Seattle hotels

Old Jun 16th, 2003, 08:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seattle hotels

My husband and I are planning a trip to Seattle in late Aug. We are undecided to which hotel to stay in. We will be there for 5 nights. Any suggestion? What are some must see attractions? Is it better to stay in a hotel by the water or doesn't it matter? We prefer Westin hotels, but any comparible will do. Your input is GREATLY appreciated!!
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 04:43 AM

We stayed in Seattle for the first time last month. One thing I didn't realize before booking a hotel that I'll pass on is that Seattle city center is built on a steep hill. Alaskan Way is the street that parallels the harbor/pier area. The streets are then numbered sequentially going up the side of the hill, so a sixth street address is seven blocks from the pier area straight uphill. If you would like to stay along the water, the Edgewater Hotel is your only option in the downtown area. It is a lovely facility with a wilderness resort type feel, but be aware that only one side of the facility faces the water if booking. My husband and I really enjoyed the Pioneer Square area. You should also visit Pikes Market, take a trip up in the Space Needle, and allow some time for the wonderful museums in the pier area. Seattle has a good transportation system including a free ride bus zone in the downtown area, a trolley system, and a monorail from Seattle Center to the downtown area. For an enjoyable meal and a great view of downtown Seattle from across Elliot Bay, make reservations at Salty's restaurant. Enjoy your trip!
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 05:55 AM

Received 77 Likes on 7 Posts
Search this board for umpteen Seattle threads - just type "Seattle" in the search box and stand back.

The Westin in Seattle is a comfortable, well located hotel. The Edgewater is no longer the only hotel on the central waterfront (although it remains the only one actually built over the water). Last month Marriott opened a new hotel just across the street from the cruise terminal - it's a short walk to the Pike Market, or you can catch the waterfront tram out in front and ride to Pioneer Square or the International District (Chinatown). Note that buses in the downtown core are free, hop on, hop off, so you can get around the city center pretty easily.

If your budget can handle it, you might consider looking for a water view room at the Inn at the Market, a lovely "boutique" hotel built right within the Pike Market.

Other 4- or 5-star hotel properties in downtown Seattle include the new Hyatt, the W, Monaco, Sheraton, Four Seasons Olympic (probably still the nicest hotel in town) and several smaller but very nice properties.

One thing to note is that most nights people are reporting getting 4-star hotels on Priceline for $80 or less - look at www.biddingfortravel.com for results and pointers.

If your "late August" includes part of Labor Day weekend, you might want to attend a day or two at the great Bumbershoot arts festival held at Seattle Center. Look at www.bumbershoot.org for listings and a guide.
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 09:33 AM

My husband and I stayed at the Inn at the Market a few years ago an we just loved it. It is literally a half a block from Pike's Market and it is just a charming hotel. I will never forget sitting on it's roof deck, overlooking the market and the water with a bottle of wine before dinner. It is one of those spectacular memories I think of often.

We did not have an ocean view room, but enjoyed our stay nonetheless. I don't think it was too expensive ... I don't believe we paid much more than $200 a night.
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 12:05 PM

Stayed at the Westin in Seattle last summer through a deal on Priceline. I believe we paid somewhere around $60-$70/night. Nice rooms with views from the higher floors. Convenient location for walking to Pike Place Market, the waterfront and the elevated train.
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 12:33 PM

We stayed at the Sheraton last August through Priceline for $80 a night. We were walking distance to Pike's Place--the room was very nice!