Condo vs Resort

Jul 13th, 2003, 05:34 AM
MSS
Original Poster

Condo vs Resort

What's everyone's opinion of the benefits of a condo vs a resort? I personally like the benefits of daily maid service while on vacation which I don't get at home. Was wondering why so many choose condos?
Jul 13th, 2003, 05:59 AM

i guess it's one of those very personal things. i really don't like daily maid service. it always seems the maids come just when we get back to the room and want to shower, relax, etc. it doesn't seem necessary to have maid service every day and i like the privacy of a condo.

also, i don't like to eat out 3x/day due to the expense, huge portions, as well as finding it more relaxing to have breakfast in the room in my pjs, preferably on a balcony with a view.

condos give you more space, sometimes for less money, especially when traveling with a family.

the one advantage of a resort is having a restaurant right on the premises. i don't like to have to drive everywhere when on vacation. but with a little research, you can often find condos walking distance to restaurants or stay in a resort that has condos in addition to hotel rooms.
Jul 13th, 2003, 06:22 AM

In general, condos are cheaper than resorts. And you usually get a larger space... a 1 BR or more compared to a normal hotel room.

Condos are for people who don't need all of the amenities of resorts (on-site restaurants, spa, lavish grounds, room service, etc). Condos are also good for families or groups since you usually fit more people in a unit than a hotel room, and do it more comfortably. And as was mentioned above, I think a big attraction is a kitchen, allowing people to save money by making their own meals.
Jul 13th, 2003, 06:53 AM

Condos - CAN be great,IF you pick the right ones. Some condos are absoulte dumps. Few have air conditioning. I prefer resorts because I know what I am getting -but they are more expensive.
Jul 13th, 2003, 07:09 AM

I personally hate condo vacations (my boyfriend's family does them at least once a year and always want us to "come along". So far, I went once and was able to conveniently have soem excuse not to go the rest! To me a vacation is relaxing. I DO NOT go on vacation to cook breakfast in the morning or to go back to the room at lunch to "snack on sandwiches" I also do not go on vacation to make my own bed up and to sit aroundon the balcony of my room. I go on vacation to get away from these things!
Jul 13th, 2003, 07:44 AM

as i said, it's personal preference. it's completely different when you have kids. but believe me, i don't sit around all day on the balcony and i don't cook a hot breakfast( i guess we're not big bacon and egg eaters).. it's funny, i love to go out to eat but really can't stand doing it three meals a day for more than a weekend, and not just because of the cost. and making the bed is optional! by the way, i've never stayed in a condo without ac.
Jul 13th, 2003, 07:50 AM

p.s. if you and the bf ever have kids, you may find condo vacations much more relaxing than a hotel. besides having your own bedroom, you don't have to get up at the crack of dawn to take your hungry little ones to a restaurant (which is definitely not relaxing when they're little)... send them into the kitchen for a bowl of cereal and some cartoons while you catch a few more winks...or whatever!
Jul 13th, 2003, 05:27 PM

Why not rent a condo AT a resort and have the best of both worlds? We own timeshares and exchange into some lovely resorts. We have the luxury of more than one room. We can eat in or out, and can use the facilities and activities of the resort, or not, what ever we choose. NO, you do not have to OWN a timeshare. Many resorts rent out condos (1, 2 & 3 BR) or there are company's out there who do this.
Jul 14th, 2003, 06:08 AM

I've always thought I preferred resorts to condos for reasons given by above posters, until we stayed at one and I found I really liked the accomodations, especially for a beach or skiing vacation. It's nice to have the room and be able to get up and eat breakfast in the room and not have to get dressed to go to a restaurant or pay the high room service prices. We still tended to eat out for dinner in restaurants, but it was also nice a couple of evenings (when we didn't feel like going out) to get something to make in the room. I especially like condos for accomodations right on the beach or slope-side skiing (when you can just go back to your room for a quick lunch without having to deal with going to a restaurant).