Search

Cape Cod

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 03:15 AM
Jenny

Cape Cod

We are an English family visiting Cape Cod in the summer. We have been to America before but have never got further than Florida so we are looking forward to a new experience. We have booked a cottage in North Dennis. Anyone give us any holiday tips? What should we see in the area etc. Any thing we should avoid? We would like to do some whale watching - is this possible in the summer? We have got all the travel books but we are always interested in personal opinions from people who know the area. Many thanks for any help.

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 04:29 AM
gail

The Dennis area is a good place to be based, although I am not sure what North Dennis is - most towns on the cape are called East or West, based on whether they face north or south - I thinbk we do this just to confuse people. Anyway, you are about in the middle of the Cape - head towards the far end to go to Cape Cod National Seashore. Meander along Route 6A to craft and antique shops. Provincetown is worth a day trip. Have a good trip - don't know what part of the summer you will be here, but the ocean is quite cold until August or September and then is only just cold! Eat lobster and fresh fish.

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 05:33 AM
Gene

As Gail pointed out Dennis is in the center of the Cape. Using 6A (Old King's Highway) you can visit the towns of Brewster and Orleans in one direction and Yarmouth, Barnstable and Sandwich in the other direction.

Provincetown has the best whale whatch trips and is the closest town to where the whales are in Stellwagen Bank. Yes, you can take the trips in the Summer.

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 05:57 AM
T.M.

You will enjoy Cape Cod. There's always something to do.

A trip to Sandwich is a must. You can visit the museum that details how they made the famous Sandwich glass. The museum is situated by a lovely mill with ducks and swans.

If you enjoy riding bikes, you can ride the canal trail (along where the Sagamore Bridge is) that's close to Sandwich. Very nice.

One restaurant I love is the Brewster Inn and Chowder House. Excellent food in a low key but lovely setting.

You'll also want to take the ferry over to Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket. Or both.

I don't know if they do it during the summer, but I took a seal cruise through the Cape Cod Museum during the spring a few years ago. You meet your group in Chatham and they take you out to Monomoy Island where you can see the seals and the shore birds.

Enjoy your trip!

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 07:26 AM
Julie

jenny

I am also English and had the most wonderful holiday last September (yes a week after the twin towers)starting off in Boston, then 4 days on Cape Cod, we stayed in Hyannis right on the harbour. We went Whale watching from Barnstable which is on the Cape, had a marvellous time. Also went over to Martha's Vineyard, if you go take a sweater with you, it is almost 2 hours on the boat and it gets really chilly, take the bus when you get off the boat to the main town (can't remember the name now). When we left the Cape we drove to Rhode Island and stayed the night in Newport - well worth seeing, wonderful harbour and nice little shops, drive to the Mansions and stand with your mouth open at the opulence of it all. We too had only been to Florida before, and although we love it there, this holiday was like being in a different country altogether. We had lobster and shrimp until we were fit to burst. Loved every minute of it. Also about 1 hour from the Cape going back towards Boston there is a great designer outlet called Wrentham Village, great bargins on all sorts.

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 01:07 PM
carole

The ferry trip from Woods Hole to Martha's Vineyard is 45 min. It's a great day trip.

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 02:44 AM
Layla

Hi

Another Brit here.

I have visited Cape Cod a couple of times. When planning my trips I found great resources on the internet here are a few:

www.capecodonline.com
www.capecodtravel.com
www.capecodmenu.com (View restaurant menus for the area you are staying in)
www.capecodder.com
www.capecod.com
www.capecodwhalewatching.com (Also has info about seal watching)

We visited a great beach off rt6a (I think) down a street close to the playhouse theatre - I will try and find out what it was called and get you better directions.

Tip: If you love seafood (As I do) be sure to try a lobster roll (Fab)

Tip: bear in mind that general prices (Food, Fuel etc) on the cape will be a bit more expensive that in Florida.

Have a great time.

Hope this helps

Layla

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 02:48 AM
ttt

Topped a cape cod restaurant thread 4 u

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 03:56 AM
AGM/Cape Cod

Jenny-
If you are staying in North Dennis you can rent bikes and ride along the Rail Trail from Dennis up to the National Seashore or towards Chatham (it will be closer than the Canal bikepath and there are rental places right on the Rail Trail). The National Seashore is a gorgeous duney strip of miles of beach so you shouldn't miss that. Get the Cape Cod Times on Friday of the week you are here or check online before you come. I know Chatham has a free concert on the Town Green on I think Friday nights and other town might. Chatham is a very pretty town further out the Cape from Dennis. For the best fried clams try Mister Frosty on Route 6 in Dennis. You can email me if you have specific questions.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 04:02 PM
mark

Hi Jenny,

Things to do: in addition to all the other good advice, I would go to the National Seashore in Eastham or Welfleet. It has dramatic views and great waves to play in. Also good, near you in North DEnnis, is Chapin Beach. This is on the bay so there is no surf but the sand bars during low tide are fantastic notably at Chapin.

Things to avoid: Routt 28 in South Dennis. This is a traffic nightmare in the Summer.