Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Has Anybody Seen Spamalot at the Wynn in Las Vegas? How Are the Seats?

Mar 19th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

I find myself in Las Vegas on business, and am thinking of taking in "Spamalot" at the Wynn. By the way, tickets are discounted 25%through March 30 - yea! Anyway, about seats -- does anybody have an opinion about orchestra vs. mezzanine seating in this theater? Side orchestra? Or obstructed views, etc.?

Mar 19th, 2007, 04:57 PM

We saw it about ten days ago, the second night of the previews - loved it, even my hubby who didn't know much about Monty Python! We sat on the right side of the mezzanine, which was a slightly obstructed view of the closer side of the stage, but I don't think we missed anything. The theatre is not huge so I don't think there are any horrible seats. I heard the first two rows of the orchestra aren't good because you have to look up severely, so sit further back and you should be fine.

We did have an unusual experience during our performance - there was a technical glitch with the lift in the middle of the stage and they had to stop the show and put down the curtain. Who should bound up on stage but the author and original Python himself, Eric Idle! I was beyond thrilled! He gave an impromptu ten minute comedy routine to pass the time - brought the house down! Then the glitch was fixed and the show proceeded - but what a great screw up!

Make sure to leave time to visit the Monty Python exhibit in the corridor outside the lobby on your way into the theatre - hilarious!
Mar 19th, 2007, 08:23 PM
Original Poster

I'm such a fan of Monty Python. I'll bet that's one glitch that you're happy about!

Thanks for your advice. In the end, there wasn't much choice, as the only night I had free was almost sold out. Hubby is flying out to spend the weekend with me and I was able to get 2 tickets...just not together. We're in rows L & M, seats 24 and 26 -- close but not together. Hopefully that's far enough back so that we don't get neck strain.

We'll be sure to make time for the exibit, thanks again for the heads-up on that.
Mar 30th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

***TRAVEL REPORT***
We had a great time at the show. Some ideas: We ate across the street at Magiano(sp?) italian restaurant. It was good, but we did not allow enough time for it. You would need to get there around 2 hours before the show. In retrospect, I think we would have had a meal of comparable quality and price, but more convenient, at the Wynn (where the show is).

When you come into the hotel, turn to the left and go past the Sports Book to get to the theater. It will take you past some restaurant areas for food. The reservation agent for the show recommended that we check out the restaurants; wish we had.

As for seats at the show -- I went to great pains to get Orchestra rows -- even to the point of getting 2 seats one behind the other. Don't bother. The mezzanine seats were excellent also (it's not a large theater, a little like Beach Blanket Babylon in San Francisco). Focus on being in the center, and if the mezzanine, then nearer to the front. Even if you can't get that, all seats seem to be pretty good -- not worth paying much more for one seat over another.

For those familiar with Monty Python and the Holy Grail -- this is the broadway version of that. Personally, I would have made some changes that fell between the two, but that is my viewpoint. Very funny, and well worth the price.

Go shopping at the store in front of the theater, or the general store for both theaters a bit farther out. I got a "Not Dead Yet" t-shirt. Thought maybe I should advertise it....
Mar 30th, 2007, 09:02 PM

Thanks for the report and so glad you enjoyed the show! It's just downright silly, and I love how it spoofs the theater in general - "can't have a show unless we have the Jews!" (you have to see it to get it!) Lots of money in set design and costumes, that's for sure! I plan to see it again when the touring company hits town here in Denver in a few months. I wish I had gotten a t-shirt too, because I'm Not Dead Yet either!