Should we go to Sedona?

Old Jun 10th, 2005, 10:11 AM
HMC
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should we go to Sedona?

We're planning a Spring trip to LV & GC. We've only got about 5 or 6 days for the trip so I was wondering if we should just stick to LV/Hoover Dam/GC. What's in Sedona other than the views? Dh is not as excited about traveling all the way to Sedona if we're just going for the views. We were thinking of flying into LV and out of Phoenix but if 5 or 6 days isn't enough, we may need to change our plans.

Thanks.
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 10:38 AM

If he's not excited about the views, then I kind of wonder why he's going to the Grand Canyon!

Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, Sedona, Phoneix is 511 miles. You pratically drive right by Sedona on the way down to Phoenix.

Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas is 557 miles. You save 46 miles by going to Phoenix instead of back to Las Vegas.

Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, Sedona and back to Las Vegas is 680 miles and so if that were the case you would be driving 122 miles out of your way.

I'm not a big fan of Sedona because it's to developed for my liking. The only reason I go is for the views, but I know that others go for the shopping and the spas.

Utahtea
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 11:16 AM
HMC
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. He's excited about seeing the GC, but he's the kind of person that once he's seen it, he doesn't want to just continue seeing the same views over and over. From the distances that you gave, it doesn't make much sense for us to skip Sedona and drive back from GC to LV to fly home. To me, it would make more sense to fly into LV, drive to Hoover Dam, GC, Sedona, and then fly out of Phoenix.
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 11:33 AM

I'd probably do the trip in reverse if your husband isn't all that into "the views". That way you see all the natural wonder and beauty up front and then, just when he's saying, "oh more rocks" you head for Vegas and all the man made wonders to finish the trip. (our kids had a similar viewpoint to your hubby's, so ending in Vegas really was great to them.)

Fly into Phoenix and drive up to Sedona. (Just a couple of hours drive) I personally wouldn't want to miss Sedona, it IS spectacular in its beauty --development or not! Lots of great hikes, interesting Indian ruins in easy driving distance, fun shopping, good restaurants. Take a jeep tour or hummer ride and your husband can't possibly be bored. I'd spend two nights in Sedona. There really is penty to do and see.

Leave for the Grand Canyon that third morning. I'd go up 89 and enter from the eastern side of the park. Check out some of the viewpoints and see an unforgettable sunset. Stay at one of the places on the rim and get up early for sunrise the next morning. EVen if you are not an avid hiker, its worth it to walk on the Bright Angel Trail (even if its just a little ways) just to get a sence of what its like below the rim. See all you want to see at Grand Canyon that day and head for Las Vegas in the early afternoon. I felt like one night at Grand Canyon was enough.

That would leave you with three nights in Las Vegas, which felt adequate for me.
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 12:23 PM

Well Sedona and the Grand Canyon are totally different so you have that going for you. At Grand Canyon you're at the rim looking down into a massive whole in the earth and at Sedona you have these red rock monoliths jetting out of the ground.

Has you DH ever been to this area before? If he hasn't....he might be in for a big treat!

On your drive down to Phoenix you might be interested in stopping at Montezuma's Castle National Monument. Really good exhibit of cliff dwellings.

Utahtea
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 08:30 PM

HMC, I also agree if you are driving to Phoenix, you really should go to Sedona. Completely different than the GC.

Make sure you take 89A down to Sedona. Quite spectacular. (There's an outlook at the rim where you should stop as well for a little while.)

Agree also with stopping at Montezuma's Castle.

And if you are staying in Phoenix for a day, make sure you go to the Heard Museum.
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 05:09 AM
emd

HMC: Does he golf? Does he fish? If you want to have something for him to do in Sedona in Spring, he could do those things while enjoying the incredible views. Golfing w/the red rocks around you is pretty amazing. Fishing on Oak Creek is great- it is stocked w/trout, drop in a line and you have a fish. Fishing is better by early summer, but the fish will be there in spring too. Also, the hiking is very good there. And the biking trails are good too. Does he like astronomy? Lowell Observatory (where Pluto was discovered) is in Flagstaff, and they open their telescopes at night to the public frequently in spring. Spring is a great time in Sedona.
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 06:43 AM
emd

There is also good horseback riding our by Red Rock State Park at Trail Ride Adventures. You can do a ride that crosses a tributary of Oak Creek. And that State park has full moon evening hikes. Sedona has alot of good festivals, so check the city tourism website for the weekend you will be there.