Search

Summer trip to California

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2017, 03:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Summer trip to California

Good Morning to everybody,
I'm planning a 3 weeks trip all around California next August. Since is my first time, I need some tips.
The draft of my program is to land in SF, visit the city and then move to Yosemite and Yellowstone parks for the first week and a half. Later on, I want to reach the Monument valley and the Grand canyon maybe sleeping one night in LV as a pit stop. For the last week, my idea is to reach the LA and SD with maybe one day in Tijuana and then fly back from SD.
My problem is how many days to allocate per place. Could you please help me in drafting a plan?
Thanks a lot.
Old Apr 8th, 2017, 07:27 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Sorry, but 3 weeks is not enough time for San Francisco, Yellowstone (about a 2,000 mile detour), Yosemite, Monument Valley, the Grand Canyon, San Diego and Los Angeles

Even cutting out Yellowstone it would be quite rushed.

Back to the drawing board . . .
Old Apr 8th, 2017, 07:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Agree.
Old Apr 8th, 2017, 08:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yellowstone, Monument Valley are not in/near California. The Grand Canyon is closer but still not in California. You need to research a little more and refine your plans. The distances in the western US are vast.
Old Apr 8th, 2017, 11:42 AM

Agree you need to drop Yellowstone and Monument Valley, way too far.
Fly into San Francisco and stay at least 3 nights then pick up your rental car and drive to Yosemite for 2-3 nights. You need to book your hotel inside the park way in advance. They start taking reservations a year in advance. Then drive to Monterey (or Carmel) for 2 nights, then a night in Cambria or Pismo Beach or Morro Bay. Then 3 nights in LA, 3 nights in San Diego and fly to Las Vegas for a night, then fly home from there. Grand Canyon is a 4 hour drive one way from Las Vegas so you will want a night at the South Rim.
August is a popular travel months so you will want to book cancellable hotel or motel reservations in advance (no need to prepay). Lodging along Highway 1 is limited.
Old Apr 8th, 2017, 11:47 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
By 'next August' do you mean this coming August (2017) or next August (2018) -- makes a HUGE difference re whether you can drive down the coast or not. The highway through Big Sur will be closed at least til the end of this year and possible longer.

But in any case you do need to recalibrate things . . .
Old Apr 8th, 2017, 04:09 PM

AT least two nights in Yosemite, 3 is better. Look on their website NOW. Your deposit will be refunded if you want up to a week in advance. Highly desirable to stay in the Valley (Yosemite Lodge good value). If you check website several times a day, high chance you will get cancellations. August is better than July. If you can't get the Lodge, Yosemite View Lodge is a good alternative IF you get up early in the morning. Ahwahnee/Majestic is indeed majestic and well-located to minimize crowds if you can manage its five star cost.