surcharge wireless internet in NY hotel

Mar 29th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

surcharge wireless internet in NY hotel

Is anyone know how much usually the hotels in NY charge for the wireless internet in the guest room. thank you
Mar 29th, 2007, 04:20 PM

I recently stayed at the MArriott Courtyard Times Square and it was free. Ditto last week at a hotel in nearby New Jersey.
Mar 29th, 2007, 04:53 PM

It will depend on which hotel you are staying at. As the previous poster said at the Marriott Time Square it's free. I stayed at the Carlyle recently and believe it was $25 or $30 per day. The only way to be sure is to check directly with the hotel you are considering
Mar 29th, 2007, 07:01 PM

We stayed at the Travel Inn on 42nd Street a couple of weeks ago, and, if I recall correctly, they charged us $6.95 a day.
Mar 30th, 2007, 02:55 AM

I'm curious to know if the charges were for wireless internet or regular hi speed internet access. I think wireless when available is usually free, no?
Mar 30th, 2007, 04:25 AM

No, wireless access is not always free in hotels.

I use an antenna with my PC which sometimes helps me pick up connections which are, in fact, free.

The ones in hotels may or may not be encrypted/free. The Marquis Marriott, also on Times Square charges for theirs but when i was there a couple weeks ago I logged onto a nearby free one.
Mar 30th, 2007, 01:59 PM

The internet at the Travel Inn was wireless; we had to go to the front desk to receive a code that enabled us to log in. What was really annoying was that each of us had a laptop, but we could only use one access code per computer, so we would have had to pay for each different computer to get on the internet. We decided to just use one and take turns, since we weren't spending much time in the room, but it took some work for me to be able to access my e-mail account from my son's computer.
Mar 30th, 2007, 08:04 PM

We have noticed more than once that the fancier the hotel the more likely they charge for their wireless connection. I believe it was a Fairfield Inn (a Marriott property) where my inlaws stayed and it was free. But we stayed in the full San Francisco Marriott and it was $18 a day (so we did not use it).