Seattle Priceline Question- re Safeco Field

Jan 26th, 2009, 08:49 AM
JJ5
Original Poster

Seattle Priceline Question- re Safeco Field

The website describes Safeco Field as just South of downtown. Would you put that location in the downtown Seattle Pike Place designation or the Seattle Space Needle designation.

Or would it be better to stay elsewehere, in your opinion- for instance, closer to the airport or waterfront?

What's the neighborhood around the stadium like for walkability?

Thanks.
Jan 26th, 2009, 09:03 AM
mms

I haven't used Priceline so not sure of all their designations for the downtown area. But Safeco is on the opposite end of downtown from the Space Needle. Pike Place Market is between the two. I personally prefer to stay around the Pike Place Market area when we go back to visit. That way you are centered and it is really easy to walk everywhere, including to Safeco Field. Definitely do not stay at the airport! Not close and you do not get any feel for Seattle.
Jan 26th, 2009, 10:06 AM
JJ5
Original Poster

Thank you, mms- that's exactly the information I needed.

Looking at quikbook and hotwire too, those spots near Pike Place Market should be in high contention.
You've helped me. THANK YOU.
Jan 26th, 2009, 10:12 AM
mms

JJ5--Yes, there are loads of places in that area. And you have said before you are a walker, so you will be fine. What games are you going to catch there?
Jan 26th, 2009, 10:43 AM
JJ5
Original Poster

I'm looking for Sept. 14-17, 2009- the last time the White Sox go west this year.

Originally I was thinking of going to LA on Sept 11 and driving up the coast, but I don't know if almost 1,200 miles is doable by us old foggies any more.

Regardless- I'm pretty sure I'm going to get the Seattle end in- it's late enough in the year that I won't be neglecting MI, either.

My W.S./Mariners games are also midweek and it would give me time on both ends to enjoy other aspects of Seattle.

Jan 26th, 2009, 11:06 AM
mms

Well, you should be hitting Seattle at its best for weather Truly, there are no bad seats at Safeco as well. And depending on where you sit, you can have some great views of the city and water, and especially for evening games the sunsets can be pretty spectacular from the stadium. Try and get a tour of the stadium as well. They do a good job with it.

We have made the drive up and down the coast from San Diego numerous times. Don't count that out yet...it really is nice.
Jan 26th, 2009, 03:16 PM

The area around Safeco is very walkable. We had no trouble walking TO the field, but back was too uphill for us! Have you been to Safeco before? It is a beautiful park, with great sight lines, and follows the practice of holding patrons at the tp of the aisle during the at-bat, something I had never experienced before but which certainly was nice. Great eats too--ichirolls (sushi!), salmon on a stick, etc.
Jan 26th, 2009, 03:25 PM

FWIW, you can always take the buses down to Safeco from any part of downtown. Many of the buses run down to the vicinity of King Street Station (south part of downtown) which is close to Safeco field. A few times I've gone to Seattle without a car (via Amtrak) and stayed up near the Space Needle (Seattle Center) or even Lake Union via Priceline. I love the Residence Inn up at Lake Union (twice won with Priceline), and the bus connection down to King Street Station/Safeco is very easy.

See www.google.com/transit if you want to check bus routes.
Jan 26th, 2009, 04:09 PM

There's only a couple hotels in that area, so it might be worth finding out who gets what from doing Priceline in the stadium area.

Personally I'd rather stay right downtown (near the Pike Place market) or up on lower Queen Anne hill (Space Needle).

I'm not sure it's unsafe but that area around the stadiums is kind of deserted and industrial, not exactly the place for a nighttime stroll imo.

Jan 26th, 2009, 04:43 PM
mms

Suze--I agree, the area by the ball fields is usually quiet. But on game days there are loads of people walking back so I wouldn't hesitate at all. We have done it, even with the kids, and never felt unsafe, etc.
Jan 26th, 2009, 04:56 PM

I prefer to stay in the center of the shopping, restaurant, and entertainment area--in the blocks around 5th and Pine, which is 1.4 miles north of Safeco Field.

Popular hotels are also located on the waterfront, in the Pike Place Market neighborhood, and on Lake Union--south of the center. There are also several budget hotels, mostly built for the 1962 World Fair, located between downtown and Seattle Center (home of the Space Needle).

Jan 27th, 2009, 07:45 AM
JJ5
Original Poster

Thanks to all who responded to this excellent thread. I got some fine ideas during the early planning stage.

No, I have never been to Seattle or Safeco before. But I have exerpienced the hold at the row during the at bat, at other parks.

I'm hoping that I can take off long enough to fly to LA's (Angels/WSox last game)- drive up the coast (2 to 3 days)and then spend 3 days in Seattle and fly home from there. SO was in Seattle twice during his fly in/fly out (with 3 days stay once)when he went to Korea for duty in 1968-69. So it's been a loooong time since he's been there.

Thanks, again.
Jan 27th, 2009, 08:31 AM

Safeco is definitely a great stadium. Watch out for Upper Deck seats as it is one of the largest stadiums I have been in. 1 of my favorites. I'm probably going to head back there next year or so. I really liked Seattle and can't wait to come back. I had great seats right above the Mariners dugout in the 2nd level. Friend of mine and I got a lot of attention due to my Red Sox hat and him in a Yankees hat at a Rangers @ Mariners game...

I stayed at a Comfort Suites within walking distance to the Space Needle. Drove to the game as I had to pick up my friend out in Kent.
What else are you planning on doing out there?
Jan 27th, 2009, 08:44 AM
JJ5
Original Poster

I'm sure we will walk all over the place. We did so in Baltimore last year and literally walked every district in about 5 days there. Baltimore is small enough to do it pretty well.

I'm sure we will see the waterfront at length- maybe take a boat or ferry ride- and go to at least one Museum. He's a big zoo person. Is there a good one?

It really depends upon how much time we have there. If it is a Seattle only trip, I'll do more in 5 days than most can do.

But if it comes at the end of a California plus drive- it may be the game- the waterfront and as much as we can see within a 2 to 3 day period.

I still need to talk him into the drive. He could be fishing in MI otherwise. LOL!

I love the differences in the Major League ball parks too. We may get to Cincinnati this year, as well.

So far, out of about 20 I've attended (some are gone now and replaced), I think I liked the Baltimore Oriole's park the best. Other favorites have been in Toronto and in St. Louis.

He doesn't want to drive within LA area, so we wouldn't be there long.

Jan 27th, 2009, 09:10 AM

Friend of mine brings his kids to the Woodland Park Zoo and they really like it. I haven't been there. I did really like the Seattle Aquarium when I was there. I would combine that with a boat ride since they are right near each other. I did the Argosy Locks Cruise (http://www.argosycruises.com/publiccruises/locks.cfm) and loved it.

For a museum, I loved the Air and Space Museum. It could take a full day though.(http://www.museumofflight.org/)

I didn't care for the Experience Music Project as it was really only for hardcore music fans. The Sci Fi museum was ok and didn't take too much time.

Space Needle was definitely worth the money to go up.
Jan 27th, 2009, 09:14 AM

One other note about Seattle is the amount of hills. It was extremely hilly with many steep hills. I also would recommend a trip out to Snoqualmie Falls for the hike down the waterfall. i couldn't do the hike due to rain but still enjoyed the vantage point.
Jan 27th, 2009, 09:23 AM
mms

More votes for the Museum of Flight, the locks, and the zoo. There is also the Olympic Sculpture Park, which is interesting. The aquarium has been redone, but I still think it is lacking a bit. But then again, since you don't live in a coastal area it might be something you enjoy. It is right down on the waterfront, a very short walk from Pike Place Market. Definitely allow time to wander the market area. I really like to go early when the vendors are setting up and it is just coming to life. Take a ferry ride over to Bainbridge Island. Definitely get off and wander that area a bit instead of just riding back and forth. Space Needle is a given. If you go for 5 days I would rent a car for a day to get out of the city and see more of the area.
Jan 27th, 2009, 10:06 AM
JJ5
Original Poster

Look for more specific questions from me when the time gets closer.

I figure by September we will on weekends and with one or two week long stays, be Michiganed out- and ready for this. I just hope I can get that much time off.

We will definitely go to the zoo and the Space. In DC I couldn't get him out of the Smithsonian Air & Space and that is where he went into areas were he shouldn't have, as well. (He's a bad boy and always will be- read my trip report for the full story.)

So far in about 11 city or baseball trips (and he is NOT a city person at all)- our favorites have been the ones with the outdoor and physical options just as you have suggested. I bet we will love Seattle.

And I bet we get to two games there too.

Thanks for all your help and excellent particulars.
Jan 27th, 2009, 12:57 PM
mms

Another place that I bet your SO would love is the Boeing tour up in Everett.
Jan 28th, 2009, 05:59 AM
JJ5
Original Poster

Oh, would he!! Thanks for that one.

We also have friends (mine of 30 years plus) who have a son who is now a pediatrician stationed there with internship and practice, we may stop to say HI! We went to his wedding a couple of years ago and to his brother's just this December.

He's Army too, as his Dad was for 25 years.

The more I hear about certain logistics, the more I think we are just going to do Washiongton state and leave the California end for another time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO