Reload this Page >

Sunday Brunch on the Beach-Waikiki

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2005, 11:11 AM
iceeu2

I know I have read somewhere that on certain Sundays, there is Brunch on the Beach. Can anyone tell me about it..if they still have it..when it is...will they have one in May...and if there is a website or other way I can check it out...that is, if it still occurs.

Old Apr 6th, 2005, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It seems there was one last month:

http://www4.co.honolulu.hi.us/webcal...ay=1&year=2005

But I didn't see anything listed for April or May.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 11:49 AM

I checked the schedule for Sunset on the Beach, which usually happens the same weekend, and they didn't have a May schedule up yet. If you go, go early. My husband and I would usually wander down around noon and a lot of the food would be gone (darn jet-lagged tourists!) ;-)
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 12:04 PM
iceeu2

Patty, thanks for the website, that's exactly what I was looking for.

MerryTravel...here's my problem..this darned jet-lagged tourist will have a hard time waiting until 9 am since we are looking at a 6 hour time difference. I'm sure we will be up and raring to go by 5 am and just waiting for someone to feed us!

Old Apr 6th, 2005, 12:15 PM

I hadn't heard of this brunch - sounds great, but we left the day before the March one anyway.

iceeu2 - 6 hour time difference - that's what we had too, up early every day and early to bed most nights, but that's not bad for sightseeing.

Were are you that you are in the Atlantic time zone? I'm in Halifax.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 02:13 PM
iceeu2

bart, we are in the eastern time zone...6 hours now that we have gone on DST and Hawaii has not. Only 5 hours prior to springing forward! But to answer your question, we are in Georgia

Old Apr 8th, 2005, 09:28 AM

Brunch on the Beach is scheduled month to month as funding allows. I went to one in 2003 & really enjoyed it!
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 09:38 AM
iceeu2

oh wow, I hope the funds allow it when we are there.

Old Apr 8th, 2005, 07:35 PM

My husband and I went to this last August and loved it so much I sent a rave to the local newspapers about it. Someone in the mayor's office got back to me, very happy we liked the event. We'll be back in about two weeks, so I checked again. There was one in March, but not another one until June 5th, I think. Really bummed we'll miss the brunch!
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 03:45 AM
iceeu2

Oh bummer...we need it to be on May 15th!

Old Apr 17th, 2005, 10:39 AM

Brunch on the Beach is a fun experience. I live in Waikiki and enjoy it when it runs. We have a new Mayor who because of fiscal reasons had to scale back the Brunch on Beach from monthly to quarterly. So it will run four times a year. He's hoping that private sector will pick up the cost of the brunch.

When the Brunch runs it's not just the ono food but also the entertainment. Lots of good music.
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 01:09 PM

We'll be on Oahu on 5 June. Do you need to make reservations? What time does it start? How much does it cost? What part of Waikiki is it located?

It sounds like a fun event.
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 01:34 PM

They set up tables and chairs along the street and sidewalk in the heart of Waikiki. There are lots of different food booths, plus music and hula as well. Costs nothing except for the food. The vendors are normally Honolulu restaurants selling small plates of brunch type foods. Lots of fun, especially if you're staying in Waikiki and can walk down.
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 01:57 PM

The last time I went to one, it was set up right on Kalakaua Ave. They closed down part of the street in front of the Hyatt. You'll probably see them setting up the night before. I think it starts around 10:00am. Just grab a table, buy some food and enjoy the music and entertainment. The local restaurants set up booths.
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 02:28 PM

Oh, I see, it's not actually a "Brunch" per se. You just buy food from the different vendors and walk around and people watch? Is it all food booths or do they have arts/crafts booths also?
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 02:50 PM

I don't recall seeing arts and crafts booths. There's a stage set up with musical entertainment. You can walk around or sit down. They have tables with umbrellas set up all along the street, but the tables do fill up as it gets later.
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 01:09 AM

There are also low walls along the beach that you can sit on , and of course you could sit on the beach itself..It's only a few feet away.

There aren't any crafts booths at brunch, but if you are lucky enough to hit Sunset on the Beach, they do have crafts there.

Old Apr 19th, 2005, 04:58 PM

The city has cut the budget for Brunch on the Beach. Now it is only once per quarter. But there is discussion to make it more.
June 5 is the next Brunch on the beach.
It is located on Kalakaua Ave. It is free (you just pay for whatever you want to eat from street vendors). The entertainment (music, hula, etc.) is good.
On the negative side, Kalakaua Ave. is the main street through Waikiki. Traffic has to detour to Kuhio Ave. and it gets slow. So, if you are in Waikiki and need to get elsewhere during those few hours, make sure you leave a little earlier.