Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

2 days/ 1 night in cape cod mid-October... Where to go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2013, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm spending the weekend of October 12-13 in Boston and was planning on going to cape cod Monday -Tuesday before I have to head home. I know it's not enough time, but I'm taking what I can get. I'm not familiar at all with the area, any suggestions on where is best to go at that time of year if driving from Boston? Looking to stay at a B&B, just wander around and relax, grab a great seafood dinner. Any help is appreciated.
Old Sep 14th, 2013, 04:19 PM

Check The Captains House Inn in Chatham. The town of Chatham itself is one of the quaintest towns in Cape Cod with beautiful beaches and wonderful restaurants.
Old Sep 14th, 2013, 08:00 PM
cw

Wellfleet has a nice town center and has some b and b's. it's convenient to explore the Cape Cod National Seashore.
There is also the Fort Hill B and B in nearby Eastham.
Old Sep 15th, 2013, 02:53 AM

Route 6A from Sandwich to Brewster is charming, though it does not run along the water itself. The highway bypasses Sandwich, so you need to detour slightly into town, but from tree, it wanders pleasantly toward the Outer Cape.

I agree with staying in Chatham (in the elbow) and exploring northward through Eastham, Truro, Wellfleet, and Provincetown on your second day.

You can the return to Boston on US 6 (very different from 6A) and MA Route 3 the way you came down.
Old Sep 15th, 2013, 05:31 AM

Provincetown is the best option, as far as I am concerned...wander around the shops, eat in good restaurants, bike in the National Seashore, walk out on the mud flats at low tide and discover sea creatures...lots of good things to do!
Old Sep 15th, 2013, 06:40 AM

If you go to Provincetown, would you consider taking the fast ferry from Boston. It runs thru mid-October (actually 10/14 is last trip) and it it is nice weather it might be enjoyable. For your short stay there is plenty to see/do/eat within walking distance if you stay in main area of Provincetown - but not really any good public transit to rest of Cape.