One night in Oregon, but where?

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 10:40 AM
Nicole

One night in Oregon, but where?

Hi all,

We will be driving from San Francisco to Seattle and we will be passing through Oregon. Unfortunately, we will have one night only in Oregon, but what town/city do you recommend we should stay a night in? Also, which route will be the best to take in the beauty of Oregon in one day??

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 11:09 AM
xxx

Are you looking for a midway point or a fun place with some scenery?

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 11:12 AM
Nicole

I would like both, but I'll lean to the midway point. I read that driving up the Oregon coast is a must. Will this route be too time consuming??

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 02:15 PM
Sara

The coast is beautiful but it does take a long time. Though if you just intend to drive you could do it in 2 days (staying midpoint). One way to shorten it is to go up I5 to Eugene then cross to the coast at Florence and go from there to Hwy 26 (just north of Cannon Beach) back to Portland. That way you get some speed on I5, see the best part of the coast (the southern 101 is mostly inland).

Another option that is faster than 101 is Hwy 99. I probably recommend Hwy 99West. Goes through some beautiful hills and valley. Mostly 55mph with towns along the way.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 02:18 PM
Sara

The coast is beautiful but it does take a long time. Though if you just intend to drive you could do it in 2 days (staying midpoint). One way to shorten it is to go up I5 to Eugene then cross to the coast at Florence and go from there to Hwy 26 (just north of Cannon Beach) back to Portland. That way you get some speed on I5, see the best part of the coast (the southern 101 is mostly inland).

Another option that is faster than 101 is Hwy 99. I probably recommend Hwy 99West. Goes through some beautiful hills and valley. Mostly 55mph with towns along the way - this is wine country too.

Probably Eugene to Salem is midpoint, depending on where you start in the morning. I think for one night when you are driving through it won't make much difference.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 02:35 PM
John

Nicole, the drive to Seattle is around 13 hours via I-5, around 17 or 18 via 101 (all the way, cutting over to I-5 only at Olympia - see your map). If you're able to tolerate 9 hour drives, then 2 days via 101 is the way to go. 8 or 9 hours north of SF puts you around Coos Bay; however you can stop short of Coos Bay (Bandon would be my choice) and make it to Seattle by the afternoon of the following day. If you haven't experienced the Oregon coast, or, more importantly, haven't experienced the Redwoods on the northern CA coast, this is the way to go. The scenery is not spectacular all the way, but it's spectacular enough in enough places to make it worth the extra time.

I-5, on the other hand, will be much faster, much hotter (in the summer) and will have scenic bits mixed with sensory deprivation. In this case, I would stop in Ashland and see if you can get tickets to a play at the Shakespeare festival (runs all summer and into the fall - try for the outdoor theater if possible). Whether you do or don't, Ashland is worth exploring as is Jacksonville, a cute historic town not far from Ashland.

The next day will be around 8 hours, quick and boring, but easily lightened by a long late lunch stop in Portland - try NW 23rd or Hawthorne Ave. for fun restaurants, shopping, etc. - makes a great break during a long drive.

In general, the towns along the Oregon coast leave much to be desired, while the landscape never fails to please. Curiously, the opposite (with big exceptions) is the case in the Willamette Valley - many of the valley towns are pretty pleasant, while the landscape tends to the flat and agricultural. But that's what the pioneers were looking for, you know, and they found it.

Enjoy your drive, either route.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 10:45 PM
dee

flat and full of farms? I5? you must be joking. i drive all the time between ashland and portland an it seems all i do is drive up and down hills and between mountain passes. and with only 2 lanes and those great5 triple trailer trucks in Oregojn it can make for some tense times when it's raining and nighttime and you suddenly crest a large hill to discover a 20 mile an hour double trailer passing a triple trailer and no other lane to move into. i only wish it was flat

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 08:15 AM
ll

go for bandon: a stunning beach and a good little town with decent places to eat and drink of an evening, and a great bakery by day. drive as much by coast/redwoods as possible (although it may be worth avoiding parts just north of s.f. as its slow going)

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 05:15 PM
Mia

HI there,

If you do end up on I-5 as far north as Roseburg, make sure you stop to stretch your legs at the Rice Hill exit (just north of Roseburg, I think). It's a total truck stop, but there's an ice cream place on the west side of the freeway that has terrific ice cream. And the portions are enormous - the perfect pick-me-up before more hours on the road.