Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Flagstaff / Grand Canyon, then what before San Francisco?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2015, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

babyboomers on the 8-10 week road trip are back - Thanks for everyone's help so far.
My head is spinning with all the options, after reading every Fodor's guide for the West and Northwest.

After reading your posts, I realized I needed to revamp the schedule to hit Arizona etc in late June ( Instead of my other alternative, early August ). NPR lodging reservations are limiting our path on the front end.

INTERESTS. short day hiking ( this will be our first experience, so we aren't talking daily 10 mile treks) scenery, and whatever we see along the way ( NO camping )
From time to time maybe golf but we are duffers, with no private club affiliation.
Museums we can take or leave - contemporary art we do like.

This route will start from FLAGSTAFF After seeing Grand Canyon, Sedona, etc
about 6/29 ( I still have to figure out how much time to set aside before that in Utah with Bryce and Zion as we drive south from Grand Tetons / Craters of the Moon.

ULTIMATE DESTINATION - San Francisco, July 4th When we meet up with friends flying in.

NO interest in Vegas whatsoever, and previous trips to LA and San Diego area.
We also previously visited Phoenix and will include Sedona repeat visit while in Flagstaff.

So we are looking at 5-7 days max.

Possibilities we are interested in are
- Joshua Tree National Park / Mojave / Death Valley
- Yosemite / Kings Canyon / Sequoia
- and of course, Carmel drive north
Palm Springs has been suggested, but after research / time of year that's lower on the list.

Yes - we do like to stay 2 to 3 nights in places with side trips if we can ( as we are in Flagstaff) but I am not finding a good central point for any of this.

ANY help you can offer before I loose my mind would be appreciated !!
Old Mar 8th, 2015, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

PS. After San Francisco and Sonoma with our friends, we are proceeding North in California through Oregon and Washington , Glacier NPR, across Montana and North Dakota before taking some type of direct drive southeast to Florida.

- The Natl Park reservations are for Yellowstone and Grand Tetons, with Badlands before.
That window is for June 8-19th.

I' ve ended up with a N/S zigzag because there are so many things we want to see in New Mexico and Colorado as well.
Old Mar 8th, 2015, 08:16 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Since you want to skip Las Vegas, stay on I-40 to Exit 78 in California. Go north to Kelso Dunes and Kelso. The Mojave National Preserve visitor center is there. You will see plenty of Joshua trees without visiting Joshua Tree NP.
Continue north through Cima to get to I-15. Go north from the town of Baker to get to Death Valley.
See if you can find lodging in Death Valley. Badwater is the lowest point in the Northern Hemisphere (-282 feet).
From Death Valley you will go through Bishop to get to the Tioga Pass into Yosemite NP.
Spend as much time as you can before heading to Monterey and north along the coast to San Francisco.
Old Mar 9th, 2015, 12:02 AM

You say this will be late June and Death Valley starts getting into the 100 degrees in mid-April so June is going to be HOT! I doubt you will be able to do much more than drive though Death Valley.

I would see if you can get lodging in either Yosemite or Sequioa and make that the deciding factor. If you can get into Yosemite then I'd take Hwy 95 up to Tonopah and then Hwy 6 and 120 west to Yosemite. It will be cooler and more scenic drive.

Utahtea
Old Mar 9th, 2015, 03:37 AM

In Arizona, for some early Native American history, consider going to Canyon de Chelley (hire a guide for the best experience), check out Walnut Canyon, and Wupatki.

Go to Page, for Antelope Canyon, Horseshoe bend, Lake Powell, Glen Canyon Dam and a smooth water raft trip down the Colorado River.

If you can't get lodging at Grand Canyon now, keep calling as people make reservations a year in advance and then cancel as time gets closer to the trip and make a reservation you can cancel in Tusayan or Cameron.

When you leave Page, drive through southern Utah and see the Grand Staircase Escalante, Capitol Reef, Bryce, and Zion.
Old Mar 9th, 2015, 08:15 AM

There are some very nice short hikes in and near Las Vegas if you ever travel near that area during cooler weather but it will be way too hot for this trip.

On your way to San Francisco you could travel northward either along the eastern or western side of the Sierra Nevada. Eastern you could drive thru Death Valley (but I sure wouldn't do get out of the car at that time of year except perhaps to visit the Visitors Center) to Lone Pine and then go up 395 to Yosemite. Possible stops along or near 395 include Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest, Mammoth Lakes, Mono Lake, and Bodie ghost town. And this route would take you along Tioga Road through the high country of Yosemite. Or you could travel west of the Sierra Nevada and go to Sequoia Kings Canyon before going to Yosemite.
Old Mar 9th, 2015, 08:43 AM

I would stay overnight in Death Valley, then continue on over Tioga Pass and spend the rest of your time in Yosemite and/or SEKI.

It will be hot in Death Valley but late evening/early morning will be tolerable.
Old Mar 9th, 2015, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!

Emalloy, we definitely have Canyon de Chelly, and also Mesa Verde in Colorado.
There are SO many things on the list, and the suggestions from everyone here really helps!

In Zion and Bryce, will we need time for short 1-3 mile walks, or will it be too hot there as well?

If the answer is yes, I'm starting to consider talking with Keith about planning another spring / fall trip for that area and relax and take our time elsewhere. Winters aren't good time for trips for us - busy season in our business lives.
Old Mar 10th, 2015, 05:20 PM

Late June for Zion can be hot. Bryce is at 8,000 feet and up so it's not as hot but once you are out in the open hiking in the sun it can get hot. Once our sons were out of the house and we no longer had to vacation in the heat of the summer because of school we like to go in the spring and fall to Zion and Bryce and the other Utah parks too.

Utahtea
Old Mar 11th, 2015, 07:59 AM

Three ways to SF.

1. Drive to Morro Bay and then up CA1 along the coast.

2. Visit Sequoia and Yosemite on the way to SF.

3. Drive up the eastern side of the Sierra, visit Bodie Historic State Park (http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=509 ), Devil's Postpile National Monument (http://www.nps.gov/depo/planyourvisit/basicinfo.htm ), and then cross the Sierra either on CA120 (through Yosemite) or CA108.
Old Mar 21st, 2015, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Appreciate the help!
Old Mar 21st, 2015, 12:12 PM

I was in Death Valley in early April last year and it was already 100 degrees. Be prepared with LOTS and LOTS or water. Keep 2 or 3 gallons in the car and carry water with you at ALL times.

If you intend to do any walking / hiking start right after daylight and do it before the heat really strikes.