Search

An April 2005 visit

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9th, 2004, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An April 2005 visit

We will be arriving at Chicago O'Hare mid afternoon on Saturday 9th April, will pick up a hire car. We have until late Tuesday 12 April as free time. Don't want to offend anyone but, we don't want to go to Chicago city - we want to see outdoors, country towns and if possible lake Michigan.
I know it will be cold - but how cold?
Any suggestions for scenic driving and B&B's would be wonderful.
Thanks
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 04:35 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by country towns in that area but there a a number of small towns around the lake on either side of Chicago. Your choices to include the lake are to go east into Indiana or north into Wisconsin.

If you go east, you would also have the southwest Michigan area available to you. I'll let more local folks talk about the possible weather at that time.

In Indiana, you have the Indiana Dunes State Park along the lake and the Orville Redenbacher factory tour in Valparaiso. If you have any interest in history, there is a John Dillenger museum in Crown Point where he made his famous jail escape. I'm sure there must be other sites of interest but I am at a loss to think of any at the moment.

In Wisconsin, the Lake Geneva area is scenic and the drive up the lake past Green Bay is as well.

Since I stay with relatives in Valparaiso when I visit, I can't give you any help with B&B's.
Old Dec 11th, 2004, 01:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Orville Redenbacher is an American brand of popcorn. I like popcorn, but I'm not sure I'd be at all interested in a museum devoted to it.

Temperature: April 10th would probably average 30-45 degrees Farenheit, or just above zero Centigrade, during the day. Could be as high as 50, or as low as 20/

Suggestions: 1) close to Chicago, there's a small village just north of Chicago that's trying to "quaint-ize" itself, or at least it was 5 years ago. I don't remember the name of it, but it was about 10-12 miles west of Lake Michigan, could be Long Grove or Buffalo Grove. It's also near the Chicago Botanical Garden, altho April 10 wouldn't present much there.
Another idea would be Galena, Illinois, which is almost on the Mississippi River, near Dubuque, Iowa. You could look that up on the web.

Re Lake Michigan, you can, of course, see it from downtown Chicago. You should know that the Wisconsin side is more rocky, and the Michigan side is practically all sand from north to south.

Since you said "hire car", I assume you're British. The sand dunes can get as high as the cliffs at Dover.
Old Dec 11th, 2004, 01:48 PM

Just something to think about - rather than drive around chicago to Michigan why not take the Ferry that crosses Lake Michigan...it take's 2.5 hours to get across, which can be less time than driving - the traffic going around the lake from Chicago can be HORRID!

The ferry will take you to Muskegon (you can take your car on the ferry, just south of Muskegon are several very lovely towns on the lake. One that I like a lot that is only 20 mins south of muskegon is Grand Haven. A B&B I highly recommend is the Harbour House - very nice and the rooms are large compared to most.

If you venture further south you will hit some other really great towns - saugatuck, South Haven, St. Joe, Sawyer, etc...

You can make reservations on the Ferry at www.lakeexpress.com - the Ferry docks out of Milwaukee - about 1 hour north (give or take depending on traffic) from O'Hare... Good Luck!
Old Dec 13th, 2004, 12:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
South Haven is about 1:15 hr north of Chicago, Saugatuck another 15 miles.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 08:04 PM

To experience the beauty of Lake Michigan, you definitely want to go to West Michigan - that is where the beautiful beaches are (altho I don't expect you'll be swimming in April.)

There are many very beautiful towns in West Michigan, although April is a quiet time of year because it is right between our beautiful winter season and our beautiful summer season. You never know what kind of weather you'll have in April.

Saugatuck is about 2.5 hours from Chicago by car (barring any construction along the way). I am confident of this drivetime because I have driven this route many, many times. Saugatuck is a nice town, as is neighboring Douglas. They are not your typical small-town America, more upscale and artsy, but very pretty and nice to visit. Just north of Saugatuck is Holland, which is also very nice. Grand Haven (1/2 hour north of Holland) is also beautiful.

For mid-sized cities, Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo can be interesting places to visit, with more things to do. Although they are inland from Lake Michigan (45 minutes).

The state parks in Michigan are wonderful, although very limited facilities in April. By limited facilities, I mean, the drinking fountains won't be turned on and most (or possibly all) of the bathrooms will be closed and parking lots could be covered with sand.

South Haven has a nice city beach. The beach at Holland state park is gorgeous (big red lighthouse), as is Grand Haven state park. If you go to the state park in Saugatuck, expect to walk a bit to get to the beach, but it is a pretty walk thru the trees and over the dune. If you take the roads along the lakeshore, you'll also come across various township and county parks that are nice.

Hope it is unseasonable warm and sunny for your visit!
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 08:08 PM

One more thing - I wouldn't recommend either of the ferry's if they run in April. The lake can be terribly rough in the spring - and BRRRR!
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 07:14 AM

A couple of suggestions for a B&B in Michigan. In Saugatuck, I would recommend the Wickwood Inn (www.wickwoodinn.com) Saugatuck is a small harbor town, with lots of small shops to explore. There is a boardwalk and marinas with a lot of boat activity out of Chicago.

If you are interested in seeing Lake Michigan, both Holland and Grand Haven have State Parks. In Grand Haven, there is a B&B that looks out over the channel, its called The Harbor House (www.harborhousegh.com)

Holland has their Tulip Time Festival in May, but some of the area attractions should be open. Check out www.tuliptime.com for information in Holland.

For more information on southwest Michigan, go to swmichigan.org

If you are into wineries, check out miwinetrail.com

April weather in Michigan is anyone's prediction! It can snow, or it can be a beautiful day in the 60's (wishful thinking.. its been a cold March) I would advise checking the forecast before you come. Hopefully Mother Nature will be gracious and give you a pleasant stay.