Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for casual in coastal SC ... suddenly we're headed for the beach!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2003, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be spending June 12-16 in Manchester Tennessee at a music festival camp out, and have now decided to hit the beach before returning to Pittsburgh. On the 16th, we plan to head for South Carolina for some R&R through the 21st. Any suggestions for somewhere with comfy beds, great seafood restaurants, quiet beaches and some interesting local shopping? ... Nothing fancy, but good quality.

What I've read has me interested in Pawley's Island (which unfortunately doesn't sound likely ... we don't need a $3000 house, something more like a nice $100 per night B&B), or Beaufort, St. Helena Island or something else with a relaxed atmosphere.

We've been to Carolina Beach in NC in early August and enjoyed the easy pace there. We like to walk to the beach if possible - and other places ... how great it would be to walk everywhere once we got there. Is that possible?
Old May 29th, 2003, 06:45 AM
iceeu2

I know this is not a reply to your question about the beach....but Pawley's Island is beautiful......If you are going to the music festival in Manchester, get ready to set in some heavy duty long time traffic...unless things have changed since last year...So, have a full tank of gas cause you will set dead still for hours and hours.
Back to you...the SC beaches are beautiful, but the Florida beaches are probably closer to Manchester. The Florida panhandle is great.

Old May 29th, 2003, 06:49 AM

Try Litchfield--it is "mainland" Pawley's Island. Search for Litchfield Beach and Golf Resort--lots of accomodations. Garden City just north of Litchfield is lovely. In NC Ocean Isle and Sunset Beach are good. An article in our paper said that accomodations at the beach are very reasonable because of lack of tourism, even in mid-summer. Walking "everywhere" at the beaches is not a reality unfortunately.
GREAT seafood restaurants in Murrell's Inlet, just north of Litchfield.
Old May 30th, 2003, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

iceeu2, we went to Bonnaroo last year and managed the traffic by arriving really early, and somehow were in the right place at the right time for getting out. We considered Fla, but since we're returning to Pittsburgh, thought we'd head east from Manchester, rather than further south. We did learn that a vacation is needed after Bonnaroo, for sure!

Gretchen, thanks for your suggestions about Litchfield, we'll definitely look into it.

Any other ideas will continue to be appreciated. This is my first time using Fodors.com, but it came highly recommended from a friend just returning from Ireland. Thanks a million!
Old May 30th, 2003, 08:47 AM
iceeu2

Since you are headed back home, you may want to go just a bit farther north into North Carolina and check out Topsail Beach....just a bit north of Wilmington, NC.....we haven't been but have friends who go every year and rent a beach house and just love it......Or, start your vacation early and come on down to Chattanooga for the riverbend festival......Joe Cocker is the opening act on June 6th...go to riverbendfestival.com to check out this great venue....starts June 6th and ends June 14th.

Old May 30th, 2003, 03:08 PM
iceeu2

ttt

Old Jun 1st, 2003, 03:37 AM

i'm thrilled that you are going to SC. if you have the time you really shouldn't pass up Charleston. You can find well priced food (try Hymen) or a bit more expensive food (try Anson, Hanks, Cyprus) and the historic district is dotted with B&B's. the beach isn't far away either. Mt. Pleasant (which isn't on the beach exactly) is just minutes away from the Isle of Palms. There are great public beaches there too. If you want to spend the money you can stay at the Wild Dunes Inn or rent a condo there for a little bit more. Have a wonderful time.
Old Jun 1st, 2003, 10:15 AM
bomotrix

I live in Nashville, not attending Bonnaroo though, because we didn't get our act together before tickets sold out. Manchester officials are very welcoming of the festival and have been planning since last year how to improve the traffic situation for this year; including maybe opening up extra lanes on the shoulder. Unless there are many more people than last year, the traffic really should not be as bad. And what a lineup they have for this year's festival -- I suggest Folly Beach on James Island just outside of Charleston, SC for your beach portion of the adventure. Lots of beach houses to rent. Casual seafood restaurants. Don't know about the shopping.

Old Jun 1st, 2003, 11:28 AM

You should definitely check out coastal South Carolina - it is beautiful. Pawley's Island is definitely my preference but probably out of your price range. Check out Litchfield which is just a few miles north of Pawley's. Go to www.litchfieldbeach.com. Once there, click on "Specials and Last Minute Deals." It looks like you can get an oceanfront guest room for around $100 a night. While there, be sure to drive down to Pawley's. There are some quaint shops - the Hammock Shops (among others) and some really good restaurants. For the best seafood, drive a few minutes north of Litchfield to Murrells Inlet. My favorite restaurant there is Lee's Inlet Kitchen.
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

These suggestions have been helpful, thanks so much ... we're looking into our options and I really appreciate the knowledge you all have offered!!

I'll keep checking in, probably throughout this week, so other ideas will be appreciated. Thanks everyone!
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 12:35 PM

Get ready for lots of driving to get there. All the SC and NC beaches are nice. (I'd avoid Myrtle Beach because of the honky tonk).
Best "straight shot" would be Wilmington, NC area (Wrightsville, Topsail etc).
If you have kids with you, consider the Outer Banks in the Nags Head to Duck/Corolla area. Lots to see and do.
You could then drive up via Norfolk/Wash to PA.
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

An update ... many months later.

I'm finally returning to say thanks to everyone for their helpful suggestions.

We eventually decided on Litchfield Beach - we stayed at the Litchfield Inn. It was absolutely perfect. Within our first few hours there, I found out why my "Lovey" suggested our little vacation ... he proposed to me! So incredibly exciting - we couldn't be happier.

We loved Litchfield so much that we've decided to return there to get married in July 2004. For those who want to know, we'll be doing the deed at Atalaya Mansion in Huntington Beach State Park ... all immediate family and closest friends are coming with us, and it's going to be such a fantastic time.

We'll be there for a week beforehand, getting settled, taking care of some details (and enjoying more of what we loved while we were there in '03 - Brookgreen Gardens was breathtaking!)and having a vacation with our loved ones.

I think this is what being in heaven feels like!

Cheers to all!
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 04:16 AM

That is SO wonderful! What a nice story, and to think that the nice folks at fodors helped. Is Gretchen your maid of honor? ;-)
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 04:44 AM

Congratulations!! It is a pretty place isn't it. Reception at the mansion? If you want recommendations for restaurants just ask. If you want more room than the Inn the Litchfield Beach and Golf Resort has condos and the hotel at Litchfield by the Sea is a suite hotel.
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

You guys are awesome!

We've recommended the Resort to our guests, and we're letting them make their accommodations (I will never learn the correct spelling of that word!) independently, based on what they need, and groups getting together, etc. I am not organized enough to do this for 70+ people

Yes, reception at Atalaya Mansion ... we've got Grand Caterers booked. After HBSP closes at 10 pm we're planning to go back to the Calypso (at the Litchfield Inn)for a less structured, hanging out and being married into the wee hours type of party with our loved ones. We're looking at Austins for a rehearsal dinner, but so far they're not good at responding to communication ... maybe too early for them to be thinking of July events? I hear the food is just fantastic.

Other restaurant suggestions would be wonderful as we will be there for the week. Also maybe someone who can take a group of us on a fishing day trip, and maybe somewhere where we can hear some live acoustic music, maybe bluegrass or something fun and funky (but not really top-40-type country music at all) Something like Allman Brothers, Neil Young, Bob Dylan type music? If possible? (We'll look into House of Blues, but are not really fans of Myrtle Beach scene ... too many people!)

I'm sure as the day gets closer I'll have more questions ... Should I keep using this post or start a new one?

Thanks a million!
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 08:34 AM

I'd start a new one.
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 09:36 AM

Austin's would not be my choice--food is not as good as other places and is overpriced. For the BEST food in Pawley's Island--and on the beach it is Frank's--would be a similar price range as Austin's. A very good restaurant right there is Island Deli and Seafood--not a deli at all and a pretty creative chef. Very reasonable prices. Our favorite seafood place is a funky little turquoise "shack" in Murrell's Inlet--Inlet Crab Restaurant. For woodfire grilled meat and seafood Bovine's is good although we have stopped going--a bit overpriced also. Hana's in Murrell's Inlet has a sushi bar and an interesting and delicious menu. For a meal on the ocean (it may be the only place to do this) the Conch Grill in Garden City is good--porch hangs out over the beach. Also in Garden City just before the causeway going to the beach is Sara J.'s--good seafood. For an old fashioned oyster roast (Inlet Crab Restaurant also has one) in a big fish camp sort of restaurant go to Nance's in Murrell's Inlet. Not particularly good for anything but a roast however. Pastaria 811 is a good small restaurant--in the shops across the street from Litchfield by the Sea. Oh, and the Phish Club in Murrell's Inlet is delicious. It might be a thought for your rehearsal dinner.
And we haven't been yet but Louis Osteen the famous Charleston chef has opened Louis's just up the road from Frank's.
We don't "do" Myrtle Beach but everyone says that Carolina Opry is a good show.
And one thing you may have discovered about the liquor laws in SC--alcohol is sold in mini-bottles so don't order a complicated cocktail with more than one liquor in it--it will be charged by the mini-bottle.
And finally for a really really good breakfast try Eggs Up Grill on route 17 in Pawley's--near the Litchfield Inn turnoff.