Notices

Scenic route...Portland OR to the coast

Old Jul 30th, 2003, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scenic route...Portland OR to the coast

Arriving Portland around 9pm and overnighting at the Sheraton at the airport. Plan to get the rental car early next morning and head for Newport, where we will be spending three nites. What's the most scenic route to get there? Should we go over to the coast and drive south? Or is there an "inland" route that's a nice drive?
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 03:18 PM

The most direct route is 99W to 18, which runs into 101 at the coast just north of Lincoln City. It's not particularly scenic, but runs right through part of Oregon's wine country, so you can maybe do some tasting on your way.

Though maybe more scenic, taking either 6 (towards Tillamook) or 26 (towards Seaside) just adds too much time to the drive IMO.
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 04:36 PM

I personally wouldnt drive out of the way for scenery from Portland...there is plenty of scenery once you get to Newport. I really enjoy the drive from Newport south towards Florence on Hwy 101 it would make a nice day trip and the cliffs are amazing along the way.
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 04:48 PM

I've driven Portland to Newport many times. Yes, 99W to OR 18 to US 101 is the best way I know of. There is some pretty country though lately it's a little brown due to lack of rain. Once you get to 101 (at Lincoln City), you do get some nice scenic views of the ocean.

I don't know if cutting over to the coast via US 26 or OR 6 is a great idea. Look at a map: 101 goes inland north of Lincoln City to Tillamook.
As it is you're looking at about 2.5 hours from Portland to Newport. There are some state parks along the way along the coast - you might take your time and linger at a few.

Depending how late you leave, you could stop in McMinnville on the way out for lunch. There are few brew pubs on 3rd Street such as the McMenamins Hotel Oregon. See http://www.mcmenamins.com/McHO/map.html

Pick up an Oregon Coast map at AAA if you're a member - nice guide to the sites of the coast.

Andrew