Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

SW trip - better to start in Vegas or Phoenix?

Old Oct 17th, 2004, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a trip for our familiy of 5. We want to see the Grand Canyon, Bryce and Zion Parks, and then to end up at the JW Marriott north of Vegas. Would it be better to fly into Vegas for a night or two and then drive to Grand Canyon, or to start in Phoenix?

Here's what I'm thinking:
Fly to Vegas or Phoenix; spend 1 or 2 nights.

Drive to Grand Canyon; spend 2 nights (Angel Lodge?)

Drive to Bryce, then Zion; spend 3 nights (Desert Pearl)

Drive to N. Vegas; spend 3 nights in JW Marriott.

So would it be better/easier to start in Vegas or Phoenix?

Also, is it feasible to drive from Grand Canyon, visit Bryce, and then continue on to Desert Pearl to spend night?

Thanks.
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 06:14 AM

I think I would end the trip with Vegas..it will be such a change from the parks and all that nature, the contrast might be a fun way to end your trip.
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

Well, either way we are planning to end with Vegas, but we didn't know whether to also start there or start in Phoenix. I think both of these places are about 5 hours away from Grand Canyon.
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 06:33 AM

Duh
Sorry, I got so excited about sending you to Vegas LOL
I would save Vegas and start in Phoenix ... used to live in Az and never went to LV at that time, but I still like the idea of doing all the parks first and ending the trip with Vegas and all its glitter ~
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Scarlett. That's sort of what I'm thinking. Our kids will be ages 21, 18 and 16 (not really kids, right?). We've done lots of traveling with them but have never seen the Grand Canyon, and I feel like we need to go while they're still going on vacations with us.

Since you used to live in Arizona, here's another question for you. What about flying into Phoenix and driving to Sedona for the first couple of nights? Is it a long drive, and would it be worth it?

Thanks very much.
Sherry
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 07:22 AM

If you intend to go to Vegas regardless of where you fly into, I would recommend flying into and out of Vegas. You will save money on your car rental when you pick up and return it at the same location and you will save a negligable amount on your plane ticket.

Sedona is an incredible experience, but if you are going to Bryce and Zion, you might get 'zoned out' on red rocky land formations. Just an observation.

Not knowing the time of year you are going, but looking at your 'places of interest', I suggest you consider this route/these destinations: fly into Vegas, then to Zion, Bryce, GC NORTH RIM (instead of South) and back to Vegas. Valley of Fire north of Vegas is also a nice 'drive through' destination enroute to Zion.
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 07:29 AM

I was not charged a drop-off fee for my rental car (Enterprise) when I piked it up in Phoenix and dropped it off in Vegas. And that was the best way to do the trip. We drove right to the GC from Phoenix (four hours), spent one night there, drove to Sedona (less than two hours) and spent three nights, then drove to LV (five hours) and spent three nights.
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

We plan to go the first week or so of June. We'll be using frequent flier miles, so the airfare will be free either way we decide.

My husband and I went to the Valley of Fire on a day trip from Vegas, and we loved it. I would love to take the kids there.