Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for 3 nights in Seattle in July?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2006, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,

I just booked a flight from Boston to Seattle on Jet Blue for 3 nights in July. This is for my husband's surprise 37th birthday present. I am actually taking him to see the Mariners play the Red Sox...I figure it will be a nice change of scenery while seeing his favorite team

We will be arriving at about 9:30 Friday night, and leaving at 10:30 on Monday night. I know it's a short period of time, but this is a weekend trip only as we have 3 other trips planned between April and August!

This will be our 1st time to Seattle, and obviously, I know we can't see everything. We will be going to the baseball game on Sat. afternoon. What else would you suggest we do with the short time we have? I would like to stay right in the center of everything, downtown if possible. I love staying in the center of cities, walking to all the sights/shopping/restaurants/etc...

Can you recommend a hotel ($250 or under a night) and location? How far is the Safeco Field from downtown?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 06:13 PM

Safeco Field is a safe walk and less than a mile from most downtown hotels.

If you want to be in the center of the retail core, book a hotel witin a few blocks of 5th and Pine.

You will probably want to visit the Pike Place Market and the waterfront. Also, you will probably enjoy a trip on the ferry to Bainbridge Island, which gives great views of the Seattle skyline and, on a clear day, the Olympics, the Cascades, Mt. Rainier, and even Mt. Baker.

Other that that, what are your interests?

If we knew you like jazz, we would suggest you see what's playing at Jazz Alley and the Triple Door.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 07:02 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
The Alaska cruise business has made hotel prices in peak summer weekend periods go through the roof, so getting a really nice place for less than $250 is going to be a relatively difficult thing. Right now there are only a few 4-star type places available on Expedia etc. for less than that - the Hotel Andra, a remodeled "boutique" hotel, located close to the "Belltown" neighborhood - zillions of bars, restaurants, music, etc. might be a good choice; there are view rooms at the Westin for less than $250, and you should check out the Kimpton properties in Seattle - Alexis, Monaco, Vintage Plaza, which offer good value and good location. If you can go between $250 and $300, you can get a water-view room at the Inn at the Market, a boutique hotel literally in the Pike Place Market. The Hyatt, W and Fairmont are all well over $300 for that period. The Warwick and Mayflower would also be excellent choices, right in the middle of everything.

One thing to note is that there's a new Silver Cloud Inn (www.scinns.com) being built right across the street from the main entrance to Safeco Field. It's due to open in June sometime, but don't know when they'll be accepting reservations. SC Inns are a great Pacific NW chain; there's one opposite Lake Union north of downtown that offers views of seaplanes, boats on Lake Union, the houseboat jungle (Sleepless) is nearby, as are several fun restaurants. Not in the middle of downtown, but they offer a shuttle. That would be well under your price point.

If you have points with any hotel chains, now would be the time to use them.

You might consider renting a car for one of the days you're here - lots of things to see within an hour or two from downtown. Turn it back in at the end of the day if you want to avoid hotel parking charges. On Sundays, of course, parking on the street is free.

Too bad that the Sox are gonna lose that series, by the way.

Old Mar 28th, 2006, 08:24 PM

If you happen to have the Entertainment coupon book (or know someone that does!), the Fairmont Olympic Hotel is one of the hotels listed. It's a gorgeous, historic hotel and is located about 3 blocks from the main shopping area downtown, and in walking distance to Safeco. This would be a wonderful place to stay for a birthday.

You'll love Safeco field!
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 05:09 AM

We had a cruise last year out of Seattle and booked downtown 4 star through priceline for 85.00 we walked all over downtown from our hotel no problem. I would certainly consider using priceline but I wouldnt bid less than 4 star.
AS for activities...Pikes Market is a must. Spaceneedle while IMO is overrated is kind of a staple of Seattle. A day cruise is a good way to see some of the natural area. If you like zoos Woodland Park is my favorite up there.
SafeCo Field tours are available and might be fun for him.
Have fun on your trip...GO MARINERS!!@!
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 07:50 AM

Argosy Cruises offers a variety of cruises- I have done the bay cruise and think its worth the time and money - beautiful views of the city and some Seattle history.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 08:12 AM

If you're interested in getting outside of town at all, it would be easy to rent a car downtown for your last day, head to Mt. Rainier for the day, then drop off the car at the airport before your flight. Rainier is south of the city, as is the airport, so it wouldn't be a hassle to get back for your flight.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 11:43 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Mayflower Park Hotel
Hotel Andra
Hotel Max

I'd visit Pioneer Square historic district, Chinatown, Pike Place Market and take a short ferry ride. That and eating out at a great restaurant each meal, would round out the weekend and your time.

Old Mar 29th, 2006, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

These are great suggestions! Thanks so much for all your help! I will be sure to report back when we return in July