Fun in Savannah

Old Mar 7th, 2006, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fun in Savannah

Two sisters (early 30's) planning a fun long weekend. Is there a enough for us to do in Savannah? We like to sightsee, shop, dine and drink. Would love your feedback. Thanks.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 05:31 AM

Absolutely. I could fill a long weekend there with just the dining and drinking bits. Just be sure to stay somewhere in the historic district. While some may recommend the Westin, it's across the river from all the action and you have to take their water shuttle. Not the best choice for a first time visit.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 07:30 AM

Yes! Long weekends there are wonderful. Shopping along River St. is fun - a little touristy, but that's okay - walk around to find your favorite square - rent a car and take a little drive to Tybee Island and climb to the top of the lighthouse, walk along the beach - drive (the other way) out to the cemetary. Lots of great places to eat/drink - I found one great spot to shoot pool, but can't recall the name. I'd go back for a long weekend in a heartbeat!
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 12:45 PM

If you consume info fast and like to go go go... Savannah may not have enough for you.

If you have time do a day in St. Simons Island or Jekyll Island, GA. Just brilliant.

Savannah must sees/experience:
1. Lady & Sons (get dinner, don't do the buffet if you have the budget)
2. Tour on a bus, it's worth it if you like to site see
3. Stay in a bed and breakfast, any upscales or good, President's Quarters is a bit of a secret, sooo nice, and usually a bit cheaper than the "usual suspects"
4. Fried Chicken in a geodome, it's real it's good and it's a local thing, ask around... not in Savannah historic distric

--
St. Simons
1. Shopping! ! ! (unique stores and boutiques, geared to families and upscale or southern women in 30s/40s)
2. Good drinks at The Village Inn Pub
3. Food: Barbara Jeans, oh my
4. Goto Cargo in Brunswick for experience and take a drive down the historic streets...

Jekyll Island
1. History Buffs, historic mansions of the rich (summer homes really)
2. Amazing driftwood forest on beach
3. Dolphins in river!
4. The best peach daiquiri you will ever have and an awesome sunset make a brilliant combo at wharf/dock near Jekyll Island Hotel
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 05:29 PM

If you're a fan of great storytelling and you're no shrinking violet, you'll love the Sixth Sense Savannah ghost tour. We're fanatical and very choosy and we've tried a number of them and keep coming back to this guy Shannon Scott and his company. Real rarity and its the real deal.