Hana Maui Ranch - cottages & AC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2004, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am staying at the hana Maui Ranch in September, I just realized that the cottages do not ahave air conditioning.... is this a problem, my husband and i sleep with the A.C. on every night in the summer (live in NY)
they have ceiling fans, and say to leave th esliding doors open (imagining there is a screnn..?)
but still, it must be kind of hot..?
any experiences with this???
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 03:11 PM

You can expect overnight temps in the upper 70s in Hana in September. The ceiling fan helps, and you'll have those wonderful oceanfront breezes, too.

Love that hotel!!
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

thanks, that didnt sound very reassuring though..
should I stay only 2 nights instead of 3? I am wondering if we'll be able to sleep...

we could add a 7th night on to our Grand Wailea reservation..

or is Hana Ranch deserving of 3 nights???
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 09:13 PM

I have never had A/C in any place I have ever stayed in Hana, and never had a need for it. FWITW, I live quite close to the beach in south Maui and have never used my A/C, thanks to my many large windows and ceiling fans. The breezes will cool you, and some nights I even feel the need to pull up the blanket or close the windows.
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 11:10 AM

Beware of places in Maui telling you that you don't need a/c. We were told that when we booked a condo in Kaanapali, but opted for one with it and we were NOT sorry. The temps for Sept in Hana are a bit higher than Kaanapali (according to wunderground.com) and a day in the high 80s will mean a toasty little cottage. Personally, I wouldn't even consider the place. My husband and I also prefer a/c at night here in MI.

We learned in Maui that the reason that many resorts and cottages do not have a/c is not because they don't need it, but because the limited electrical resources are prioritized to hi-rise resorts. There are waiting lists for some of the other resorts to get a/c with no timeline in sight. I'm not sure how much of this is correct...only going by what I was told while making reservations.

Everyone's tolerance for heat, especially while sleeping, is different. We opted for it just to be safe.

BTW, the a/c at the GW (where we also stayed in Jan) keeps the room about 75, which to me is kind of warm. You have your own thermostat, but it's hard to get it much cooler no matter what you set it at. However, the ceiling fans in their rooms help.
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 12:15 PM

It sounds like someone was feeding you a good story, SoonerOrLater. You can go down to Home Depot today and buy an air conditioner if you'd like. Generally, the newer the resort, the greater chance you will have for A/C and new buildings are going in everyday, complete with A/C. But many of the resorts need A/C because they are built for maximum occupancy, and not to take advantage of our naturally cooling breezes, as you will find that the Sea Ranch Cottages are. My house faces the ocean and only a rare day do we have no breezes at all, and even then, the house is constructed with the climate in mind, with very large windows and ceiling fans.

In Hana the trade winds cool the air and the Sea Ranch Cottages have floor to ceiling windows. Yes, there are screens. And you will be lulled to sleep by cool breezes and the sound of the ocean, and if you are lucky, you be awakened by the sound of rain just at sunrise, which is as spectacular on that side of the island as the sunsets on the west side.

I have been to NY in the summer and found the night air to be stifling. I can understand why someone from the east coast would feel the need to run A/C all night. But here the nights do cool. Low 70's is normal (70? is averge overnight temp in Hana) and I often feel the need for a wrap at night.

It would be a shame to cancel plans based on the fact that there is no A/C. Think of this way--the Hotel Hana Maui is a 5 star resort. Don't you think they would install A/C if it was really necessary?
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 12:15 PM

To lasjas:
The area around Hana is gorgeous, lush, tropical, and some say even mystical. If this intrigues you, then by all means stay 3 nights. I was there for 5 nights, and would have stayed for more if time had permitted.

To soonerorlater:
Temperature seems to be a very subjective topic...what's warm to one person, is comfortable to another. My husband pulls on the quilt, while I don't even use the coversheet. As for the temps in Hana, because it is east-facing, it doesn't get nearly as warm as the south- and east-facing shores. Even when daytime temps are in the high 80s in Hana, they drop as soon as the direct afternoon sun is blocked by the pali.

Hana is gorgeous -- worth the drive, even if only for a daytrip.
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

i wouldnt even consider cancelling the stay at Hana, but we are going to stay only 2 nights, not because of the A/C dilemma, but becasue I want more time at the GW. If I am lucky, I will wish I stayed at the Hana Ranch longer and if we love it that much, we can always try to stay a 3rd night anyway and call the GW to say we'll be a day late.

if it's low 70's at night, that is warm for me, you'd never catch me in a rap if it's over 60 - 65 degrees.

I am sure that the hotel is going to be a highlight of our trip, Hana is certainly a place that we have never even come close to encountering an experience like that!

soooo excited for this trip!
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 03:58 PM

Lasjas, I hope you didn't get from my post that you should cancel your reservations. I looked at the place online and it truly looks very nice. I only stated that 'personally', I wouldn't consider a place w/o a/c. We went to Maine a few weeks ago, and most of the vacation rentals had NO a/c. We finally found one that did, and one of the days it was so humid that we were glad we could close the windows and dehumidify the place. And this was on the Atlantic coast of Maine!

Maui Revealed states that the Hana Maui Ranch is being remodeled and they liked what they saw. There is no mention of a/c, but MR rarely brings that up as an issue. You have to discover that yourself.

If you are looking for two completely diverse experiences, and from being at the GW only a few months ago with the incredibly luxurious decor of that hotel, I think the Hana Maui Ranch will be wonderful but just on a different scale. I will be anxious to read about your trip after you come back, if you have time to post your opinions. We plan to return in Feb 2006.
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

soonerorlater....exactly, the Hana Ranch will most likely be spectacular but totally differnt kind of spectacular from the Grand Wailea. I am very excited to experience something like the Hana Ranch, I have stayed at numerour luxurious resorts, on the GW scale..but never ever something like Hana.

I most certainly will post when we return, afterall, I had a lot of help from these boards! and will still be looking for help during the next 45 days, til our trip!

Old Jul 16th, 2004, 06:21 PM

lasjas, it sounds like you are trying to decide how many nights in Hana, 2 or 3. If you like manicured (i.e.man-made)and "safe" surroundings, lots of shopping and restaurants, you will probably enjoy the Wailua area more than Hana. In that case I would say book only 2 nights at Hotel Hana-Maui.

If, on the other hand, you enjoy wild natural beauty and have a sense of adventure and exploration you will want more time in Hana. Not much shopping here, and the only restaurant worth eating at is in your hotel. Neither choice is right or wrong - it's just a matter of personal taste.