Chicago traffic at rush hour

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2006, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for recent input to traffic situation-travelling from North of Chicago to Indianapolis this weekend, having to arrive in Chicago about 5:30pm(no other choice)on Friday and trying to avoid as much as possible turning a 5 hour trip into a 7 hour. Usually take the Skyway(still recommended by AAA) but feel like it is still in the middle of the Ryan construction. Would 294 be a better choice at this time? Appreciate recent info as I know the new construction has started just this past week! Also any different recommendations for coming from the south on Sunday night about 7pm? Greatly appreciate any local tips!! Thanks
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 08:03 AM

I would definitely postpone going thru at 5:30pm because it will be a 7 hour drive just to get thru Chicago.
I don't recommend 294 at that time of day because there is MAJOR construction at the south end along the IL/IN border on 80/94 and it WILL will take 1.5 hours to traverse it and that is on a good day. Remember the Cubs opener is on Friday afternoon and they will drunkenly spill out at 5:00 pm to add to the congestion.
My suggestion is to Take I-43 from Milwaukee to Beloit then to I-90 to Rockford. Then Take I-39 south all the way to I-74. Then take 74 East all the way to Indy. Longer, but I'll bet you a ice cream cone that you will get to Indy far quicker than going thru Chicago.
On your way back stay on I-65 to the Indy Toll Road (_I-90) to the Skyway but get off on Blue Island Ave. Follow the detour signs to the Lake Shore Drive then take I-55 toet back on 90/94 to go North.
I'm leaving for Louisville tomorrow but I'll be on the road at 6am thru Chicago.
Have fun.
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 08:08 AM

Are you saying that you'll be starting out from n. of chicago at 530 to head to Indy? I don't think there is any way you are going to avoid traffic. We are often on 294 south right to the Indiana line in order to get to our daughter's - that area has been under construction for - what? - more than a year and it is often horrendous.
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

We will be in Chicago at 5:30. We drove to St. Louis 2 weeks ago and it took us almost 45 min just to go 1/2 mile through the Rockford toll booth and on the way to Bloomington there were signs for lots of construction that was also to start because AAA did recommend taking 1-43/90 to Bloomington and then across to
Indianapolis adding on an hour of drive time but after we saw the construction zones that way think it will end up being bad both ways!! Now I'm thinking of taking a gourmet picnic lunch for the car ride-maybe 7 courses will do the trick!!
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 08:25 AM

Exactly - pack a basket and be prepared! The other option, of course, is to delay your start-out time - you'll probably arrive in Indy about the same time, but with far less wear and tear.

(I have to wonder why on earth - when you say you are driving from Chicago, someone would tell you to go via Milwaukee??? Odd.)
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 08:31 AM

I've been doing the Cleveland to Milwaukee route way too much lately and usually take the Skyway. But I do try to time my entry into Chicagoland to avoid the worst traffic. Still it's no fun.

Depending on where your coming from I'd be tempted to use joethekay's routing. Worst that could happen is that you won't save much time, but avoid a lot of aggrivation.
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

We are actually coming from the Milwaukee area-maybe they guessed as I stated originally north of Chicago!
We have thought about the later departure time but was optimistically hoping for a more direct "back road" approach in Chicago-thanks again
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 08:35 AM

You mean you will be leaving Chicago at 5:30, too bad, take in a movie or go to Navy Pier for a drink and dinner, then start your trip. I'm not kidding tomorrow is a red traffic alert day with the Cubs afternoon opener ending around 5 pm. You may want to try getting out via lake shore drive to stoney island ave to the skyway. Its well marked as a detour route to the Damn Ryan. Any way you look at it will take about an hour from downtown to the skyway.
Now isn't that fun?
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 02:38 PM

So tell us dear katk, how did your rush hour travel fare thru Chicago?