Paris - Is this itinerary doable?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2003, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been to Paris twice before and will be there again for 3 days at the end of the month. Being that the first day is basically wasted to jet lag and will be low key, that gives me two full days - a Saturday and a Sunday. I fly home on Monday afternoon.<BR><BR>Is it doable to take a sewer tour, go to the catacombs and the Musee d'Orsay on Saturday, going to the first two in the morning, and the Musee d'Orsay in the afternoon or is that too much for one day? If something needs to be eliminated should it be the sewer tour or the catacombs? Sunday will be a day trip spent in Chartres.
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 04:03 PM

My advice would be to go to the d'Orsay first thing in the morning. It's likely to be very crowded in the afternoon.
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 04:37 PM

Hi Sojourn,<BR><BR>You shouldn't need more than an hour for the sewer visit. I agree with Howard that you should go to the Orsay first so you don't run out of time or energy before you see everything you want to see. You could do all three in one day since I believe that the Catacombs also only require about an hour for the tour through.<BR><BR>You might want to reverse your days since there will be Masses on Sundays at Chartres and you'll not be able to go through the Cathedral while Mass in in progress. <BR><BR>I'm planning my next trip to Paris in April and I read in one of the many guide books I have in my table that one of the best times to see the Orsay Museum is early on Sunday morning (the museum open at 9:00 on Sundays).<BR><BR>Have a great trip,<BR><BR>Adrienne<BR>
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 04:42 PM

Musee d'Orsay nearly always has a long, long line. Best bet is to pick up a Carte Musees et Monuments, which also includes the sewers, though I'm not sure about the Catacombs or Chartres (see www.intermusees.com), which will allow you go to Orsay any time convenient and bypass the line.<BR><BR>The sewers, catacombs, and Orsay all involve much walking, and must be done by a 5:30 or so closing time, so I'd say that's all too much for one day, even with an early start.<BR><BR>Assuming you're arriving Friday morning, I'd make every effort to visit Musee d'Orsay on Friday afternoon, do the catacombs and sewers on Saturday, Chartres on Sunday.
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. djkbooks suggestions might make the most sense as there are time limitations for the catacombs and sewers on Saturday morning, one or both of the venues is closed on Sunday. Going to the Musee d'Orsay is doable on Friday, but it will be in the early afternoon. Also, there's a concert at the Chartres Cathedral on Sunday afternoon, that I thought I would attend.<BR><BR>So, now I'll need something eclectic to do on Saturday afternoon - any ideas?
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 07:24 PM

Why not do the sewers or the Catacombs on Friday. I waited in line for an hour to get into the sewers but it was outdoors in the fall and not to bad. The Catacombs was a &quot;walk on&quot;, so to speak. Then you can do the D'Orsay on Sat along with the one you did not do on Friday.
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 11:32 PM

What on earth would you want to go down a sewer if in Paris for three days?