Storm Warning for New York

Old May 26th, 2006, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Storm Warning for New York

If you are traveling in western New York tonight, be advised that a major storm is approaching. The locals say they don't ever recall seeing a hurricane around those parts this late in the year, but then again they aren't usually into hockey at this time of the year either. A few months ago, it was expected that this storm would be nothing but a tropical depression, but despite its location in a warm climate, the storm has continued to build to monstrous proportions. Buffalo's hurricane defense system has suffered a few key personnel losses lately (they are more prepared for snow), but they will batten down the hatches and try to weather the storm the best they can.

If you are headed to NY City instead, you should be fine.

Go Canes!!
Old May 26th, 2006, 08:47 AM

LOL Dan!
I was reading this aloud to my husband and we were both looking and wondering, Has Dan lost his mind?
And then it dawned on me!

I am sorry, but I have to say, Go Buffallo
Old May 26th, 2006, 09:00 AM

Old May 26th, 2006, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Well Scarlett, as far as losing my mind - that's totally unrelated to hockey. Just hope that the storm doesn't Staal over Buffalo. If that happens, the city may bear the full Weight of the storm and be totally Recchied. Who knows? Maybe you will Ward it off after all. Sorry - It's Friday.
Old May 26th, 2006, 09:37 AM

That's hilarious!
I'm a Leafs fan, so I'm rooting for the Canes...=)
Old May 26th, 2006, 10:00 AM

Go Canes!

Old May 26th, 2006, 11:04 AM

Very cute Dan, but it wont be a hurricane. There will be a Buffalo style BLIZZARD of goals to quash any hurricanes. It's Miller time in Buffalo tonight!
Old May 26th, 2006, 06:14 PM

Did the storm hit yet?
Old May 26th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

The latest weather report has the now category 5 storm heading back toward NC. Weather broadcasters on ESPN say they have never seen anything quite like this turn. It is on a course to hit Raleigh, NC at about 7:30 Sunday night. You have heard of some people having hurricane parties, right? Well, these crazy people in the Triangle usually tailgate right before a storm hits, when most then go inside.

Man, that was a nice game. Unfortunately, the hurricane got so big that right before the 2nd period started, a bit of it reached down here in Durham and knocked out the power in my neighborhood. Of course, it came back on 1 minute before the end of the game. I had to listen in my car and then go out to buy batteries for our radio in the house. Looking forward to attending Game 5 Sunday. Good luck Sabre fans.
Old May 26th, 2006, 09:51 PM

If the 'Canes beat my beloved Sabres and then the Oilers(?) let's hope we don't see the CUP at those damn NASCAR events that Southern Hockey fans seem to enjoy so much...
Old May 27th, 2006, 03:08 AM
Original Poster

Sorry not into NASCAR very much, and that is another cup.
Old May 27th, 2006, 04:18 AM

they'll always be the Whalers to me.....
Old May 27th, 2006, 12:55 PM

Stormy weather it was, Dan.

I fear that with all our injuries, we may not recupperate.

Enjoy the weather. If it weren't for the cloudy conditions here in Sabres land, we'd be kicking your butts!

Old May 27th, 2006, 08:54 PM

Dan,

I'm predicting a Sabres victory tomorrow. We are so depleted with injuries, but the Sabres have fought back all year and I think they'll do it again on Sunday. Not that this matters, but the enthusiasim and excitement in Buffalo is so much more than in Raleigh, it would be a shame for the Canes to go to the finals when they can't even sell out for the
playoffs and your television ratings for the series are pathetic. I'm sure you're a big fan, but there aren't too many of you in the Carolinas. In comparison, Buffalo and the surrounding area is suffering from major Sabres fever.
Old May 28th, 2006, 08:35 PM
Original Poster

I do agree with you that hockey is bigger in Buffalo. That is to be expected, with the longer history and the more northern location, but the smaller fan base here is pretty darned excited, let me assure you. I am sure tonight's loss was tough for Buffalo fans, perhaps worse than Friday. There is certainly a good chance this is going 7 games. I give the Sabres a lot of credit for coming out strong tonight. It was a phenomenal hockey game to watch.