Swimming With Dolphins

Search

Swimming With Dolphins

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swimming With Dolphins

Our family will be spending a couple of weeks in Florida this summer, and one of the activities the kids want to try (OK, I admit it, I want to, too) is swimming with dolphins. Among the possibilities are the Dolphins in Depth program at WDW, the Water And Dolphin Exploration (W.A.D.E.) program at the Miami Sequarium, and the Dolphin Swim at Discovery Cove in Orlando. I believe this can also be done at a few places in the Keys. Any suggestions?Recommendations? Advice?

Thanks
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 09:17 PM
Original Poster

bttt

Anybody?
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 03:25 AM

A couple of years ago, we went to Discovery Cove. It was a beautiful setting and I would reccomend it. My daughter and her cousin swam with the dolphins and loved it. They had to wear wet suits. The "swim" was actually a brief educational talk in the water with the dolphins and then each person got to swim up and back with the dolphin. this was a little different than we expected - we thought everyone just kind of jumped in the water with them! Anyway, the ground are beautiful - there is a tropical pool for snorkeling and an aviary. I think you will enjoy. Ask about weather related cancellations thou - if the weather is bad - unless its really bad - they do the swim anyway and no refunds are given. When we went adance reservations were necessary. Also, there is a different price if you choose not to do the swim.

Hope this helps. Enjoy!
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

*tipping cap*

Thanks, FAYZIE
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 12:53 PM
GoTravel

This should be illegal.

Old Mar 21st, 2005, 09:29 PM
Original Poster

Free Flipper
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 03:53 AM

Better free flipper than have them suffer and die for people's amusement.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 04:04 AM

I'll second Discovery Cove. The basic fare includes snorkeling, aviary, beach, lazy river, lovely lunch, and a return day to Sea World. THe dolphin swim is another charge; about the same as the regular day (so double the price). It is a beautiful and well run park.

As described above, it is not a free swim. You stand with your group in the water while dolphins come and go, and your instructor teaches you about them. Then you pose for a photo op. And each person gets a turn to have a personal encounter. These animals were incredible. I was shocked at their muscular mass and sheer strength.

Good luck. Prepare yourself for a second education here on the horrors that dolphins encounter.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 03:53 AM

We went swimming with Dolphins at Dolphins Plus in Key Largo. It was in a natural setting and we had the best time. We were in the water with the dolphins for 20 - 30 minutes and we got to do a lot of different things with them. Only your group is in the water with them at once so you get a lot of interaction with them. I think you will get a better experience here than at Discovery Cove. If you aren't in the area though then Discovery Cove is probably fine.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 06:07 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I urge people considering this to do some research before participating. There's loads on the internet about the inhumane practice of keeping captive dolphins for entertainment (drastically shortened lifespans, etc.).