Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Hotels in Seattle - near needle or Pikes Place? (or elsewhere)?

Jul 1st, 2009, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

2 adults, 2 kids. Spending 4-5 days in Seattle in August. Looks like there is tons of things to do downtown, but I'm torn between staying near the needle or nearer to Pikes Place. I'm leaning toward the latter, for the bigger city, urban experience, (like downtown Chicago???). My ignorance and inexperience is obvious.

We plan to spend time in both locations and, if I'm not mistaken, it looks like transportation (monorail, etc.) can get us to either location. However as a "home base" (with access to amenities and restaurants) which area do you recommend?

And what hotels do you suggest? Would like to spend as little as possible (ha!) but realistically we are probably looking at $150-200ish. Kind of considering the Homewood suites on Pike, Hilton Seattle, Hampton in near the park/needle, or the Red lion, but I welcome and appreciate your advice.
Jul 1st, 2009, 06:39 AM

I would stay downtown, it'll give you more options in terms of proximity to things to do, restaurants, etc. Of the hotels you mentioned, I think the Homewood Suites works best for a family.
Jul 1st, 2009, 06:44 AM

The Space Needle/Seattle Center and the Pike Place Market/downtown Seattle are only a mile away from each other. They are really not two different experiences.

Yes you can use either the monorail or a Metro bus to get back and forth from the center to downtown core.

The Mediterranean Hotel is nice if you want to be up on Queen Anne (near the Space Needle). Or the Warwick Hotel or the Mayflower Park Hotel are my two favorites in that price range in downtown Seattle.
Jul 1st, 2009, 06:51 AM

We loved the Inn at the Market (at Pike Place). It was fun being at the market early in the morning and watching the vendors set up. Nice roof deck too.
Jul 1st, 2009, 07:19 AM
mms

I really like the Mayflower Park. The location is excellent, it is within your budget, and they are having a great special through September with free valet parking and Sunday nights half off. We used to live in the area, so knew the location was good. We have stayed there several times and have absolutely no complaints. Some rooms have 2 full bathrooms, so that is a huge help with a family.
Jul 1st, 2009, 09:35 AM

Inn at the Market is the very top of their price range, and that's for the lowest room type. I think it's a great hotel but not so much if your room is overlooking 1st Avenue or otherwise less desirable.

At the other hotels suggested they'd be more at the mid to nicest room type offered.
Jul 1st, 2009, 10:25 AM

friends just booked the Pan Pacific for $139 a night in August on expedia.com
Jul 1st, 2009, 10:36 AM

I'll throw out the Lake Union area as an option even though it's perhaps not as "urban" as you would like; but the area around the lake is nice (sailboats and such on the docks; seaplanes landing/taking off in the lake are fun to watch). There's a quite nice Marriott Residence Inn there, and there's the Seattle Streetcar stop right across the street (takes you to the center of downtown) and also some buses. It's not that far from the hotel to downtown or Seattle Center (Space Needle) - I walked (about 20-25 minutes) to each when I stayed at that Residence Inn. But I'm not suggesting you walk.
Jul 13th, 2009, 06:29 PM

The Alexis is extremely nice, IMO, but starts at $250/night for a room with two queen beds. you might check out the Kimpton hotel's web site to see if there are any deals in August. Have a great trip. If you have time, check out the bakery Nouveau in West Seattle; fabulous pastries and quiche.
Jul 17th, 2009, 06:15 PM

To add another suggestion, we stayed at the Seattle Sheraton and we thought the location was perfect. It was a monorail ride from the Seattle Center, a free underground bus ride to Pioneer Square and a few blocks to the Pike Place market. We felt like we were in the center of the action and it was a very nice hotel.
Jul 17th, 2009, 06:19 PM

A cost effective option is the Hampton Inn and Suites that you mentioned. I stayed there for a night in December, and there is a nice grocery story one block away, it is short walking distance to the center and space needle, and of course you can hop on the monorail to go downtown. Public transportation in Seattle is actually pretty easy. Just down the block from the Hampton is a Thai restaurant I like, but I can't remember the name The Hampton was newer, beds were very comfortable, and you get a basic breakfast in the am and cookies in the pm.
Jul 18th, 2009, 11:33 AM

We will be two adults trying to find accomodations near Pikes Place. I'm trying to find a comfortable place, where parking won't cost over $20 a night. We'll have our rental can to travel further north after our stay. I've tried to book the Mayflower but they're booked. Where else would you suggest?
Jul 18th, 2009, 12:39 PM

Very hard to find a place downtown where parking won't be $25-30/night. Can you wait until the end of your stay in Seattle to pick up the car? That's what I'd suggest.

You might try the Andra which is just a block from the Mayflower Park and this summer has not been much more expensive. What other options are coming up in your price range? If you post them, we can give feedback.
Jul 18th, 2009, 05:48 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. I did score two reservations, got the last room at Inn at the Market at only $225 which has a better price for parking than many ($25+tax) and free wifi in the rooms. Also got a more expensive room with more expensive parking at hotel 1000. Not sure where I want to stay. I don't want a big hotel--a la Sheraton if possible.
The Andra does look promising in regards to location. We want comfort and a bit of style, good plumbing and good service. A spa, gym, business ctr, etc are not on the list.
The car seems superfluous the first day at least. Not sure where else we'll wander, but not used to a public transit systerm that really works! LOL

BTW is Snoqualamie falls full this year? We've been to Yosemite during a drought and their falls weren't worth the drive!
Thanks!
Jul 18th, 2009, 05:49 PM

Also I'm not sure of the topography/geography downtown/Pike Market. Is it hilly or flat? Is the Inn at the Market too far away. My walking is somewhat limited now...
Jul 18th, 2009, 08:35 PM

The Inn at the Market is on a steep hillside however it's only 1/2 block from Pike Place (which is level.) It's not especially taxing to get from the hotel to the main market arcades.

The Hotel 1000 is slightly downhill (around 5 blocks) from the main entrance to the Pike Market (i.e. it's a gentle uphill walk to the market, downhill returning.) If you want a hotel closer to the market, the brand new Four Seasons is only a block, but as it's a Four Seasons I don't know that you'll find the prices to your liking.

Buses in downtown Seattle are free, and there are a lot of them along First Avenue (Hotel 1000, Four Seasons, Alexis.)
Jul 18th, 2009, 09:03 PM

Not to worry, Inn at the Market is practically *in* the Market! Like Gardyloo already said, a steep, but only 1/2 block walk down the hill to the flat street of the Market itself or up the hill for 1st Avenue (also flat).

Hotel 1000 or Hotel Andra are both further away from the Market itself, but it's easy enough to get a bus or even taxi around if you need to.
Jul 19th, 2009, 09:47 AM

Does anyone know how Snoqualamie Falls is looking this year? How long a drive would it be from downtown Seattle?
Also how long from Tacoma?
Jul 19th, 2009, 10:47 AM

Snoqualmie Falls is past its peak and the volume of water will continue to fall until the rains this autumn. However it's still an impressive sight. From downtown Seattle it's around 45 min. to the falls. Be careful when driving through the town of Snoqualmie; the city makes a decent living off speeding tickets, if you get my meaning.
Jul 19th, 2009, 10:49 AM

Meant to add, figure about an hour from downtown Tacoma. Use SR 18 from Federal Way to the junction with I-90; from there it's a very short distance to the Snoqualmie turnoff.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO