COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Cayman Islands - hotel vs. condo

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 06:27 AM
A

Cayman Islands - hotel vs. condo

Everyone on this board seems to say that a condo is the way to go to save money. I understand we'd save money on food & that we'd get more space, but are the condos themselves actually cheaper? The nightly rates on most of the condos seem to be comparable, or even more expensive to the Hyatt rates. Are we giving up anemities or service by staying at a condo? Please clarify.

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 10:29 AM
Larry

Well, it is half price for us to stay in a condo because we are a family of 5, and we would have to pay for 2 rooms verus 1 condo. Most of the rooms at the Hyatt are across the street from the beach. The beach club is PACKED with lounge chairs , and you don't have your own breathing room. By staying in a condo you get a lounge chair with SPACE between you and the other customers. Plus the Hyatt will still sale you food and drinks and even a snorkleing trip. After you pay for a $15 drink, you'll be glad that you have your own food and drink in your condo. The condo I stayed in had daily maid service, and fresh beach towels. The direct beach view couldn't be beat. I've stayed at the Westin before and payed $500 a night for a beach front room only to have palm trees blocking my view. Plus, the Westin made us leave the pool at 3:00 p.m. one day so the could set up for a wedding. Then we had to listen to the wedding reception blare loud music till late that night. Yes, condos are much better!!!!

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 10:33 AM
Scott

A,

I think it all depends on what resorts you are speaking of. Obviously the price ranges vary quite a bit in GC, so it's important to compare price ranges that are similar.

I'm not surte what rates you are being quoted at the Hyatt, but you should easily be able to find several condos that are close in price or even cheaper. I think the point most are trying to make is that you get a lot more room with a condo, you also save $$ by eating several meals in, like breakfasts & lunches. If you are having trouble finding condos that are similar in price, check out www.caymanvacations.com which has a list of most hotels & condos on GC, and you can price compare from there.

Remember, not everyone is the same, and some folks don't like to be without the "hotel services". Myself & others feel like we like the extra space of a condo, along with having a kitchen all for around the same price of better. If you haven't been able to locate condos in the same $$ range as the Hyatt, you need to dig a little deeper as there are plenty that should easily fit the bill.

Hope this helps...

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 03:28 PM
Sandy

A,
I would highly recommend a condo over a hotel on GC. For all the reasons previously mentioned, plus, the condos are just nicer than any hotel room your going to get down there. I was never a condo person till I started going to GC, and now that's the only place I'll stay. Forget the hotels, and like Scott mentioned, your sure to fine a condo at a much better price than the Hyatt or Westin. It's like having your own apartment in Paradise!!!

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 04:12 PM
GM

Well...this is the thing.

If we had kids, I'd definitely do a condo. With a condo, there's more space, there's the kitchen for saving bucks on food (and GC can get pretty expensive for dining out), and I'd like my own bedroom instead of sharing 1 room with 2 double beds with the kiddos.

We are childfree, so I have to say that for us, the important things are the service and amenities when I go on vacation; don't want to deal with making my own bed, washing my towels, or cleaning up a kitchen.

I'd say it depends on the needs, size of the family, and budget. There are some very lovely condo resorts in GC, but once the Ritz Carlton with the spa in GC opens next year, I'm there!

7 mile beach IS just lovely...have a great time, whatever you decide!

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 06:34 PM
fyi

GM, most condos in GC have full maid service.

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 04:50 AM
anon

I like to go with a condo also - doesn't mean I cook a thing - just have more space and usually a better section of beach for less money.