Extra 6 hours en route from Phoenix to Marble Canyon for a rafting trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2012, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We arrive in Phoenix at 11AM and supposedly it's a 4-hour drive to Marble Canyon...through Sedona.

So if we drove straight we'd get to our hotel at 3PM. Our outfitters don't have a "day before" orientation, so we don't need to be there at any specific time. So the question is what to do with our extra 6 hours. Are there short trails to hike or anything else to see in Marble Canyon? Would it be worthwhile to stop in Sedona...and are there short trails to hike there? Any recommendation about specific trails/sites in either place are welcome. Thanks.
Old Jul 9th, 2012, 09:19 AM

According to google maps it is 4 hours 48 minutes from the Phoenix airport to Marble Canyon. That is a direct route bypassing Sedona, and assuming you are flying into Phoenix rather than driving from somewhere. So in reality, going through Sedona would make it over 5 hours to Marble Canyon. Still gives you 5 hours of time to do something.

I looked at your other thread and it appears that you are doing a 4 day rafting trip, followed by 2 days in Vegas. Is it correct to assume then that the only time you have to do anything else is on the drive to Marble Canyon, and then the drive from there to Las Vegas?

I think it's hard to get a good feel for Sedona in just a few hours. There certainly are some good hikes but others will have to comment as I've done very little hiking there.

I would stop at Montezuma's Castle on the way, then drive through Sunset Crater and Wupatki National Monuments for sure. They are all right on the way and in total would probably add about 2-3 hours to your travel time. Maybe save a stop in Sedona until your drive to Vegas? Or spend all 5 hours in Sedona and then drive through Sunset Crater and Wupatki on your way to Vegas....that might make more sense.

When you get to Marble Canyon, you are very close to Page, Antelope Canyon and Horseshoe Bend. You may want to check into touring Antelope Canyon. Horseshoe Bend is very easy and doesn't take much time.
Old Jul 9th, 2012, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Yes, we're flying in Saturday. Rafting Sunday-Tuesday, hiking out Wednesday, staying on the rim of the Canyon Wednesday night, driving to Vegas Thursday morning, shows in Vegas on Thursday/Friday nights, flying home Saturday.

I should pull out a map. Are Sedona, Sunset Crater, and Wupatki between the South Rim of the Canyon near Bright Angel and Vegas?

Also, considering seeing Hoover Dam while in Vegas? Worth it or boring? Especially for a 17-year-old boy.
Old Jul 9th, 2012, 10:42 AM

I think Hoover Dam is worth the visit. Do the longer complete tour, IMOP.
Old Jul 9th, 2012, 11:31 AM

Sunset Crate and Wupatki are east of Flagstaff, right off the highway that you'll be driving on your way to Marble Canyon.

Sedona is SW of Flagstaff, not too far off the interstate coming from Phoenix. But if you're coming from the Grand Canyon, most people drive through Oak Creek Canyon which takes about 30-45 minutes longer.
Old Jul 9th, 2012, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

WhereAreWe, thx for your suggestions. I looked up the 3 sights you mentioned near Flagstaff and they all look cool. So that will be our plan. Thx for helping a lazy planner.
Old Jul 9th, 2012, 04:31 PM

It would probably add about an hour if you take the detour through Sedona and then drive up Oak Creek Canyon to reconnect with I-17. Longer if you stop to poke around in some of the shops, like Tlaquepaque http://www.tlaq.com/

Probably another hour if you took the detour off 89 thru Sunset Crater and Wupatki National Monuments. Longer if you spend time at all the pull-outs and exhibits.

You could pick one option and spend some quality time there or do both detours and still arrive at Marble Canyon in time for sunset.