From Boston to Yellowstone, the Grand Canyon and SF: looking for itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2012, 07:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're first time in US and now in Boston. We plan to spend 2 weeks going to Yellowstone, the Grand Canyon and San Francisco during the Summer vacation. Can anyone suggest the ideal itinerary and travel route? Which place shall we go first? Is it possible for us to rent a car when we reach the first place and then drive to the other two places? because we'd also like to stop at some scenic spots on our way. Any suggestions are welcome!!
Old Feb 28th, 2012, 10:34 PM

try www.viaMichelin.com; specify the English version and enter your starting point, sites in-between and your end point. You can then choose their recommendations, or the fast route, or the scenic one.
Old Feb 29th, 2012, 03:24 AM

Youhave to check with the various rental car companies about their "drop off" fees - but it can usually be done - renting in one place and dropping off in another - such as a city like SF. And this webpage usually lists all the main rental companies: www.carrentals.com,

You can drive from Yellowstone down to the GC and then west over to SF -(probably the most efficient route) - but in the West - the distances are longer so get some good maps (as suggested above) and plan out your route. If you have more specific questions, people will probably be able to give you better advice.
Old Feb 29th, 2012, 06:26 AM

To me that sounds like a lot of distance between these sites. Would you consider San Francisco, Yosemite (in place of Yellowstone), and the Grand Canyon? Drop off in Las Vegas perhaps.
If you consider 3 days in each place (perhaps) you already have 9 of 14 taken. Plus time on each end to "get organized" with car rental/drop off. Just one way of looking at it.
Old Feb 29th, 2012, 06:39 AM

The longest leg would be from Yellowstone to the GC - 850 miles or so - but doable in a day if you got up early (read early) -packed some picnic lunches, etc - and you would sure see a lot.

From the GC to say Las Vegas - to break it up - and also see Vegas - is about 5? hours, and then if you got up early again, you could go through Death Valley - and up hiway 395 - with a view of the Sierras - and enter Yosemite from the beautiful Tioga Pass and to Tuoluumne Meadows (trying to recall - 8 hours total? - but I make good time) - and then it's another hour plus to the main Valley Floor of Yo if you want to press on - or you might even stay by the rustic Meadows for the night.

Here's some info - and if you were able to visit Yellowstone and the Grand Canyon and also Yosemite - that would be about as good as it gets.

http://www.yosemitepark.com/accommod...dowslodge.aspx

http://www.nationalparkreservations....FQ40hwodr1YPUw

From Yo to SF is about 4 hours.
Old Feb 29th, 2012, 06:44 AM

Here's how I would do it: 2 days in Yellowstone, a long day driving to the Grand Canyon, a day there, a half day driving to Vegas and overnighting, a long day driving to Yosemite - and staying 2 days there - and then half a day to SF and finishing up your trip there. You would be road warriors - but traveling energizes me - and if you really needed to kick back - adding another day or two in Yo is just what the Doctor ordered.
Old Feb 29th, 2012, 06:47 AM

And btw: Since you have two weeks - you could add another day or two/whatever - in any location on the way - and take away from your "city" time in SF and the Bay Area (a drive to and touring around Napa Valley/Wine country is always fun when in SF).

It's all up to you.
Old Feb 29th, 2012, 08:39 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
My plan: Fly to Las Vegas and rent a car. Visit Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon (South Rim)) perhaps Zion or Bryce. Drive through Death Valley to get to the eastern entrance of Yosemite (Tioga Pass). Stay in or near Yosemite. When you have seen what you want of Yosemite, head for San Francisco. Return you car to Las Vegas and then fly on Allegiant Airline to Casper Wyoming.
http://www.allegiantair.com/aaRouteMapStatic.php
Rent a car in Casper to go see Yellowstone. Return the car to Casper and fly home from there.
Old Feb 29th, 2012, 05:01 PM

If you want to drive, I second the suggestion that you skip Yellowstone and substitute Yosemite and add in Bryce and Zion - makes for a much saner driving route.

People who don't live in the West tend to underestimate the tremendous distances that have to be travelled from one location to another.

It's not just the distance, it's also time consuming and exhausting - definitely something I wouldn't do when on vacation and trying to relax!

BTW, driving in the West is nothing like driving in Boston!
Old Feb 29th, 2012, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all the detailed suggestions and ideas. I'll discuss with my friend and then set a plan on it! Thank you all again!
Old Feb 29th, 2012, 07:44 PM

It is much more economical to pick up and drop off a rental car at the same location than to pick it up one place and drop it off another.

Therefore, I suggest you consider flying into and out of Los Angeles and plan an itinerary that includes Highway 1 to San Francisco and some of these national parks: Yosemite, Kings Canyon, Sequoia, Death Valley, (Las Vegas), Grand Canyon, Zion, and Bryce.

It would be better to visit Yellowstone on another trip in which you include Grand Teton NP, Glacier NP, and possibly Waterton Lakes NP in Alberta and the Canadian Rockies (Banff and Jasper).

HTTY