South Bend to Chicago

Search

South Bend to Chicago

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2004, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
South Bend to Chicago

I have some friends coming up to Chicago from South Bend In this friday afternoon/night.

What would the best route for them to take to avoid construction/congestion.

It appears the Skyway is under construction. Is that a mess?

What type of volume should they expect friday afternoon?
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 06:39 AM

3 weeks ago went from Wisconsin to South Bend on a Friday afternoon and it was awful! We took 94 to the skyway-took two hours to get through Chicago to the skyway. Once we got to the skyway we were fine because construction was on the north/east route of the skyway. In that direction the traffic was backed up past the toll booths (the ones before the skyway). People had to wait to put their money in until the car cleared ahead of them. We arrived at the Skyway about 4pm. AAA had told us that traffic and construction around Chicago was bad all over but the Skyway was the best bet-I'm not sure about that-Sunday night on the way back we took 294 and that was better. Good luck!
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

What did the skyway look like inbound?
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 10:08 AM

They might want to consider the South Shore train, if they don't need their car while in Chicago. It lets them out right by Illinois Center on Michigan Ave.

Traffic on Friday afternoons in the summer tends to be bad (I don't drive so I can't say how bad, but know that when my husband commuted to/from the burbs, his commute could almost double on Friday).

YMMV, Racy
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 11:17 AM

We took the Skyway in for the Taste of Chicago a couple of weeks ago, and it was bad. We came in around 11:00 on a Saturday morning, and lost about 45 minutes due to traffic. We detoured on Hwy 12, and got around some of it, which helped. We left Sunday evening, and going out the traffic looked worse, going inbound to Chicago.

I agree with the comments about taking the train. Its better than sitting in traffic for hours.
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

I see the skyway is going to be hellish. What is HWY 41 like going up along the lake.

Is it a highway or is it Stoplights every mile or so.
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 12:38 PM

Skyway is a toll road. No lights. Just miles of bumper-to-bumper traffic.

Racy
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 05:05 AM
Original Poster

The southshore line does look like it would be a good idea except for my friends want to stop up at IKEA sometime this weekend.

How long of a Drive is it on HWY 41 from the Skyway interchange to the museum of science and industry?
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 06:09 AM

Highway 41 goes through the southside of Chicago. I take it occasionally as I live in NW Indiana but I'm not sure I would send people who are unfamiliar with the area on it. It goes through a rough area and there are a bunch of turns that you have to watch out for. Up until you hit LSD which 41 merges into, there are many stop lights. I would definitely not use it if it is Friday night after dark.

The tollroad/Skyway is a problem for a couple of reasons-the toll road between 65 and the Skyway is under construction (I saw significant delays on it in late June on a Tuesday night going towards Chicago), the Skyway bridge is under construction (down to 1 lane going into the city on a Friday night) and the merge from the Skyway to the Dan Ryan is under construction. It has always been a merge to one lane but for some reason it's been worse this summer.

That being said I still think it is better than the Borman (94)which is also under construction.

If traffic on the toll road is really really bad and they are willing to take a chance on 41, they can get off on Cline Ave which is a seldom traveled highway type Road to Calumet Ave, turn right (north) up to Indpls Blvd, turn left and they will be on the start of 41. But make sure they have a good map with them, if they make a wrong turn on 41, they could end up somewhere really bad.

You can also use Cline if you are on 94.

Old Jul 14th, 2004, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info kristi it apears they will just have to chance it with traffic.

What are the bad areas in particular along 41 because it apears you can get onto 41 by 108th st.

Would that cut down on safety concerns?
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 01:33 PM

I'm not particularly wild about the section south of the Cultural Center which is about 70th St. up until just a bit before you hit Indianapolis Blvd. I've never had a problem or felt threatened, just wouldn't want to break down or be driving around lost esp. after dark. So you would be driving through that area if you got on at 108th. If they missed a turn they could end up at Rainbow beach or in a pretty rouhg neighborhood.

And there are a lot of turns and lights up until you get onto LSD, just past La Rabida going north (which is about 65th St.) 41 becomes very easy to follow.