Suggestions for Savannah?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2003, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're driving from Columbia, SC to Savannah. Any suggestions for things to see between the two cities? We love history, the old towns, architecture and the water.

Also, this is our third time to stay in Savannah. I think we've seen the basics and I'm looking for suggestions to make the trip really special. Any thoughts on unique tours, special homes to see, boat tours, restaurants, etc. that we may have overlooked before? We love Savannah and any suggestions are appreciated.
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 08:09 PM
dln

Why don't you visit nearby Tybee Island? You can get in a good swim and climb the lighthouse. Tybee has an old fashioned kind of feel to it. It's a great little island.

Old Jun 6th, 2003, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. We'll definitely make Tybee Island a stop.
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 08:24 PM

A fun place to eat in Savannah is Lady and Sons. It serves Southern food. The owner, Paula Dean has her own show on the Food Network. If you've read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil you might enjoy seeing some of the places mentioned in the book. Bonaventure Cemetary is an interesting place to visit.
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 02:51 PM

I'll second "The Lady and Sons" get there early so you do not have to wait outside in line as long. The staff is very friendly and the food is fabulous.
Have you taken a bus tour from the Tourist Information center. I thought it was well worth it. They highlight the history and tell you things like -why the cobblestones are in the road going down to Water Street. They gave us lots of interesting facts.
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 05:46 PM

We loved Lady and Sons also. Make reservations!!!
We also love Tybee. We liked talking to the locals and had lots of fun. The light house and the museum were very nice.My husband climbed to the top of the lighthouse and got some great pictures and video.