point! I will save this thread and use some of your great tips then!