Search

Suggestions on area for hotel in Charlotte

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2005, 09:26 PM
SGF
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggestions on area for hotel in Charlotte

We'll be in Charlotte for two days prior to heading over to Asheville and would like to know which area to look for a hotel in. We're a family of 4 so a suite hotel would be best (like the Embassy Suites) but not necessary. We mostly want a safe area, convenient to get to most attractions (not to far from highway), and within a short drive to Carowinds. We're looking in the mid to upper mid price range (3 or 4 stars).

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 04:07 AM

Embassy Suites in Phillips Place should fit the bill.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 07:03 AM

I stayed at the Homewood Suites/Charlotte-Airport/Coliseum and was very pleased. I like Homewood Suites as they are spacious and you get almost a full kitchen (full fridge, stove, dishwasher, microwave). It is located near the airport in a business park - so it is a safe area, though you'd need to drive to get to restaurants. It is near highway and five miles from downtown, I'm not sure where Carowinds is.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 02:08 PM

I live in South Charlotte-about 5 miles from Carowinds. In the Ballantyne area there are several hotels; most expensive the Ballantyne Resort, there is also a Holiday Inn branch. Easy access to the interstate and lots of restaraunts/shopping close by. Our city is very lovely in the spring-Enjoy!
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 03:45 PM

I would second Ballantyne resort- it is beautiful and very close to I-485(the Outer belt). The Omni hotel uptown is very nice also, and you can walk around uptown, to Discovery Place (hands on science museum) and other places, but it is about a 20+ minute drive to Carowinds, although a very straightforward and easy drive. I guess it really depends on what you want to see, since CLT is very spread out.

Cmcfong- I don't think there is an Embassy Suites in Phillips Place, only over by the Coliseum on North Tryon/Billy Graham. The area is OK, but very busy and not very picturesque.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 03:52 PM

kjenn, what is the name of the hotel at the end of Phillips Place opposite Dean and Deluca?
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 07:39 PM

I think it might be a Hampton Inn...I'm sure being in Phillips Place it's got to be nice!!!
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 08:01 PM
SGF
Original Poster

Thanks to all who replied to my post. We're checking into the suggestions made.
Under hotels I noticed an Embassy Suites Charlotte located at 4800 S Tryon St. It's about 8 miles from Carowinds and not to far from the airport since we'll be coming in late at night. Is this in a safe area? Is this Embassy a good choice? Has anyone stayed here or heard how new it is?

It's so hard deciding where to stay without knowing the area so your help is greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 05:33 AM

That Embassy Suites is nice...its at least 10 yrs old, my grandparents used to stay there when they visited. They have a great breakfast and cocktail hour. The area is OK, not a lot to see nearby and fairly safe but not the best area. You'll have to drive everywhere, but it is close to I 77 and the airport. Good luck!
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 07:51 AM
SGF
Original Poster

Is there another Embassy in a different area that would be better? We want a safe area and not just something ok or fairly safe. It doesn't have to be an Embassy Suites hotels but we did prefer a "suite" hotel in general as we find it's more room with the 4 of us. Could anyone recommend or give a suggestion. We don't care if there isn't a lot to see in the area as we basicially will only be going to Carowinds Theme Park before leaving for Asheville. If there aren't any suite hotels we'd consider a nice hotel (three or four stars) that had a restaurant for breakfast. We don't want to waste time running around looking for a place to eat before headed to the park.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 08:40 AM
jw

There used to be a hotel in the Southpark area, I think it was called Southpark suites, which I believe has been taken over as a Doubletree Hotel. Very good area, right beside the Southpark Mall, which has become much more upscale through the years. The area is pretty congested,traffic wise, but overall the surroundings are pleasant, and I would venture to say as safe as any area in Charlotte. It is also very near the Phillips Place area that has been mentioned before. It's about 10 minutes off of I-77, so it would be convenient to Carowinds. Several very nice restaurants in the area too. There is also a Hyatt across the street. It's not a suite hotel, but we've stayed there before and it was very nice.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 08:51 AM
jw

I just checked the Hilton website and the hotel I was suggesting is a Doubletree Guest Suites now. It would be about a 20 drive max from the airport, and about the same to Carowinds.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 08:53 AM
jw

That would be 20 minute drive .
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 09:48 AM

The Embassy Suites on Tryon is safe enough--it is freestanding in an area of hotels right next to the interstate. It is the Hampton Inn at Phillips Place--very high end. I don't think there is an Embassy Suites there. The suite hotel mentioned next to SouthPark is VERY nice and you can easily get to the interstate to go to Carowinds. But the closest to the airport and Carowinds is the one on Tryon. My financial advisor goes there for her visits here for clients. It is quite nice inside although we hate the outside!!
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 08:30 PM
SGF
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply to our questions. I'm going to look into pricing for some of the hotels mentioned.
Old Dec 7th, 2006, 07:35 AM

Topping for question. SGF did you ever stay at the Embassy Suites? Staying there in Late May and currious. Mixed reviews, mostly positive on Tripadvisor.
Old Dec 7th, 2006, 08:15 AM
GoTravel

I just stayed at The Doubletree Southpark and had an excellent experience.

It is a fabulous location and a fantastic hotel.

I know this post is a year and a half old but just wanted to post my experience.

Old Dec 7th, 2006, 02:12 PM

GT, is the Doubletree the Suites hotel. It has always been very nice.
The Embassy Suites are fine. Our financial advisor stays there when she comes to town to meet with her clients. I think it has recently changed hands for whatever that might mean. If you are flying in, The Renaissance Suites are also very nice.