Scrooge and the internet

Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scrooge and the internet

Just finishing a round trip Seattle-LA for the Rose Parade. Every chain motel along the way trumpets "Free internet," but the LAX Westin wants five bucks for half an hour or about eleven bucks for all day. What cheapos!! (Please, no comments about how I "pay" for my free internet with my room...there is no comparison between what a Best Western gets per night and what the Westin gets.
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 05:52 PM

"every chain motel along the way trumpets "Free Internet". Really? The ones I stay at keep wanting something like $10 or $12 a day for a high speed connection (the only option they offer). I have seen some places like Hampton Inns advertise free internet, which meant they had a single computer near the lobby you could use. I've had little luck in the US finding free hookup in the room, although it is becoming a free perk if you join their clubs.
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 07:56 PM

Bob, I've noticed the same thing. Many upscale places charge for an Internet connection, but many less expensive places have either wireless or hard connections in the rooms. I've found most Best Westerns and Sheraton 4 Seasons have free access from the room.
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 07:58 PM

oops... I meant Sheraton 4 Points...
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 08:07 PM

Bobmrg - I totally agree. When I stay at more upscale hotels (like the Hyatt) I have to pay $10 + per day for internet service but at other hotels (like Best Western, Comfort Inn, Hampton Suites) I have found free internet service - and not just a computer in the lobby, but wireless in the rooms. I did have free access at the Marriott, but it was not wireless. It is similar to going to Starbucks and having to pay for T Mobile or going to an independent coffee shop and having free access!
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 12:53 AM

Doing research in advance is usually helpful and now that you've done some you'll avoid disappointment in the future, right?
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 03:12 AM

I find it nice to have the choice as to purchasing the service separately, if you like the terms of trade, rather than having the cost of the service bundled with the room rate, with no choice to decline it.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 05:15 AM

I had no idea that cheaper chains more often provide free service. That's surprising.

I was thrilled when I joined Wyndham Hotels club as it gave me free high speed service in their hotels -- normally $12.95 a day. We stayed in one of their Summerfield Suites for a month -- that saved me nearly $400 in internet service charges!

Lex1, I see your point. But the fact is that the service isn't costing the hotel enough to give a rebate to if you don't use it. I don't know the figures, but I'm willing to bet that a big hotel isn't paying $1 per room per day for the service itself. It is mainly just used as a way to run up the bill to the consumer -- offer something they might want or need and really soak them for it.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 05:25 AM

Hampton Inns have made a concerted effort to provide (free) wireless in their rooms. Internet service (wired and/or wireless) is usually available and FREE in the Hampton Inns, LaQuinta Inns and Suites and Holiday Inn Express hotels I stay in on a regular basis for business travel.

I think that mid-level /moderate segment are trying to follow the model that Courtyard by Marriott started - catering to the working Road Warrior.

Having free internet access does spoil you and I am amazed that Hiltons, Hyatt, Marriotts, etc. can get away with charging for it.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 05:42 AM

Sometimes we need to keep things in perspective. I would agree that it seems silly to be charged for Internet connection if your paying $300 a night for a room. But Recently I stayed at the Westin in Buckhead for $149 a night. and yes the internet was $12 for 24hours. But people, the Westin is not a Best Western. I had a beautiful room, beautiful linens, large bath, work out room, and room service. Your not going to get anything like it at a Best Western. Maybe the Best Western needs to give out free internet becuase its an old tired chain?
And remember even at the Westin you could also just plug into their phone line and for the price of a local call have internet service. Its not high speed, but guys..what are you doing that you need high speed?
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 05:44 AM

Speaking of that, is this the time to bring up that Marriott where we stayed for one night? I picked up the phone to confirm a dinner reservation near by, and saw a card attached to the phone. Basically it said that the phone is not activated. By using it, I will "activate" it and will be charged an activation fee of $15 after which all local calls will be free. So what they were telling me was that my one, one minute phone call to a restaurant two blocks away would cost me $15?
No, I don't travel with a cell phone.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 06:06 AM

Wow, at a Marriott? Because of my husband's travel we use Marriott quite a bit. And I don't believe I've ever seen that. Outrageous. And speaking of traveling for business, we husband and I stayed at the MGM in Las Vegas for a convention he had to attend. He also needed to use their internet line and was charged something like $15.99 a day (at least that amount). Because he's a business traveler his company picks up the charge. It makes me wonder how much extra they make off businesses by this extra charge the business traveler must have.

Old Jan 4th, 2007, 06:24 AM

I have always noticed that the more you pay for a hotel room the more you pay for all the incidentals. This includes but is not limited to parking (even in rural areas), resort fee, shuttle fees, phone charges, internet , etc... I'd much prefer to have it all factured into the cost of the room if it is an obligatory fee.
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 04:22 PM

Bob, it's funny you mention this. We were amazed when we found that a Hampton Inn (the lower-priced Hilton affiliate) in Birmingham offered a free wireless signal and a good, free in-room movie channel. Local calls are free and there's no surcharge for using a calling card. They have a very nice breakfast and will make up a takeaway breakfast bag on request. They have coffee and tea set up in the lobby around the clock and a little business center, all for less than $100 a night. This is a lot of bang for the buck, and since we're there two weekends a month (visiting our son who attends school in the area) they give us a preferred rate of $89.

I've had less service and fewer amenities in much, much nicer hotels.