Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Los Angeles, Grand Canyon, Sedona, Page, Las Vegas

Old Feb 11th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok! So i am overwhelmed planning this trip for my family (4 adults and one 5 year old).
We want to cover all these places (subject line).
We live in Los Angeles, and will be driving everywhere, and we want to have LV as our last place to visit before we head back to Los Angeles.

My question is:
1) Should we drive first to Sedona (2 nights stay at a home)?
2) Should we drive first to Grand Canyon (1 night at Maswik)?
3) Where do we insert Page (1 night) - we want to do the Antelope Canyon tour in the afternoon and the Colorado River float too...

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Our travel begins 4/14.

Zabby
Old Feb 11th, 2012, 10:38 AM

The Grand Canyon is in between Sedona and Antelope Canyon, and ending the trip with Antelope Canyon to Kanab UT to Las Vegas certainly makes sense, given that you want to end with LV.

So I would simply do LA -> Flagstaff -> Sedona -> Grand Canyon -> Antelope Canyon -> Las Vegas -> Los Angeles.

That first part will be a DOOZY. I hope you can avoid a lot of screaming and crying and fussing during this long ride -- and also keep the five-year-old from making trouble.
Old Feb 11th, 2012, 10:47 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Paul has the order right IMO. You will be coming north from Williams and leaving the South Rim going east to Cameron and US 89 to Page. If you have the extra time, drive through Zion NP on US 89 to St. George Utah and then south on I-15 to LV.
Old Feb 11th, 2012, 11:32 AM

You could also take I-10 east towards Phoenix instead of I-40 to get to Sedona. Google maps has the travel time as almost identical (8 minutes longer for the I-10 route). I-10 would allow you to do the trip without covering the same road(s) twice which will happen if you go to Sedona via Flagstaff.

Really it probably depends on where in LA you are starting from and which route gets you out of the city quicker and easier. After Sedona, the itinerary PaulRabe gave is the best way to go.
Old Feb 12th, 2012, 10:30 PM

If you are looking for a place to stay in Vegas you might want to check out the M Resort. 20 minutes from the heart of the Strip, but is very nice and they are offering 30% off room rates for California residents. Great rooms, pool etc. Check their website.