Search

Seattle Hotel - Price Line Zones

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seattle Hotel - Price Line Zones

Hi,

My sister and I plan to spend 2 nights in Seattle - July 7 and 8 - a Monday and Tuesday. I would like to try (for the first time) bidding on a hotel room on priceline.com, but I am not sure whether to bid on Downtown Seattle or Lake Union.

Neither of us has any interest in "department store" shopping, but do enjoy nice waterfront-type restaurants, interesting/historic sites, a few touristy things (Space Needle..).

Any suggestions/recommendations/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 03:52 AM

It's really six of one / half dozen of other. If you're walking to the Space needle Seattle Center area, Lake Union is a bit closer but the downtown area is close to the monorail - it makes getting to Seattle center a breeze. I could be mistaken but I think the bulk of the ncie waterfornt restaurants on Lake Union may be across the lake form where the PL hotels are likely to be located?

I just returned from a PL stay in Seattle (my third PL stay there). I always bid on downtown and found the location convenient. I don't shop but found the adjacency to Pike Place Market and the Seattle Museum of Art convenient. You can walk to Pioneer Square in about 15 - 20 minutes (word of warnign - my GF was creeped out by Pioneer Square after dark - it was a cold, rainy wekened night and the only people around in significant numbers were homeless, winos and what appeared to be junkies - I'm sure it's not always like that but definitely pick a time to go there when it's busy).

Also - although Seattle is a good city for walking, cabs are helpful at times and they're easy to get downtown by going to the front door of any of the major hotels.
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 04:02 AM

I forgot to mention.... late summer 2001 I got the 3* Crowne Plaza for $65 on PL (busy weekend - it was Labor day). Late summer 2002 I got the 4* Elliot Grand Hyatt for $45 (a fluke - they were having occupancy problems at the time but now appear rarely if ever on PL). Several weeks ago I got the 4* Hotel Vintage Park for $60 - GREAT place.

Be sure to do a wlaking jaunt through the Capital Hill neighborhod and also (maybe) the Queen Anne area. Lots of cool old houses if you're a fan of historic residential architecture.
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 07:57 AM

I've used Priceline twice for Seattle in the last year or so. In February I bid for a 2.5 Star downtown and got it for $30 - a Best Western Executive Inn (free parking!). It's just north of Denny at Seattle Center event hough I bid for the downtown zone. An OK hotel (nothing special) but obviously a great deal.

In March of 2002 I got the 4-star Westin for $55. Nice hotel! Thing you have to watch out for in downtown is the extra parking costs - somewhere in the neighborhood of $20/day at the Westin - ouch! Priceline can save you a bundle though. With 4-stars you have several free rebids and you have a lot of time, so unless Seattle is busy that week (er, could be, 4th of July time), you should be able to get a good Priceline deal.

I'd prefer being downtown though instead of Lake Union I think because I still like to walk to things, even if I have a car. Even the Best Western was close enough to walk downtown, and the monorail stop was right across the street.

Andrew
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 08:16 AM

Hi there, I live in Seattle and personally preferr the downtown area to lake union. There is much more within walking distance if you stay downtown and cabs are much more abudant. Also to get to the space needle you can just head to Westlake Center and grab the monorail.

Definately head down to the waterfront and wander around the piers, don't miss Pike Place Market- tons of farmers stalls but deeper inside and under there are funky stores, eateries, bars, etc. The SAM may have a good exhibit going on, there are lots of art galleries in Pioneer Square if you like, etc.

Have fun!

p.s. look at biddingfortravel.com to get info on what hotels are coming up at what price!

Wendy
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Owen, Andrew and Wendy,

Thank you!! Since we will not have a car, I think I will take your advise and try downtown since it sounds more like what we are looking for. I am going to bid on 4* hotels and see what happens.....

Just one other question -- we plan to go to Victoria and would like to go there via floatplane. From there we would like to go to the city of Vancouver (BC). I am wondering if it is possible to get to the ferry without a car.....and then, what the best way to get back to Seattle (where we would then pick up our car). It is just too expensive to rent in Vancouver and return to Seattle, which we have to do since our flight is from there...and we really want to take a floatplane...

Any insight...recommendations...?

Thank you,

Old Apr 4th, 2003, 03:18 PM

I'm sure you can get a cab to the ferry in Victoria. Then you could always take the train back to Seattle from Vancouver.

http://www.amtrak.com/index.html
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

Hi,

Well, I did it -- bid $82 and got the Sheraton downtown. Cheapest rate I could find on Orbitz, etc., was $199. Hope the location is good....seems like it is?? And, these "large, convention, impersonal" hotels don't bother me, so I think it should be OK if it's in a good location.

Wendy, I did look into the train service, and it looks to me as though there is only one train and it is at night, with bus service during the day....?

Thanks again.
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 03:35 PM

The Sheraton is a great location. Puts you within easy walking distance to everything and is great for catching cabs. GREAT PRICE! Congrats, fun hu?
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Wendy,

Thank you. I love it! Want to try now for Victoria, but there doesn't seem to be many 4* -- the only one I see is the Empress. Bid $80 and, of course, was turned down. Guess I'll wait the 72 hours or my sister will bid higher tomorrow. I wouldn't mind some 3* hotels, but I'm not as sure I would get a nice one -- like Laurel Point (I think that's the name).....

Old Apr 4th, 2003, 11:46 PM

Celiaanne: you might go ahead and ask for bidding help on BFT on the Vancouver/Victoria hotel section (since you have already posted your winning bid to the Seattle section). You might get advice on the best approach.

I wouldn't sweat it getting a hotel so soon, though. You can get good Priceline deals even last-minute. I'd reserve a backup now that you can cancel and just keep trying for Victoria as you get closer to depature.

Andrew
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Andrew,

Thank you. I think my sister will try to bid tomorrow and if that doesn't work, just get a back-up hotel and try closer to the date.

Old Apr 5th, 2003, 01:28 PM

Victoria Airport zone is a free rebid for 4-star and 3-star hotels, because that zone has neither (only has 2.5 and 2-star hotels). If you add that zone to the Victoria Zone and bid for a 4-star hotel, you won't get one in the Airport Zone because there are none. Just don't bid down to a 2.5 star quality level.

So that's how you could rebid immediately - if you don't want your sister to do it or don't want to wait 72 hours.

Andrew

Old Apr 5th, 2003, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

Andrew,

Thanks again.....I forgot I could do it that way ....

I'm undecided about how long to stay. We plan to arrive before noon and stay at least that night. I'm kind of undecided about staying one or two night -- we're hoping to do a lot more traveling after that...have till July 22...