Bite of Seattle

Old Jun 29th, 2004, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bite of Seattle

A question for those familiar with this upcoming festival: I will be visiting Seattle that weekend (7/16-17-18) and wonder how much this affects downtown traffic. Would it be advisable to avoid staying in the Seattle Center area because of this? I had considered the Hampton Inn or Comfort Suites in the area, as I have not had any luck with Priceline and downtown hotels.
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 09:33 AM

Received 77 Likes on 7 Posts
The problem this year will be that the monorail serving Seattle Center from the downtown area will be out of service due to a recent fire. As a result, it's likely that traffic congestion around Seattle Center will be worse than usual. However, the area is well equipped with garages and surface parking facilities, due to numerous performing arts venues and Key Arena (NBA Sonics) being on the Seattle Center grounds, so not unmanageable. You might enjoy attending the Bite if you're staying close by; you can waddle back to your hotel after indulging in the offerings.

I wouldn't sweat staying in the area, just be prepared for crowded urban conditions.

Have you tried Priceline at Lake Union? IMO the places there are nicer than those near Seattle Center, and the Lake Union area is very interesting.
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 09:42 AM
jor

I don't think Seattle bites. I like it.
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Gardyloo---thanks for the suggestion. I had tried the Silver Cloud at Lake Union and it was booked, so I then went to downtown choices; I did not try Priceline for the (other) 2.5* places (Residence Inn and Courtyard by Marriott I believe). I have read in yours and other other postings that it is pretty easy to get a bus ride downtown from there. I will try a priceline bid for them! I had also read good things about Summerfield Suites, and that they have a downtown shuttle, but the best price I found for them was $143/nt.
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 10:13 AM

Have you consulted www.biddingfortravel.com? It's the Priceline bible for us converts. How-tos, recent results, a snippy moderator...all the good stuff.
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

Yes...after your suggestion, I went to that site, perused it thoroughly, and got a suggestion from the moderator re my PL bidding strategy for the 4* downtown. Seattle 4* DT is a perfect opportunity for Priceline bidding from what I have seen...all the possible hotel choices are worthwhile (unfortunately, none could be had for my top bid that weekend, though I still have 2 more rebids). Once you drop down to 2.5 or 3* in the downtown area, however it opens into many many more varied choices, some of which I would not be interested in. I don't believe Summerfield is listed as as a participating hotel anyway. Lake Union looks better, though, as the only 2.5* choices all look reasonably nice.
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 12:10 PM

Yes if you want to go to Lake Union don't put in a 3 star or lower bid including downtown - you may get the Marqueen or some other older/less convenient place. All the Lake Union places listed on BFT are just fine.
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 12:12 PM

Sorry, meant to say you should start a new bid for Lake Union, rather than lowering your star level on your pending rebids.