1 Day In Deleware

Old Apr 6th, 2017, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1 Day In Deleware

Hello, Im doing a 7 day trip with my buddy at the end of this month across about 5 states and crossing Delaware off the 50 states list...However I will only have 1 day there then off next day off to Virginia Beach..I'm wondering for one night where should I stay in the state? I'm coming in that morning from Baltimore through Wilmington ( Which I know probably deserves a day by itself) but I think I may stop there for a few hours and then go south...Is there any must do and sees there and nice area to soak in the city for a bit? I'm a single 30 year old guy so I like to be in action spots & areas where there's other singles & people, active and good social setting. Anywhere where there's a good environment is fine... Im a craft beer snob and love good food and checking out fun bars,restaurants and places and walking around. Also like scenic places like National parks and historic sites. From there I will head south..Is Dover worth checking out or should I not waste any time there and just continue driving? I will stop at Dogfish Head one way or another...Im leaning at staying toward one of the beach towns...Would that be the best choice for one day? Ive been researching and seeing Dewey and Rehoboth seem the most popular....How are they in Late April and which would be more my scene? I figure I'd be south then and can spend a extra few hours in the state next day after waking up before going to Virginia beach...Thank you and appreciate any information!
Old Apr 7th, 2017, 02:56 AM

Neither Wilmington nor Dover would be my first choices for spending time in Delaware. The real attraction of the state is some very nice beach areas, but late-April won't be peak time for activity in those areas. Rehobeth would be your best bet, especially on a weekend, IMHO.

Do stop in at Dogfish Head. I know the owner, Sam. Nice guy.
Old Apr 7th, 2017, 04:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The "season" in both Rehoboth and Dewey does not get going until Memorial Day. There will be folks at the beach, mainly on weekends, prior to that, but don't expect a lot of action.

People often go over at that time of year because is IT quieter.
Old Apr 7th, 2017, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

The day I will be out there will be a Thursday...Im not looking for a huge party scene or the beaches & areas to be extremely packed and major traffic..I like busy, but not super busy & not a ghost town either.I figured late April is off season so it will probably be pretty slow..I think I may just stop in Wilmington for lunch then head straight to Milton to Dogfish Head for an hour then to Rehoboth..I just wanna walk around the beach in evening and morning and have an area I can walk and check out some bars and restaurants and hang out. Thanks!
Old Apr 7th, 2017, 10:28 AM

That sounds like a plan.

BTW, the Dogfish Head story is a great one about entrepreneurship. He started the company when he heard they were getting ready to tear down the old Schmidt's brewery in Philadelphia. He and a bunch of friends went into the building and hauled off some of the brewing equipment, which otherwise would have been destroyed.

The rest, as they say, is history. I note that Dogfish is carried along the whole of the US east coast, if not in more regions than that.
Old Apr 7th, 2017, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

Wow that's something how they got started and how big they have gotten. I'm coming in from Chicago and DogFish is everywhere here by me and in the midwest. One of my first beers got me into the craft beer scene was the lethal 18% ABV 120 Minute IPA Haha.

Is Dewey and Rehoboth bascially connected and right by each other in walking distance? I usually dont mind walking anywhere under a mile...I think being right on the ocean would be cool and these 2 places are pretty cheap and on the water.One says in Rehoboth and one in Dewey.Im not in my room much so I dont need nothing high end. Which do you think would be closer walk to bars & places and a better fit of these 2 ocean side hotels?

https://www.orbitz.com/Rehoboth-Beac...USD&exp_pg=HSR

https://www.orbitz.com/Rehoboth-Beac...USD&exp_pg=HSR
Old Apr 8th, 2017, 03:55 AM

The Henlopen is basically at the very north end of the Boardwalk close to Surf Avenue. That's about as far north of the "center" which would be Rehoboth Avenue as you can get.

What businesses and restaurants which front ON the Boardwalk might be open in April is questionable and that would be on both ends of the Boardwalk all the way to the bottom of it at Silver Lake and so-called "poodle beach."

You are NOT going to walk from the Hen all the way to Dewey I suspect but you could if you wanted to. There would be a stretch between the two (and yes they basically are adjacent to one another, geographically; use googlemaps to visualize them) which is non-Boardwalk and you'd be walking along the beach in front of some private homes OR you'd be walking along a street such as King Charles Avenue.

I think I might stay in the latter accommodation or something on Rehoboth Avenue itself rather than The Hen but that's an obvious personal preference.

Just go with reasonable expectations of what these places are and aren't in April.
Old Apr 8th, 2017, 05:32 AM

>>Is Dewey and Rehoboth bascially connected and right by each other in walking distance?
Old Apr 8th, 2017, 06:30 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
https://www.dogfish.com/inn Very cool Inn. Lewes has a lot of history but not a lot of night life. I spent my summers in Rehoboth, three aunts lived there and now only one but that boardwalk was the best. Dogfish has a good restaurant in Rehoboth also. I love the beach in April. My cousin is opening up her house there this weekend.

http://www.fordhamanddominion.com/tours This was an excellent stop also.
Old Apr 8th, 2017, 07:17 PM

They ARE adjacent, town border-wise. As I pointed out above, there is an area of both which is mainly residential on each edge.