Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Hotel Hana Maui at begining or end of Maui trip

Mar 17th, 2004, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Hi

My husband and I are going to Hawaii next Sept. We are staying 6 nights on Maui. Four of the nights will be at the Napali Kay but we do want to stay 2 nights at the Hotel Hana Maui. My question is should we stay at the Hotel Hana Maui first two nights or the last two nights? We fly out at 9 am for Kaui so would it be better to drive to the airport from Hana or Napali?

Thanks
Mar 17th, 2004, 09:41 AM

I'd vote for the last 2 nights. This way you can get all the sightseeing and running around out of the way and just enjoy the calm tranquility of Hana.
Mar 17th, 2004, 09:52 AM

You're better off going at the end of trip. On our first trip we also split our time with another resort and went to Hana first. Once there, we spent the next three days trying to extend our stay in Hana!
Mar 17th, 2004, 11:56 AM

Hotel Hana Maui is divine...but you mention that you will be departing Maui on a 9a.m. flight. From Kahului or Hana?

If from Kahului, be aware that you will need to allow 2 hours to make the drive from Hana...and you will be expected to be at the gate for departure one hour prior to departure.
Mar 17th, 2004, 11:57 AM
gyppielou

Yes, save Hana for the end! Always wanted to stay at Napali Kai Beach Club... it's a special property. You'll love Hana, try the wasabi french fries!!! and share the grilled fish eggs benedict, plenty enough for 2! Can't get enough of Hana!

Mar 17th, 2004, 12:02 PM

Because of the time of your flight, it would be better for you to start off the trip with Hotel Hana. It will enable you to relax and chill out for a couple of days, plus you won't have to hurry out of there at 6 or 7 am to catch your flight. You will be able to check out and take your time getting back to Lahaina (do you mean Napili Kai?). By the time you get to your second hotel you will be rested, pampered and ready to do touristy things.
Mar 17th, 2004, 12:12 PM
gyppielou

good argument! The more time in Hana the better IMHO

Mar 17th, 2004, 02:05 PM
gyppielou

and we too loved Ladera!

Mar 18th, 2004, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Hi Thanks for the input. After reading all your responses I think we are leaning for Hana for the 1st two nights because of the flight times and being able to chill out after and 8 hour flight. It sounds like maybe we should stay 3 days at each resort instead of 4/2.

Kay
Mar 18th, 2004, 01:11 PM
gyppielou

3 and 3 is the perfect solution...and what are your plans in Kauai?

Mar 18th, 2004, 02:13 PM

What time are you landing in Maui? You do NOT want to drive to Hana in the dark, especially after 'an 8 hour flight'. Sunset is 6:30pm on Maui. We were there last week and did the road to Hana thing. Did not stay in Hana, but definately would next time! If you're flying out of Kahului airport at 9am, you had better stay in Hana on the first part of your trip (assuming you have time to drive to Hana in the daylight)as the drive from Hana to the Kahului airport is rather long, and, consider you must be at the airport an hour before your flight also. If you can arrange to fly out of Hana airport, I'd stay in Hana the last part. We loved Hana and do NOT miss the drive on the other side of Hana along the coast, some of the best scenery in Hawaii!!
Mar 18th, 2004, 06:24 PM

I would stay in Hana last and fly out of Hana. Several Small airlines fly out of there and no big lines. You would have to rent from Budget so that you can drop off in Hana instead of the same place you rented from. It's a 100 extra charge though. Pacific Wings, Hawaii Taxi are a few of those plane that will fly you out of Hana and at prices very close to the big boys.
Mar 19th, 2004, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Hi everyone

Our flight from Dallas is supposed to get into Maui at 3 pm. So I am thinking that if we went by the grocery store and stocke dup on supplies we will need for the week then drove up to Paia maybe we could have an early dinner/late lunch at Mama's and then get to Hana by nightfall???

We already have our interilsnad flights arranged and paid for.

Our plans for Maui are to do the road to Hana, go to the Winery, maybe Halakea (sp) for sunset (not sunrise) shop snorkel relasx on beachs eat out , ioa needle,maybe parasail on day. So would itenerary support 3 ngihts at each resort?

We will be spending 5 nights on Kaui. Our plans for Kaui are to do the helicopter or bi-plane tour, movie location tour, some light hiking, beaches, waimea canyon, maybe kayaking. We are thinking of staying at Hanalie Colony Resort on the north shore as this is the most beautiful area.

I would like to find a romantic intimate b&b or small inn. The only thing that fits the bill is the one I mentioned here.
Mar 19th, 2004, 12:04 PM

Kaymit.

I haven't been to Maui yet so you might want to take my comments lightly, but believe it's a 2 1/2 drive to Hana with no stops. If you plane arrives at 3 pm (if it's on time), it will probably take you 45 min to collect your bags and rental car. Then an hour at least eating dinner at Mama's and that would be with no wait. By this time it is about 5 or 5:30pm. It starts getting dark around 6:30. I would be concerned about it getting dark before you get there.

I too was very interested in taking the Bi-plane tour on Kauai, but after talking to my brother-in-law who is a helicopter and plane pilot he convinced me that you will see a LOT less views in the Bi-plane because of the way you sit. I even showed him the website. He said it would be very fun, but if my goal was to see the views then the helicopter ride was what I needed to take. So.... that's what we are going to do - it depends on your preference.

On the Northshore we are staying at www.secretbeachkauai.com I have read at least 5 magazine articles about this place including the February Conde Traveler picking this as one of the top 10 romantic non-resort places to stay in Hawaii.

Do have a GREAT trip and happy planning. It's certainly been alot of fun for me.
Mar 19th, 2004, 12:48 PM

Kaymit, I've driven the road to Hana after dark half a dozen times, and it is not for the faint of heart. The core stretch of 30 miles is essentially a one-lane road with pullovers to pass, and it twists and doubles back on itself with great regularity. There are no guardrails. Every week, the county pulls a couple of cars from out of one or another of the ravines. There ain't no roads like the Hana Highway back in Texas.

If your flight gets in at 3, you should be in your rental car before 4. Start for Hana and get there by dusk. Stock up the next morning at Hasegawa's. This is serious advice: you don't want to be driving the road after dark if you haven't done it before in the day.
Mar 19th, 2004, 02:26 PM

I loved Hana - we just got back from 5 nights in Wailea and 2 at Bamboo Inn in Hana - which was absolutely perfect!! It costs a lot less than Hotel Hana Maui you might want to look into it - hanahale.com

Definitely don't plan to drive in dark - the road is all ready dark in late afternoon because it is on north side of mountain and heavy vegetation. Without stopping you could easily do drive in 2 hours (with good road conditions)
Mar 19th, 2004, 08:08 PM
gyppielou

You've inspired so many wonderful responses! I would stick with the Napali first 3 nights, and then leisurely make your way to Hana for 3 nights, stopping at Halliemaile General Store or Mama's for lunch. The sunrise drive to the airport will be lovely, as will be Hanalei, Kauai!!! The winery is ok, although the pineapple wine opens up quick and loses its appeal in my opinion. Iao Needle, also, is lovely, and the crater, but you can do just as well relaxing and enjoying the whole west area during your 3 days, or spend a half day exploring Makena and walk the Wailea walk. Check out Hamoa Bay House and Bungalow, and Heavenly Hana.com as alternatives to the lovely Hotel Hana, only if you are looking to save $ and have cooking facilities, great homes! I'm framing my second Margaret Bidell print from the gallery in Hana! You can bottle it, and you can take it home with you! Best wishes again!

Mar 22nd, 2004, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great responses. On our honeymoon to St. Lucia we drove at night without any problems but I don't want to temp fate so I think we will listen to all of you who have gone before us and go straight to Hana and have dinner there our first night. We will just spend the next few days doing all we want to to in the Hana area before going to Napili.
Mar 22nd, 2004, 10:01 AM

You can have a lovely dinner at the hotel. We thoroughly enjoy the food and the atmosphere and have found it to cost a bit less than a meal at Mama's.