Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

10-Year Anniversary Trip Planning - Please Help

Sep 10th, 2006, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

My wife and I will be celebrating our 10-year anniversary in October 2008. Even though it is more than two years away, the subject of where we would like to go has come up on many occasions. We were either thinking of San Francisco with some day trips to other places in Northern California or Las Vegas with day trips to Grand Canyon and Utah. We are thinking of going away for at least 10 days. If anyone can assist, it would be greatly appreciated.
Sep 10th, 2006, 10:14 AM

We went to San Francisco and Northern California in late May, and it was by far my most favorite vacation we've taken in the U.S. We flew into Oakland and then drove to Mendocino for 3 nights, then Napa for 3 nights, and San Francisco for 2 nights. Since you have a few days more to play with, I would probably switch from Napa to Sonoma and then add one night in for San Francisco. That would be *my* dream Northern CA vacation.

The scenery in Northern CA is absolutely stunning...the coast near Mendocino reminded me of the North Shore of Maui. Fabulous food, drink, views, and people our entire vacation. LOVED it!!!
Sep 10th, 2006, 10:47 AM

I think you could start by checking weather in both places at that time of year on wunderground.com

Apart from that, without some more input from you on your likes/dislikes, or travel history, it's impossible to advise. I went to Venice, Italy for my 10th and couldn't think of a better, more romantic choice. I do like San Francisco very much.
Sep 10th, 2006, 02:23 PM

I can't imagine what anyone would do for 10 days in Las Vegas, even with a couple of day trips elsewhere. San Francisco, on the other hand, is just beautiful and there is a lot to do in the area.

Lee Ann
Sep 10th, 2006, 04:49 PM
trippinkpj

Day trips like you are talking about, are a little long from Las Vegas. If you do that trip, just spend 3 or 4 nights tops in LV. Then you can spend 2 or 3 nights at different spots (Grand Canyon, Zion, etc.).
I personally vote for the San Francisco/ Napa/ Sonoma trip that beanweb described. You could also do a San Francisco/ Monterey are combo trip. And fly into SJC (San Jose) which is between SF and Monterey. A little closer to the city.

Oct 23rd, 2006, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

After discussing with my wife, we have decided to to visit SF/Northern California for our 10-year anniversary trip. We would like to visit SF for at least three days with side trips to Napa Valley, Sausalito, Monterey, & Carmel among others. I know the more I research, the more I will want to see. Has anyone done a 10-day trip in this area and if so, what did you see and where did you stay & eat? Since it is a special occasion trip, I would like to start doing preliminary research now. I have read other threads related to mine. Thank you again for any assistance anyone can give
Oct 23rd, 2006, 09:02 AM

Here's a link to my trip report from Northern California - it was our favorite trip we've had in the U.S.

For a special anniversary sleepover in Napa, check this out:

http://www.poetryinn.com/index.html

I haven't stayed here (yet) but it's on my list. Happy planning!
Oct 23rd, 2006, 09:02 AM

This time with the trip report link:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34816300
Oct 23rd, 2006, 09:54 AM

Hi spb,

I'm working on planning my 10th anniversary for October 2008, too. I'm also looking at San Francisco and the Napa Valley. Someone did a trip report about biking the Napa Valley. It sounded fantastic.

We're also debating Paris and Costa Rica. So many choices!

Have fun planning.
Oct 23rd, 2006, 03:28 PM

Hi spb... sounds like a great plan to explore SF & surrounding areas. Here's a link to a trip report of mine from our 20th Annivy trip to Carmel and the surrounding area. One of our most memorable and lovely trips... I can smell it just thinking about it. Have a wonderful time planning! That's half the fun!! ><

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34452270
Oct 24th, 2006, 10:12 AM

After 25 years of my husband telling me we have to go CA. We opted to spend our 25th in SanFran/Monterey/Yosemite/San Luis Obispo. He hadn't been back since he left the Army in Monterey 25 years earlier. I was pleasantly surprised with the trip, as we never got caught in "ugly" traffic, as I had always feared. I just asked to go back for our 3oth, as there was more to be seen, as we didn't make Napa.
Mar 30th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Original Poster

We have changed our minds since originally starting this thread. We are still considering San Francisco but are now also considering a return trip to Walt Disney World staying on Disney property. I saw that in 2004 a thread titled Disney World vs San Francisco was already started but I could not reply to it to see how the user who started the thread made out. I would appreciate any feedback.