Summer on the Cape

Old May 14th, 2019, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Summer on the Cape

We have changed directions! We are 2 couples 50-60 yrs, going to Cape Cod in July! We have rented a home in Mashpee from a Saturday to a Saturday. The men are playing golf a couple of days, while us women piddle/shop/lunch etc. The other days we wanted to venture towards Provincetown one day, Hyannis, Falmouth and any other ideas. The four of us LOVE good food (local places - not franchises), wine, music & sightseeing - we're not really adventurers. I have googled some town calendars, but looking for ideas of places to eat - thought we would do Moonakis for breakfast one morning. Is the drive to Newport RI worth the time in the car? Don't want to miss anything on the Cape. Thanks.
Old May 15th, 2019, 03:00 PM

So much to see and do on the Cape - a day trip to Newport would be a very long day. Some ideas - Salt Pond Visitors center, village of Woods Hole, day trip to Martha's Vinyard (leaving from Falmouth is less hassle), village of Wellfleet, village of Chatham. Realize the beaches of the seashore, the south shore and Cape Cod Bay are all very different, so there are lots of beach to explore. Some restaurants that come to mind - the Bookstore in Wellfleet (seafood), Anejo (Mexican) in Falmouth, Cucina Sul Mare (Italian/seafood) in Falmouth. For a very casual seafood place, Seafood Sam's in Falmouth and Sandwich is fun.
Old May 15th, 2019, 03:07 PM

Anejo in Falmouth for sure. Also try C Salt. Estia is very good and they have a location in both Falmouth and in Mashpee.

PTown is a full day trip from Mashpee. Hyannis is a few hours at most roaming Main Street and JFK museum. MV is a full day trip. So depending on how full you want your week that might be enough. I do love a day trip to Newport to see the mansions though. So Iíd add it in personally. It also is a full day.

Hope you have great weather and a wonderful time!
Old May 16th, 2019, 05:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We experienced the BEST whale watching ever out of Provincetown. We went with Dolphin Fleet Whale Watch
https://whalewatch.com/
Old May 16th, 2019, 09:07 AM

If you've never done one, I second a whale watch. The best time is July-August so you'll be there at a great time.
Be sure to bring a jacket --- it's cold on the water. We went on a whale watch out of Boston in early July a few years ago. Boston temps were in the 90s and sweltering; on the water it was windy and temps were high 60s to low 70s.
Old May 16th, 2019, 09:20 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Skip Hyannis unless you want to try to see the Kennedy Compound in Hyannisport.. For charming New England towns, drive Route 6A all the way to Brewster, along the Bay side.
Provincetown is interesting but a long drive. Artsy. Visit Chatham , the beginning of the Atlantic Coast. Visit the Cape Cod National Seashore, Eastham to P-Town. JFK protected this area from development not long before he died.
Have lots of lobster and fried whole belly clams!
Old May 16th, 2019, 09:25 AM

Bleu in Mashpee Commons is a wonderful restaurant. Bleu Restaurant provides a little bit of France on Cape Cod savor true French bistro fare On the way to P-Town you could stop at the National Seashore Visiter Center
in Eastham. Interesting exhibits and nice views. https://www.nps.gov/caco/planyourvis...torcenters.htm Welllfleet is the next town and is the quintessential Cape Cod village
with art galleries, food and shops. Mac's is a great restaurant https://www.macsseafood.com/restaurants/macs-shack Next town is Truro and the Atlantic Spice Company.
​​​​​​https://www.atlanticspice.com/ Worth a stop if you like to cook or know someone who does. As schmerl said the Dolphin Fleet is great for whale watching. If you have AAA
you can get a small discount on the tickets. If you do this, leave early. It is about 60 miles and would take about an hour and a half minimum to go directly to P-town.

Have fun and please do a trip report!
Old May 16th, 2019, 06:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
in July a trip to Newport would probably put you into aggravating traffic both leaving the cape and coming back
Old May 25th, 2019, 04:49 PM

Travel off and on cape isnít bad if you go during the week. So if you do decide to day trip to Newport just donít go on Friday.

Also look into Whale Watches out of Barnstable Harbor - thatís a lot closer to Mashpee. Even Plymouth based cruises might be a better drive.
Old May 25th, 2019, 05:03 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
We always stay in Dennis but find a good fish market. We ate out all week till one night we went and bought seafood to make at our rental. It was so good. We still say that was our fav meal. Turo vineyards have a great food truck and picnic area. We did Nantucket one year on the fast ferry. A great day out of HP. Book tickets in advance though.
Old May 27th, 2019, 07:56 AM

Captain Parkers is a must for eating.......there will be a line
Old May 27th, 2019, 11:26 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Be prepared for long waits and heavy traffic on the bridges over the Cape Cod canal on summer weekends.
Old May 27th, 2019, 02:23 PM

If I were you, I would spend the whole time on the Cape. I love Newport, but you are taking time away from the Cape. Because you are staying in Mashpee, you should definitely visit towns such as Chatham, Eastham, Wellfleet, Truro and Provincetown. The National Seashore beaches are beautiful! I much prefer the outer cape and lower cape, which some people consider the "real" Cape Cod. So it will be a longer drive for you to get there from Mashpee, which is why I think you should spend the week on the Cape.

One of our favorite restaurants is the Bookstore Restaurant at Mayo Beach in Wellfleet. We also like The Pearl and Van Rensalear in Wellfleet. Also like Skippers Restaurant and Chowder House in Yarmouth. The bayside beaches in Brewster are beautiful, with warm, calm water, and less chance of shark sightings. We also like Skaket Beach in Orleans, and Herring Cove Beach in Provincetown. At the National Seashore Visitors Center, you can go on a nice easy hike. There are also lots of bike trails on the Cape, so you can rent bikes if interested.

Closer to Mashpee, you can visit the glass museum and the Heritage Gardens and Museums in Sandwich.

Also in Wellfleet, you should visit the Mass Audobon Sanctuary with about 5 miles of trails through salt marshes, woodlands, and beaches. We were there for the first time last summer and thought it was beautiful! Trails are flat, so easy walking.
Old May 29th, 2019, 12:08 PM

I would hesitate to spend a lot of days going to the lower Cape area (wellfleet, eastham, p-town). One full day...I don't even know that I'd do a second. This has nothing to do with the area itself (which is lovely) and everything to do with traffic and the route to get there from Mashpee. I live in the town adjacent to Mashpee and work off of Exit 12 which is before you get to Eastham. During the summer I can't do the drive in less than 75 minutes - and that's on a good day. P-Town is another solid hour down the road. The route itself is nothing pleasant either - no scenery at all lol.

I 100% think you should do a trip to P-Town and stop off at some of these other towns on that day. But make that a full day trip, don't stretch it over multiple days. For where you are staying it makes no sense at all to go back and forth that distance.

Also - if you decide to go to Newport you're going over the Bourne Bridge - it's not as bad as the Sagamore Bridge from a traffic perspective. Avoid Friday. Thursday evening - maybe a 5 - 10 minute delay on a bad day. Otherwise if you want to go there go - don't let fear of traffic stop you.
Old Jul 10th, 2019, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Is Nantucket Worth a day trip?

what is there to do and eat??
Old Jul 10th, 2019, 09:58 AM
J62

https://www.fodors.com/world/north-a...etts/nantucket
Old Jul 11th, 2019, 11:15 AM

As much as I love Provincetown I think the drive would be a long hot hour and a half with a lot of traffic. I also wouldn't try going to Newport. Martha's Vineyard is definitely worth a daytrip, or stay into the evening and catch a late ferry back from Oak Bluffs. I'm not a big fan of Hyannis. Nantucket is very nice but the trip is over two hours from Hyannis compared to 35 minutes from Falmouth to MV
Old Aug 7th, 2019, 09:16 AM

following along...we will be spending 5 days between the Cape (Falmouth) and Martha's Vineyard and this post is very helpful. Thx
Old Aug 9th, 2019, 05:02 AM

I would not hesitate to go to Wellfleet and Provincetown if it's a weekday. Try a Tuesday. The traffic will be heavy but not so bad. In PTown, Canteen has a great lobster roll. But Mojo's (which does not look so promising from the outside), has great clam strips.

I would not go to Newport because of the summer traffic onto the Cape.
Old Aug 9th, 2019, 12:53 PM

Ha - exact opposite advice from me. I drive to Orleans daily from area OP is staying in...its 70 minutes of stop and go on a good day. Add on another hour to PTown and youíve spent half your day on the road if itís a day trip.

Newport from Falmouth is easy drive, hour and 15 mins and all highway. Tues and Wed there is typically no bridge traffic.