seattle/accomodations

Old Jan 7th, 2004, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
seattle/accomodations

Have made reservation at the Hampton Inn Suites Downtown, for June. Is this in an OK part of town? (5th Ave). Anyone ever stay there? Recommend any good restaurants there. Like all kinds - funky,fancy,sandwhiches,almost any fare. within walking distance to what? Thanks, Beth
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 10:59 AM

Received 77 Likes on 7 Posts
"Downtown" is someting of a stretch. It's located near Seattle Center (Space Needle, Key Arena, Experience Music Project) but is a good mile from the main part of "downtown" (Pike Market, department stores, all that.)

The Seattle Center grounds has a wide array of places to eat, and there are some good walkable restaurants along Mercer & Roy Streets (which cross Fifth near your hotel); however our favorite place in the area (and this will raise howls from locals who try to keep it secret) is Panos Kleftiko, a Greek taverna half a block (I think) from your hotel. Tiny, usually packed, but the food is fab and when the bouzouki-ish musicians turn up (pretty casual arrangements) it's magical.

You can take the monorail from Seattle center to the heart of downtown; there are buses, but you might also find a car pretty useful for more exploring.
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 11:28 AM

Hi--I used to live in the area of the Hampton Inn. My favorite restaurant there is Racha--a nice but reasonable Thai place at Mercer and 1st Ave.

Larry's Market--near Racha has all kinds of sandwiches and Deli fare.

I like to walk, so I enjoyed the 1.25-1.50 mile walk down town.

The Turntable restaurant in the nearby EMP (Experience Music Project) serves food that appeals to young people.

June weather is not always as summery as one would suppose. Our summer months are July and August!

Enjoy
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 12:31 PM

Beth, I highly recommend using Priceline for Seattle if you are going to be staying at a place like the Hampton Inn. Often, for the price of a place like that, you can get a nice 4-star hotel downtown with Priceline for about the same price.

Try BiddingForTravel.com and go to the Seattle hotels section to see which hotels people are getting and what they are paying on Priceline. I would keep your reservation at the Hampton for now and think about trying Priceline closer to your departure (as it is non-refundable/non-changeable). I've used Priceline several times for Seattle and done very well, even at the last minute. A Priceline 3-star might put you toward Seattle Center (an OK area, where the Hampton is, but not the most exciting). A 4-star is more likely downtown right in the heart of things. FYI, sometimes parking is $20/day at these nice hotels downtown.

Andrew
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 04:19 PM

Hi again Bethie! We really enjoyed the Dahlia Lounge in downtown Seattle. We also like the Flying Fish, and Salty's on Alki Beach. The restaurant Six Seven at the Edgewater Hotel where we stayed is also very good with beautiful views of the water.

I hope you get a chance to take a ferry ride to Bainbridge Island. It was really fun! Pike's Place Market and the Space Needle were also highlights of our four days in Seattle.

This summer we hope to take the ferry to the San Juan Island for a few days. I love Seattle and am looking forward to returning to this area again. The little aquarium was also very interesting and fun for my teen daughter. Enjoy!! ***kim***