Old Mar 26th, 2006, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Summer 2006-Chicago and traffic

Hi all,
Just wondered what the traffic situation
will be like this summmer. I'm thinking
about spending a long weekend in July
(22-23?)in the downtown area, coming in from Michigan. The postings from last summer are making me think twice. Are there alot of construction projects planned for this summer? What are the nicest hotels in terms of view from the room...say overlooking Lake Michigan? I'm looking for more of a "vacation
view" as opposed to a "skyscraper view."
Thanks much!
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 10:07 AM

One of the best hotels with lakefront views is the Hilton at 720 South Michigan Avenue. The Drake Hotel, on North Michigan, also has many rooms with views, but Lake Shore Drive is a prominent part of them.

Regarding traffic, look up the Chicago Tribune online and read about the complete reconstruction of the Dan Ryan - that's the major expressway (90/94) running south of downtown. Alternatives include Stony Island Blvd. and Lake Shore Drive, but all the major arteries running southbound will be much more crowded than usual.
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 11:31 AM

Auty, coming from Michigan take the Skyway in from Indiana, you'll miss the construction area.
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 01:09 PM

Not entirely. The skyway will exit into the middle of the work zone. In fact, it will probably be backed up into Indiana because of the construction. You should probably add at least an hour to your normal travel time to Chicago.
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Hi,
Thanks for the info...maybe I'll just
wait until 2007...there's no rush to get to Chicago...and I don't want to spend summer vacation in a traffic jam...is there any way around the congestion? Someone suggested the ferry, but I guess they found it to be pretty expensive. If I drove through on a Thursday afternoon around 2 pm
would it still be bad? Is any one time better than any other?
Thanks again all!!
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 04:49 PM

Just like in Michigan, there will be construction on the freeways around Chicago every summer. I don't think it's ever possible to completely avoid construction if you want to drive to Chicago from Michigan in the summer. Weekday afternoons will certainly be better than a Friday afternoon when all the other weekend traffic is coming in.

You could also consider taking the train in from Michigan City. I think it's the south shore line if you want to search for it online.
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 07:08 PM

..and I think all the discussion/warnings here are about traffic for your in/out journey. While you are in Chicago, doing downtown things...shouldn't be affected. If you can time your journey into/out of the city around major rush hour times ( even push it into the early-early or late-late), I would think you wouldn't have much problem. It's that melding into the rush hour/construtction/lane shutdown thing that is untenable.

We come in fairly visit to visit our daughter (well..forget her, we come in to see our g'kids!!
in South Holland, and have been dealing with that Tri-State work near the Indiana line. It's horrendous. But really not all that bad when it's off-hours.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 03:25 PM

I've been caught in traffic on the Ryan at midnight, when there was no construction. There will be no off time. Taking the South Shore is a great idea, though. There is a station at the South Bend airport, which means overnight parking will be available. Within the city, you won't need or want to use your car. Just take the train into the Chicago. Depending on where you are in Michigan, Amtrak could be an option too.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 03:29 PM

Also, the Ryan work is a two year project, so you'll actually need to wait until 2008 before it clears up. And they will also be doing work on the Bishop Ford and the Tri State work will be on going. In other words, every road from Indiana will be under construction, or filled with people trying to avoid the construction. If this isn't the perfect argument for high speed rail.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 07:22 AM
DMG

The train idea is a good one especially you you don't really need a car in the city.

As for hotels, I think the nicest view could be a front room at the Park Hyatt overlooking the Water Tower with the Museum of Contemporary Art and the lake in the background. Your can even see the view from the bathtub in some rooms.

The W lakeshore, The Fairmont, and the Swiss Grand also have great views of the lake.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 08:30 AM

My "secret" way into Chicago from Michigan is to take the Skyway (keep eyes out, it is easy to miss, I think it is exit 16 off 94 in Indiana). Then right after you go over the actual Skyway, exit at Stoney Island. (Check with other about construction here). Then take Stoney Island north and follow signs for Lake Shore Drive. You will connect with it right around the Museam of Science and Industry. Then take Lake Shore up into the city. I've found this route much easier and less stressful than the freeways. The neighborhoods aren't the greatest, but Stoney Island moves fast.

Or a lot of people park in Michigan City and take the South Shore train into the city.

There is going to be construction in Chicago ALWAYS. You might as well go this summer and enjoy yourself.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 07:21 PM

I think a lot of people will be discoverng that secret. Stoney Island is one of the suggestions for avoiding the Dan Ryan. I used it for years before I gave up the car and just started taking the train to visit the family.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 07:36 PM

Good suggestions. But want to point out that it's Stony Island with no "e".
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 06:41 AM

I'm getting my stony's and coney's mixed up!
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice!
I think I'll take my chances and drive
through on a Weds. or Thurs. in the early afternoon. Can't be too bad. I'll
make sure I have good maps for the trip.
Thank you so much everyone!!
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 09:46 AM

Please don't overlook the advice about taking the train in. Did you know that it will cost you $25 a day to park your car downtown? Pretty expensive when it's just going to sit there.
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 12:27 PM

This site will help you plan an alternate route. As others have already suggested, Skyway to Stony Island to Lakeshore Drive looks good.

http://www.avoiddanryan.com/
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 01:03 PM

We take the South Shore train all the time from the Dunes Park station in Chesterton, Indiana for weekends in Chicago and it has free parking. Then you avoid driving in the traffic and paying the expensive parking in Chicago. Many times you can get a great deal through Priceline on 4 star Michigan Ave hotels in Chicago. Check out www.biddingfortravel.com to learn more about it and what the hotels are going for.