Stops along the Embarcadero in San Francisco

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

During our SF trip in July, we are planning a Saturday morning visit to the Farmers Market at the Ferry Bldg on the Embarcadero.

Wondering what else we should be sure to see along the Embarcadero....or is it really just more of a great place to walk rather than to see specific sights or stores? Having trouble grasping what all is along there. Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated.

Plan to go to the Haight after that by bus or whatever muni transit is best. Still need to plot routes.
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 10:04 AM

It is a really nice walk along the Enbarcadero. You can walk down to Pier 39 and shop a little.
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 10:15 AM

Mainly just for walks. ATT park offers free tours when the Giant's aren't playing. You can walk out on a few piers, in addition to the touristy Pier 39. I've enjoyed several visits the the USS Jeremiah o'Brien.

http://www.ssjeremiahobrien.org/

Stu Dudley

Old Mar 6th, 2008, 10:20 AM

Unless you want to walk up to Pier 39, it's just a walk along the bay.

From Ferry building cross Embarcadero and take bus 71 that runs along Haight. Or you can walk up Market a couple of blocks to a stop where all 3 lines stop: 6, 7, 71. Only these 3 run along Market and along Haight.
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 12:54 PM
SAB

Another option for the Haight is to take the N Judah, get off at Carl and Cole and walk 2 blocks to Haight. It's faster than any bus that has to crawl up Market then Haight, seems to be a popular option based on the number of people who ask me which way to Haight.
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 01:13 PM

Hi mwessel, in case you do not know..the even number piers are to the right of the Ferry Bldg., and the odd number piers (such as Pier 39) are to the left of the Ferry Bldg. That is when you are facing the front of the Ferry Bldg.
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 01:24 PM

We did something similar, taking a bus from somewhere near the Ferry Building, but added in the Japanese Gardens at Golden Gate Park (with a snack and tea at the tea house) then walked to the Haight. It was great.
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 02:27 PM

SAB has the right answer as far as the fastest way to the Haight. However, the buses mentioned also have the advantage of looking out the window along the way, and seeing the differences between the various parts of Haight Street. You should take a little stroll in Cole Valley anyway - it's a nice neighborhood with places to stop for coffee or a drink or whatever.

A couple of notes:

You might want to time your visit so you can have lunch at the Ferry Plaza. You'll have the most choices in the least distance. If there during the farmers market hours, there are food stands for baked goods, sandwiches and much more - this is in addition to the restaurants inside the terminal. Don't miss the gelato place.

About the #6 bus - it does go along Haight Street, but turns on Masonic and meanders through the Haight/Cole Valley perimeter. No biggie if you stay on - you'll be within a stone's throw of Haight Street for a while anyway. If it's a clear day and you want to ride the #6 to its terminus, it's actually a scenic ride through Parnassus Heights and Golden Gate Heights and ends with a spectacular view from the top of a very big hill (Quintara and 14th Ave.)
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

As always, you all offer amazing advice and information and I thank you.

And of course, now you've got me thinking that maybe we should start off up at the north end of the Embarcadero that morning (love the idea of seeing the OBrien) and enjoy a walk down and end with the Ferry Building around lunchtime. (Good thinking dovima) Is the Ferry Plaza the same thing as the Ferry Bldg?

So people are allowed to just walk out on any of those piers along the Embarcadero? (Piers 15, 17, 19 etc) Or are those privately owned? What is on them?

Love all the thoughts on how to best get to the Haight....so is the N Judah a bus or some other mode of transit... and where at the Ferry Bldg would we catch this?

If we want to add in the Japanese Gardens at Golden Gate Park on our way to the Haight, at what stop would we get off ?

thanks again all.
Mary

Old Mar 7th, 2008, 04:50 AM
Original Poster

Forgot to ask, about how long would it take to walk down to the Ferry Bldg from Pier 45?
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 07:04 AM

Lots of the piers are private, but the ones you can walk on are well marked - you won't have any problem finding them.

I think it's about a 20-30 min walk from pier 45 to the Ferry bldg/plaza.

Stu Dudley
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 07:45 AM

The N Judah is one of the Muni Metro lines - it runs underground in the downtown area and comes aboveground after Church Station. It goes through another, shorter, tunnel at Duboce Street and then emerges at the intersection of Cole and Carl Streets. Either the N-line or the #71 bus would take you very close to the entrance to Golden Gate Park at Ninth Ave. and Lincoln. From there it's an easy walk to the Japanese Tea Garden.

The Ferry Building is the actual structure with the clock tower on it. The Ferry Plaza is the immediate outdoor area surrounding it. People tend to use the two terms interchangeably around here.
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 08:53 AM

SAB, I usually recommend buses over underground based on the personal experience

In Chicago, I took the subway once, it was fast, dark, nothing to look at through the windows.

Going back, took a bus: slower, longer rest for my feet, saw part of the city. Used only buses since.
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 09:06 AM

I think San Franciscans like the Ferry Building because it has been recently and lovingly remodeled. The view of the bay along the Embarcadero is beautiful, there is interesting urban sculpture and it's great people watching.

On a Saturday in July there may be a Giant's game, and there is a place in the back by the bay where you can stand and watch some of the game for free.
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 10:29 AM
SAB

I agree that the buses offer more opportunity to see SF, but then again what you see on mid Market and lower Haight is not that attractive IMHO. Just giving an alternative. I no longer take the N or ride the buses even though the 6 stops in front of my house--after 25 years of riding public transit, I have given myself leave to drive to work!!