Suggestions for Kauai Itinerary

May 4th, 2006, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Suggestions for Kauai Itinerary

The hubby and I will be in Kauai mid-May for 10 days. We're low key people. I can't hike much b/c physical limitations. Our evening plans are TBD based on how energetic we are. We won't be eating out much b/c of my food allergies. We do have a rental car. Any suggestions are welcome...thank you!!! Also, if you could only choose a few restaurants (which is the case with me...I can't veer too far off my medical nutrition plan), which would you choose (2 moderately priced and 1 expensive dinner)?

Day 1
arrive at airport at 6pm
go to condo (Kuhio shores-south shore)
dinner (don't know where)

Day 2
Pick up groceries
South shore beaches, Spouting Horn
Coconut Marketplace at 5pm for free show and dinner afterwards (Duke's or Keoki's??)

Day 3
Princeville Ranch horseback riding 11am – 3pm
Check out Hanalei Bay area, shopping, etc.

Day 4
Open day (probably beach)

Day 5
Waimen Canyon
Kokee State Park

Day 6
South Shore beaches

Day 7
North Shore Beaches
Buddhist temple
Blue Room
caves
sunset at Kilauea Lighthouse

Day 8
Keahua Arboretum Trail & Makawehi Point
Poipu/Shipwreck/Keoneloa/Kalapaki Beach
check out waterfalls: Kipu, Wailua, & Opaeka'a Falls

Day 9
Go to North shore in a.m. (beach, shopping, etc.)
Napali Catamaran snorkeling tour 1-5pm (leaves from N. shore)

Day 10 Open day (probably beach)

Day 11
Check out of condo in a.m.
Activity and lunch near airport…any suggestions? (we need to be at airport at 1pm)
May 4th, 2006, 03:34 PM

For your Day 2, I would recommend Duke's over Keoki's. For one thing Keoki's is in a shopping center, while Duke's has a great view of Kalapaki Bay and nice indoor waterfall in the downstairs bar and Barefoot Bar snack bar area and there are usually nice Hawaiian singers making the rounds of the tables if you want to pay them to sing you a song.
May 4th, 2006, 06:35 PM

We visited Kauai in May 2004 and took a tour with Napali Catamaran trip out of Hanalei Bay. FABULOUS! One suggestion though, you might want to consider getting up early and taking the morning trip. As the afternoon winds kick up you can really get tossed around.

Have a great trip!
May 4th, 2006, 06:42 PM
Kal

Day 2 maybe walk over to HukiLau Lanai for dinner?
Save Duke's (like for TACO TUESDAYS!)for another day since you are right next HukiLau? Located behind the CocoMktplace?
May 4th, 2006, 07:17 PM

Sounds great. Stay flexible and breath deeply. Lots of beach time is the way to go. Don't forget, I think you have to wear long pants at the Buddhist Temple. Try to catch the sunset from the cliffs at Princeville or on Hanalei Bay. Postcards in Hanalei is a great place to eat. It's a vegetarian and fish restaurant with creative and tasty dishes.

-Bill
May 4th, 2006, 10:48 PM

Dukes for sure. Also the Coconut Marketplace has a really wonderful breakfast restaurant thats right alongside the parking lot. Best macadamia nut pancakes EVEr or coconut french toast. Smith Luau isn't far from there, best Luau in my humble opinion. Gaylords for lunch and ambiance YUM. Also BaliHai restaurant for dinner. Yes Kiluhea Lighthouse if its still there and Bubba Burgers can't be beat for a quick meal. Now Im hungry. I'm heading to Maui and Oahu in May but normally Kauai is my fav.
May 5th, 2006, 05:53 AM

If going to the Smith's Luau, make sure to book early, at least a week ahead. We didn't last April, and missed out. Also, you might want to be flexible on your Napali snorkeling day (schedule it earlier in the week, so you can move it back if necessary), so you can get a day that might be less windy. Have a super time!
May 5th, 2006, 08:02 AM

On one of your north shore beach days, defintely get to Ke'e beach very early (the parking fills up so fast). We found this to be the best snorkeling, and truley amazing.

Have fun.

(We loved the Beach House for that expensive dinner).