summer trip to oregon

Search

summer trip to oregon

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
summer trip to oregon

We are in the early stages of planning a trip to Oregon this summer. The plan would be to fly into Portland and drive over to part of the wine country area of Yamhill Valley, staying at the Black Walnut Inn in Dundee for 2 days then continuing on towards the coast to Depoe Bay for 2 days at the Channel House Inn and then to Newport for a day staying a the Elizabeth Street Inn. We have already seen Portland/Seattle area on a previous trip but never ventured further down into Oregon. Would love to hear from others who have been to these areas and also would love to know a route back up to Portland that would not involve driving back up the coast. Should we venture down to Florence and then cross over to Eugene and drive up I-5? or just cross over from Newport to Salem and head back to Portland? I guess my question is: Are Florence and Eugene worth the drive or will we be better off just to go through Corvallis and Salem back to Portland? We love to see little towns and great scenery along the way. Also would love restaurant suggestions for Depoe Bay and Newport as well as McMinnville/Dundee area. THANKS!!!!
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 09:08 AM

I just posted this on the other thread that you posted on.

Author: mms
Date: 03/22/2007, 01:07 pm
If you don't want to drive back up the coast, the drive up 99W from Corvallis up to Sherwood is full of small towns. From Sherwood, cut back over to I-5 as from there north on 99W is a nightmare. Since you will have already been in the Dundee area, it might not be what you want, but it is either that or I-5, which is really boring. I would do the 99W drive myself. I am in McMinnville usually a couple times a week...what are you looking for in restaurants and what do you like to do?

Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 11:49 AM

I'll cover both bases too....

Not to upset the applecart, Allison, but are there particular reasons you've allocated the nights as you have? I think you'll regret having only one night in Newport; much more to see and do there than Depoe Bay. And the scenery between Newport and Florence is some of the best on the coast, so you won't want to miss that either. Maybe even consider a night in Yachats at the Overleaf Lodge: http://www.overleaflodge.com/. Give up a night at Black Walnut if you have to.

Then, for that drive back to Portland, how about heading south to Reedsport and taking hwy 38; it's easily my favorite route between I-5 and the coast. It's 3 - 3.5 hours from Reedsport back to Portland.

Can't help much with restaurant suggestions at the coast, unless you're up for the original Mo's in Newport. But, in wine country, Dundee Bistro, Tina's, Joel Palmer House (Dayton), and Painted Lady (Newberg) are all good. What's good in McMinnville, mms?

Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 12:01 PM

I'd skip Depoe Bay altogether and stay either further up or further down the coast for a night or two. And I prefer Yachats to Newport, personally. But I guess it depends on what you're looking for and what you enjoy doing.
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the info. I cancelled the lodging at Depoe Bay and booked in Newport and Yachats instead. Will take the route down towards Reedsport and cross over on Hwy 38. Love the restaurant suggestions for the Newberg/McMinnville area.

One more question - Suggestions for wineries in the Newberg/McMinnville area where we could have picnic and spectacular view? Also maybe one that allows you to tour the vineyards too?

Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 02:59 PM

Ok...moving my other post here so you have it all together

Author: mms
Date: 03/22/2007, 04:30 pm
McMinnville actually has quite a bit for restaurants. Depends on what one is looking for. Wildwood Cafe is a must for breakfast though. Alf's for ice cream (made on site) and to see the pet monkey, Elvis. La Rambla for tapas. Red Foxx Bakery for breads/sandwiches. The Cornerstone for coffee/smoothies/sandwiches. Bistro Maison for fine French dining. Nick's for fine Italian dining. Luigis Daughter for casual Italian. Orchards Bistro, which shares space with Honest Chocolates (very good). McMenamins for casual burger/fish&chips/beer. Most of these are all located on 3rd avenue...Wildwood is on Baker (99W) but at 3rd. Alf's is further south on 99W just past the Linfield campus. There are also several tasting rooms in this area, so you can try several wineries at once.

Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 03:05 PM

Glad to see your switched your itinerary a little. Depoe Bay is tiny and has lots of those touristy shops. I know people love Yachats, but there isn't really a place to walk on the beach. One reason I love the coast is to walk, walk, walk and Newport is definately better for that.

Hwy 101 goes inland from Florence south to Bandon so don't expect to see very much ocean from the road - there are ways to get to it, just not a view from the road.

I second Hwy 99W from Eugene to Salem. In Salem cross over to Hwy 99E up to Aurora. You'll parallel I-5 but it seems like a different world. Antiques in Aurora if you feel like that.

It sounds like you have been here before but you should be fore-warned the coast in the summer can be cold and very windy. It is often hazy too. It can be hot in the valley and just plain windy and cold on the beach so bring layers.

Enjoy - you have a lovely trip planned.

Sara

Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 03:05 PM

Wineries...actually the best person for that is definitely beachbum. He is very familiar with all the good ones, won't lead you to all the touristy ones with blue signs on the road to get you there.

That said, a few of my favorites are Amity (down toward Salem), Erath, Argyle, and Chehalem. Chehalem is right across the street from Rex Hill, which RH is one of the big touristy ones. But...they do have some very good pinots, and their grounds are nice and perfect for a picnic. Also head out toward Carlton as there are lots of wineries out there and it is really pretty. Again, listen to Beachbum for the good recommendations.
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 03:08 PM

Sara and I were posting at the same time. Her suggestion of Aurora is great, IMO.
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 03:13 PM

Hi allison! We have several favorite places for wine tasting in this region. We really enjoy the Pinot Noir we have found here. Some of our favorites include:

Archery Summit

Domaine Drouhin

Domaine Serene

Torii Mor (nice little place to picnic adjacent to the wine tasting area)

Sokol Blosser

If you go to Carlton, there is the Winemaker's Studio where you may sample several different wines in one place, a nice concept for the area. We also enjoyed the Scott Paul (Audrey) Pinot Noir in Carlton.

We just returned from a couple of days in Napa Valley wine tasting, it's great fun. Enjoy your travels! ***kim***
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 03:29 PM

We all have our own opinions, but I'm sorry to hear you have cancelled out on Depoe Bay. The Channel House is great and Tidal Raves is a great little restaurant there. You do need to stop there and take in the waves crashing on the rocks below. If the weather is right (or wrong), the waves can crash over the highway. Typically it won't happen in the summertime, but if its sstirring up real good, it can, I've seen it. If it's lunch time, do stop at Tidal Raves, you won't be disappointed.
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 03:33 PM

We spent a little bit of time in Depoe Bay last summer when we drove from Seaside to Newport to the aquarium on a day trip. Depoe Bay is gorgeous! Even if you don't stay there, stop and walk around, take in the beautiful scenery and enjoy this area. ***kim***
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 03:38 PM

allison, you are definitely in good hands with mms, beachbum and NWwanderer , Sara and golpher!
Having moved to Portland a year and a half ago, I rely on them often for giving the best advice and directions, based on their being locals.
As a local myself, I just want to say I think it is great that you are staying at the Black Walnut Inn, beautiful place!
I love McMinnville, listen to mms, she is there almost every day lol.
We had a great day at Chahalem and Argyle and lunch at Dundee Bistro ..
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 03:45 PM

I don't know if I should take that as a compliment or not, mms. :-" ;-)

The first three wineries listed by kimamom are all very good; just be sure to get a limit increase on your credit card. Domaine Drouhin isn't quite as bad as the other two, but bottle prices are unjustifiably outrageous. Situated on the hillside outside of Dundee, any one of the three would be a nice spot for a picnic, though. Torii Mor, on the other hand is in the hills, and surrounded by trees, without much of a view. And Sokol Blosser.... the Oregon equivalent of Beringer or early Ernest & Julio Gallo.

I also do like Amity, Argyle and Chehalem, but my favorites - at least of those with regular tasting hours - are on the other side of the hill from Dundee, between Newberg and Carlton. Places like Bergstrom, Adelsheim, Penner Ash, Willakenzie.... Then, in Carlton, the already mentioned Scott Paul, Cuneo (when you're tired of pinot noir), and Carlton Winemaker's Studio, which is really a co-op of sorts for very small producers. If you go there, look for Andrew Rich wines.

If you're serious enough to want to schedule private tastings, I've got a whole 'nuther list.

Oh, and I don't think anyone will stop you from walking through their vineyards, but you're not likely to get a guided tour.
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 03:53 PM

Beachbum, that was definitely a compliment! I knew you could help without giving the standard blue tourist sign suggestions.
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 04:16 PM

There is beach to walk on at Yachats-
there is a paved trail that goes in front of the Fireside Motel and the Overleaf and then leads down to a beach that you can walk for quite a ways on.

Sorry you cancelled the Channel House- I have not stayed there but have heard great things about it. And the Tidal Waves restaurant is great too - but so many places , so little time.

I think the Florence area is great-
the old town has cute shops and restaurants and there are several nice walks in the area.
I love doing the dune buggy rides outside of Florence- that is really a blast!! Devils Elbow State Park north of Florence is my favorite beach- you can walk up to Heceta Head lighthouse and from take a trail down to another beach accessable only by walking in.
Plenty to do all day to keep busy.
whatever you do- you'll have fun!!