GC-Sedona-Vegas

Old Jul 15th, 2004, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GC-Sedona-Vegas

I'm hearing so much about Sedona that I was wondering if I could add that to the itinerary.

We'll be arriving in Vegas on a Wed in October and departing the following Tuesday. Can anyone suggest a workable Vegas-GC-Sedona itinerary, or would that be trying to squeeze in too much? My husband said he doesn't want to spend more than a day (sleepover) at the GC.

Thanks!
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 11:19 AM

Are you flying in and out of LV? We did a little road trip for a bit longer than that. We flew to LV, stayed 3 night, then 1 night GC, 1 Sedona, 2 Tuscon and 2 Scottsdale. We flew home from Pheonix (scottsdale). If you have to get back to LV to go home, that could be quite a bit of driving.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 11:31 AM

NYgirl,
You could try something like this:
Spend W & TH nights in Las Vegas. (Hotels get more expensive on weekend)

On Friday, drive to Grand Canyon and spend the night there.

Saturday get up early and see sunrise at Grand Canyon, see scenic overlooks by way of shuttle. Then drive to Sedona, leaving Grand Canyon by heading east on 64 toward Cameron. Then take Hwy 89 south and stop off at Wupatki national monument and Sunset Crater (volcano) by way of Hwy 395 loop.

Stay in Sedona SAT and SUN nights.

On Monday, head back to the glitz of Las Vegas and stay there MON & TUES nights and fly home WED.

We're doing something kind of similar the second week of August. The more I research it though, I'm kind of wishing we had more time at Grand Canyon and Sedona. Lots of cool Native American pueblos / ruins /cliff dwellings to see. I'm just afraid hubby and kids will get "bored" with Indian ruins/scenery. They are way more excited about Las Vegas, but I think thats because they've never seen Arizona before. If nothing else, it will be a glorious vacation of contrasts!

Where will you be staying in Vegas?

Have fun planning all of it. I've been obsessed with our trip for months now.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 11:39 AM

It's definitely plenty of driving. LV to the Grand Canyon will be at least five hours. GC to Sedona will be two hours, a little longer if you exit from the east end and head south on 89. Sedona back to LV will be at least five hours. So you'd be spending at least 12 hours of travel time in four days (not counting your two travel days to and from LV). It would be way too much traveling for me.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

That sounds like a sweet plan, mwessel. I figured we'd be doing alot of driving no matter what, and I think Sedona may be worth the extra miles. We'll be staying at the Luxor, unless we find a better last minute deal.
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 06:21 PM

I would suggest spending two nights at the Grand Canyon so you have one full day at the Canyon. I would suggest exiting the park on Hwy 64 towards Cameron and then take Hyw 89 south to Flagstaff. There are many canyon overlooks to see and it's a very scenic drive.

Utahtea