Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Tadich Grill in San Francisco - Did you enjoy it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2003, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello to all. I'm in the final stages of planning our upcoming trip to San Francisco next week. I've read lots of comments from various places about Tadich Grill and I think we are going to have lunch here on day. Any first hand reports, good or bad, that anyone would care to share? We just love a good meal in a comfortable environment. We are not into anything fancy or fussy...... so this sounds like a good place to try Seafood.
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 11:07 AM

The Tadich is fabulous....San Francisco's oldest restaurant..owned by the same family since 1928(but started long before that)....beware...the place is HOPPING..if you want "comfortable",go early by 11.30..otherwise it will be packed with people waiting outside for their tables..being right in the heart of the FinancialDistrict,there will be a lot of dressy business types but dont be deterred if you are casual...I love the place..
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 12:26 PM

I agree with BB, great place. So "San Francisco" it makes your teeth hurt...

While waiting for a table at the bar there back in the 80's, I learned the bartender had been behind the bar for 7 years. He wanted to be a waiter, but had to wait for one of them to retire or keel over.

Be aware. The waiters there can display a bit of attitude, but nothing too serious.
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 12:26 PM

We were advised to try Tadich Grill on our 2nd trip to SF. The folks who recommended it told us they went there for a filling 'late lunch' of mainly their famous soup. So, we went & were not too impressed. I did have the soup (can't remember the name of it) & a salad & my hubby had a fish dish. I remember it being pretty pricey for what you get. I ended up wishing we had eaten a lighter lunch & gone somewhere better for a nice dinner...
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. I think we will give it a try. It sounds fun and like something our family would enjoy......First hand reports are the best! Vacationmom
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 08:57 AM

vacationmom,
If you can stand one more opinion.....
I like Tadich's preferably on a cool to cold day (their motto is "the original chilly-day restaurant"). I usually sit at the counter, if I'm not with a group, then try for a booth. Stick to a simple grilled fish entree or the cioppino. Definitely not a fancy place, but enjoyable.
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 11:09 AM
jmv

I had cioppino and my broth-in-law had a seafood salad that he's still raving about. This is one of those "institutions" that is still putting out the kind of stuff that earned it its reputation in the first place. By all means, go.
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 03:17 PM

Fabulous place. The sand dabs are to die for.
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 02:16 PM

Glad to hear Tadich is still up to snuff. Last ate there in 1962 and perhaps we will try it out agin when we get back to SF this fall. Thanks everyone for the reminder.
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 02:55 PM

Tadich Grill is great! Always had great meals there. There policy used to be cash only. You may want to check on that.

Enjoy!
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 06:59 PM

Tadich also has the BEST sourdough bread that we had in SF!!
Old Jul 12th, 2003, 12:40 PM

Do it! You won't be disappointed!
Old Jul 12th, 2003, 01:21 PM

Definitely go for lunch! One of my best travel lunches ever took place here!

During my college years, my roommate and I were going back to school and had stopovers in SF at the same time.

Her East Coast dad had such fond war time memories of Tadich grill that he insisted we go there for lunch, and provided the funds, which sealed the deal!

From the airport we took a bus into town, had a wonderful lunch at Tadich Grill, then took a taxi back in time to catch our flight.

For years, we've been hoping to meet each other for lunch there again, but this time we'll stay and shop for a while.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses!! Tadich Grill for Lunch it is!!! Vacationmom