California Coast Vacation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2012, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was looking for thoughts on my itinerary from anyone familiar with the area, particularly the last part of the trip. I'm planning a 9 day trip up the California Coast. I currently have the following itinerary: Fly into LAX, 2 days in Manhattan Beach (visiting friends), 1 night in Santa Barbara, 1 night in Morro Bay, 3 nights in Big Sur, and 3 nights in Sonoma, flying out of San Francisco. Not sure if the Big Sur to Sonoma drive is too long and was considering 1 night in Half Moon Bay and 2 in Sonoma. While San Fran is nice, not looking to spend time in a major city (i.e., I live in NYC).
Old Apr 24th, 2012, 06:58 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
If you have never been to San Francisco I think you will find it much different from NYC. If the airfare is comparable, think about flying to San Francisco (or Oakland) and make your first night in CA either in Sonoma or Half Moon Bay. For driving down the coast, I like driving north to south avoiding left turns into the viewpoints.
Old Apr 24th, 2012, 06:59 AM

Are you planning on doing a lot of hiking in Big Sur? Otherwise, why 3 nights?

Personally, I find San Francisco very different from New York. There's not much of the crowded big city feel to San Francisco.

I'd suggest looking into the possibility of splitting up the last six days into two nights at Big Sur/Carmel, two nights in Sonoma/Healdsburg, and last two nights in San Francisco.

Have you looked at the drop off fees for picking up a car rental in one city and dropping off in another city? Could be hefty.
Old Apr 24th, 2012, 07:01 AM

I think your itinerary sounds great. It would be nice to stop in Half Moon Bay -- it's a pleasant little town with a nice main street, good food, beach....On your way from there to Sonoma, consider going further up the coast, north of San Francisco (Point Reyes, Tomales Bay).
Old Apr 24th, 2012, 07:02 AM

P.S. I agree with the others about San Francisco -- didn't recommend it because you had made a point about skipping it. It certainly is VERY different from NY (where I grew up and to which I return at least yearly, but I've lived in SF for nearly 40 years).
Old Apr 24th, 2012, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies so far. I appreciate the comments regarding San Fran, but I wanted to leave it off the itinerary. I've been a couple of times and understand it's a great city (and much different than NY). I feel that I have a chance to explore on periodic business trips, whereas driving the coast is an infrequent opportunity at best.

Regarding 3 days in Big Sur, I booked our stay at Ventana Inn (i.e., special anniversary). I thought we might hike around for a day, explore a bit, visit Carmel/Monterey and chill. My preference was to have a nice base camp for a few days and not be packing and moving to a new location every day.
Old Apr 24th, 2012, 07:57 AM

Big Sur is not on the coast, you know. It's inland, in a forest. It is charming, but three nights there would be too long, IMHO.

Personally, I would stay 2 nights in Santa Barbara, 1 or 2 in Big Sur.

And why Sonoma? There is lots of wine country on your drive up the coast. And Sonoma to SFO isn't a short drive.

Maybe spend more time on your drive south of SF, and not try to drive all the way to Sonoma. Choose more stays on the coast, or visit wineries or historic missions?
Old Apr 24th, 2012, 08:03 AM

Sonoma to SFO isn't a LONG drive, either (less than 1-1/2 hours). Depends what time they're leaving from SFO and whether they intend to drive directly from Sonoma to the airport. I'd personally keep Sonoma (Sonoma, Healdsburg, Dry Creek, Occidental) in the itinerary.
Old Apr 24th, 2012, 08:04 AM

As for the stay in Big Sur, since you've already made your plans at Ventana, no reason not to do this. Given the choice, I'd probably stay 2-3 nights in the Pacific Grove-Carmel area instead, and make the day trip south, rather than the other way around.
Old Apr 24th, 2012, 08:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Big Sur stretches inland from the coast. Here is an interesting, useful guide to the area:

http://www.bigsurcalifornia.org/
Old Apr 24th, 2012, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for the great suggestions and weblink. From what I've been reading it seems that Ventana has some flexibility as a destination spot in an of itself (with amenities, hiking, etc.) on premises. I hadn't thought about staying in Carmel and visting south but it's worth considering. Also sounds like a night in Half Moon Bay might make sense instead of a long drive (4hrs?) from Big Sur to Sonoma. We're leaving around noon on Tues from San Fran. I thought an early Sonoma departure (8am?) should give us time to get to the airport. Although, not sure about the rush hour situation on a Tues morning.
Old Apr 24th, 2012, 09:19 AM

Rush hour is bad, but nothing like NY. You'll have plenty of time if you leave Sonoma at 8.
Old Apr 24th, 2012, 09:21 AM

Or, if you're like me, you could stay near the airport on Monday night. Drive down from Sonoma late (no traffic), sleep, get up leisurely, have a nice breakfast, leave. The areas to look at are the airport hotels in Millbrae and Burlingame, or the hotels near El Camino in Millbrae.
Old Apr 24th, 2012, 09:41 AM

Personally - I would skip staying at Santa Barbara - and consider staying up at Danish themed Solvang - http://www.solvangusa.com/ or at one of the wineries in the Santa Ynez Valley. I would also skip staying at Morro Bay (nice to drive in and see) and perhaps spend a night at say Cambria - for Hearst Castle - or tour Hearst Castle on your way to Ventana - and btw - Ventana is very nice. If you didn't stay in say Cambria - you could add a night in Carmel/Monterrey - where you can visit the Aquarium/Cannery Row/take the 17 mile drive - and from there - you could drive easily drive up to Sonoma in a day.

Now having said that - Half Moon Bay is also nice and a pretty drive from the Monterrey area.

Decisions, Decisions, eh?
Old Apr 24th, 2012, 09:48 AM

Three nights at Ventana Inn would be an extremely romantic, peaceful, serene, relaxing get away. The commute from there to the sites, activities, and restaurants in the Carmel area would be about 40 min on a winding coastal road with spectacular scenery. If you want less serenity and romance and less driving, you could spend 1 night at Ventana and 2 in the Carmel/Monterey/Pacific Grove area. Either way, it's a glorious vacation.
Old Apr 24th, 2012, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Decisions, decisions, yes! However, all good
Old Apr 24th, 2012, 09:52 AM

If it were me - and I normally am not a Nervous Nellie - I would leave Sonoma earlier than 8, more like 7. Even if you catch some rush hour traffic crossing the Golden Gate - enjoy the view and know you will not be missing your plane if something went somewhat wrong.

You could also stay Monday night at one of the motor inns down by the Golden Gate end of Lombard St. - and enjoy a lovely breakfast/brunch on Union St or Chestnut St and casually get to the airport from there - out 19th Ave - in maybe 45 minutes? I like the Chelsea Inn: http://www.chelseamotorinn.com/ and http://www.lombardstreethotels.com/
Old Apr 24th, 2012, 09:57 AM

BTW - I don't think I could tire of driving either up or down the Coast from Ventana, certainly not in 3 days. Just spectacular. And one day you could go into Carmel/Monterrey and tour the Aquarium and adjacent Cannery Row and take the 17 mile drive back to Carmel and have late lunch/dinner there - or head back to beautiful Ventana.
Old Apr 24th, 2012, 10:03 AM

>>

5 hours to go 57 miles (Sonoma town square to SFO)? Even at 20 miles an hour it would only take 3 hours!
Old Apr 24th, 2012, 10:21 AM

Let's work backwards SF7. These days - you need to be at the airport at least an hour ahead to check in, get through security, etc, righto? Add what - conservatively add half an hour to turn in the rental car and get to the passenger area?

Ok - for a noon flight - that's what 10:30? If you ran into any bad traffic, and or a possible accident on the freeway (guess I think more about that down here in Southern Cal)that could add another hour plus. Assuming "normal" driving time from Sonoma to SFO would take an hour and a half or so - even leaving at 8 am could be iffy. Odds are - probably not - but if I am flying cross-country - I like to minimize - with a big M - the chances of missing the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -