Search

"Can't Miss" Things to do in Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2005, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Can't Miss" Things to do in Hawaii

Hi --

Going to Hawaii at the end of the month with my husband for the first time. Any recommendations on the best things to do while visiting Maui, Kauai, and Wakiki? We want to do a luau for sure and are pretty active (ie-cycling, hiking, etc.).

Please send advice!

Thanks!
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 11:50 AM

Get copies of Maui, Kauai and Oahu Revealed. Hike and snorkel! On Kauai, hike at least part of the Kalalau trail and the trail to the Alakai swamp at the top of the island, weather permitting. Go to Hanauma Bay early and beat the crowds.
Read the trip reports posted here for ideas...
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 11:58 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Eat "plate lunch" very important!
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 12:31 PM

Don't spend your time in Waikiki (but if you do, look for little cowry shells on Queens Beach, and visit the little aquarium). Go north. Or west. Drive to both ends of the island. Stop at every beach along the way. Eat shave ice at Matsomotos or Aokis in Halewa. Also, go to Maelekalana (shoot, that's not quite right) Park, and hike over to Goat Island at low tide. Ride around the North Shore, snorkel at Shark's Cove. Go to the Pali Lookout and try to throw a quarter into the wind. Stop at Jackass Ginger (ask someone), and hike.

If you like museums, the Bishop is really interesting. Eat chinese food at Maple Garden. That's Oahu.

In Kauai, go to the end of the road as far as you can in both directions. See the canyon (Waimea? Is that right? I'm doing this from memory.) Stop at every beach along the way. At the north end, snorkel and hike a bit of the Napali Trail (even if you just do it for 30 minutes, it's worth it). We went on a little boat thingie (like a blow-up raft, but with a motor), and I FROZE. But the views were great.

In Maui, drive the road to Hana, hike to the Seven Sisters (I think that's what it's called). Look for the black sand beach near Hana. Stop at beaches on the south end of the island and snorkel. Drive up to Haleakala at sunrise.

Take me!
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 12:40 PM

On Kauai - Please, please take the helicopter tour - it is something you will never forget. We used Air Kauai and they were great. Waimea Canyon, the NaPali Coast (both of which you will see from the air). Ke'e Beach and Lumahai Beach at the end of the North Shore are simply breathtaking. This island is a true paradise.

On Oahu - don't waste your money on the Atlantis submarine dive. The only fish we saw were at the 3 artificial reefs and not too many there either. The luau at the Polynesian Cultural Center is supposedly the best on the island, but I would spring for the Ambassador package and get the better luau. If you want souvenirs go to the Swap Meet on Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays at the Aloho Bowl, but get there early. Hanauma Bay is great but be there before 8am if possible. Closed Tuesdays.
Dukes in the Outrigger Waikiki is a great place to eat.

Wish I was going back!

Old Apr 1st, 2005, 12:56 PM

The hike to Waimoku Falls on Pipiwai Trail at the Seven Pools just past Hana.
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 02:02 PM

Save the luau for when you are on Maui and go to either Old Lahaina Luau or Feast of Lele.
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 08:32 PM

Wow! I cannot believe no one mentioned Pearl Harbor?! Go to the USS Arizona! Hint-when you go to watch the film, sit on the LEFT side down low in the theatre because that is where you exit to board the boat that takes you to the memorial. Then, sit on the RIGHT side of the boat.
That gives you the best view of the memorial as you approach. Best for picture taking!
Take the Home of the Brave Tour! It is sooooo good! I learned so much & heard a couple of great stories that I would have missed & these stories have stayed with me & touched my heart!
The USS Bowfin is a submarine at Pearl Harbor that is pretty interesting. If you are touring the USS Missouri also, you can get a great deal for $20 for both of these! With the Arizona being free, this is a great deal. The USS Missouri has the Surrender Deck where they signed the treaty ending WWII!
Pearl Harbor is a must!(If you happen to be on the Surrender Deck when a tour guide is telling the story of the surrender signing, pay attention. It is really interesting!
Oh! Be sure to get to the USS Arizona early-by 7am or 7:30am because the tickets are free & go fast. The earlier you go, the quicker you can get to see it!
Hope this helps anyone!
Aloha!
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 10:32 AM

On Kauai, I would definitely recommend a helicopter tour (we used Inter-Island) and hike the Napali Coast. These activities were the highlights of our trip! We used the Ultimate Kauai Guidebook and found it to be a great source of info. We had a car, so we ventured off some side roads and spent time on several virtually-deserted beaches. If you decide to rent a car, be careful on those unpaved roads - they are not maintained and are full of potholes, but the end result is worth it!
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 01:26 PM

I recommend the Paradise Cove Luau on Oahu. I've been to the Polynesian Cultural Center and the Old Lahaina Luau on Maui and Paradise COve is the best.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 10:14 AM

Hi dhross98,
I realize I'm biased, but I would pick up a copy of Fodor's Hawaii 2005 before you go. It's got everything you need to know about the activities, sights, restaurants and hotels on the Islands (plus shopping and nightlife information), and it's a great compact size for traveling. All of our writers are locals so you'll get an insider perspective on things.

Also- I think the best luau is the Old Lahaina Luau on Maui. Even my cynical, New Yorker husband liked it. Reserve before you go, as it tends to book up. You can cancel up to a day before if you can't make it for some reason.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 11:35 AM

You can pick up free entertainment guides bsically everywhere, at sidewalk dispensers around Waikiki, 101 things to do, etc. etc.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 10:38 AM

Some of the things on my "can't miss" list for Oahu are - macadamia nut pancakes at Boots & Kimo's in Kailua, a visit to Chinatown to shop & just enjoy the ambience - AND the yummy pastries, I love going to the Iolani Palace - for a tour or just to walk around the grounds, sitting in a rocking chair on the lanai of the Sheraton Moana Surfrider watching the people go by, malasadas at Leonards, "plate lunch" from Rainbow Drive In, sunset at the bar in Duke's, or at the Banyon Bar at the Moana Surfrider, riding The Bus anywhere and talking to locals, strolling through the Int'l Market Place and the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center. And of course - my all time favorite thing to do - plant myself on Waikiki Beach with a trashy romance novel and just chill out.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 11:34 AM

Helicopter tour on Kauai

See Volcanoe National Park if on the big island

Princeville area on Kauai
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 01:15 PM

Go down to "Cindy's" in Chinatown, buy a lei, and wear it all day, then hang it on your bedpost when you go to bed.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 06:11 PM

You should go up to Haleakala in Maui and see the sunrise. Then go on the Pony Express horseride down into the dormant volcano. If you buy the Maui Revealed book, you'll find the info on how to book with them. You'll have to pre book so they know how many horses to bring for the trip. It is about 2 hrs down into the volcano and you stay and eat a picnic lunch then ride back up. It is a beautiful sandy lunar type surface in the dormant volcano. It was an experience that I'll never forget!
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 01:54 PM

I'm so craving a trip to Hawaii right now!
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 07:09 AM

A helicopter ride on Kaui is a MUST! The less you weigh, the better your chances of being in the front. And it's cool!!
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 10:54 AM

For guided or unguided walking tours of Chinatown, go to

http://www.chinatownhi.com/walkingtours.asp
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 02:06 PM

....and after you're done with Chinatown, come on over to Aloha Tower Marketplace to take a tour of the place, shop, feed the fish, take in the views.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -