Search

San Francisco

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2005, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Francisco

We will be going to San Francisco and staying at the Argonaut Hotel near the Fisherman's Wharf. Does anybody have advice/suggestions or recommendations????
Thanks...
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 09:57 AM

Search this forum for dozens if not hundreds of threads on what to see & do in San Francisco.

Old Apr 26th, 2005, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Gekko.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 02:42 PM

Buy a transit pass and a map of the transit system. Go to Alcatraz, Beach Blanket Bingo, and the Museum of Modern Art. Eat at a good Italian restaurant in North Beach. Take the trolley that runs from Fisherman's Wharf up Market Street to the retail core or to The Castro. Walk to the middle of the Golden Gate Bridge. Climb to the top of Nob Hill--check out hotels and Grace Cathedral. Take a bus to Pacific Heights and check out the views.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 11:44 AM

I enjoyed the Argonaut, and if you like the museum that is right off the lobby, you might also enjoy touring the Liberty Ship Jeremiah O'Brien and the submarine Pampanito, both of which are quite nearby on Pier 45. You can get there by going through the Musee Mechanique (enter at the foot of Taylor, I think it is) out to the Pier, or walk around past Alioto's and the other restaurants at that elbow of the waterfront. You can also walk to Pier 39 and watch the seals or sea lions or whatever they are, and if you want to continue walking (about half an hour or so from FW along the Embarcadero), you can visit the new Ferry Building with its gourmet goodies and shops. In a different direction (ask for a map at the Argonaut), don't miss Chinatown, and remember that while Grant is the touristy party, Stockton (especially the part near North Beach) has shops and restaurants too that I enjoy even more. If you feel strong and energetic, you can hike to Coit Tower on Telegraph Hill (zillions of steps or considerably fewer, depending on where you start), or drive there. I think you'll have more fun walking if that's convenient for you, and there are always cabs, pedi-cabs on the Embarcadero, cable cars, and Muni transfers.
Also, Stu Dudley recently provided a great itinerary with lots of suggestions on another San Francisco thread--very much work looking at, so follow Gekko's advice. Enjoy!
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 01:06 PM

ttt
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 02:10 PM

You can take free guided walking tours of various areas of the city, organized through the San Francisco Library. Here's the web site with the list of tours and schedules:

http://www.sfcityguides.org/

I took a tour of Chinatown when I was there in June - it was very interesting and informative, and I learned a lot about the history of the Chinese who immigrated to San Francisco. You simply show up at the appointed place and time - you sign an attendance sheet that the guide has, and off you go. A donation is encouraged at the conclusion of the tour, but whether you do it and how much is entirely up to you. I thought it was a great tour, and worth a good donation. I wished I had the opportunity to take some of the other tours - hopefully, I'll be back and able to do that sometime.

Okay, I just typed this, then went back and looked, and noticed that the original post was from April - so donco, why did you top it? Are you looking for San Francisco suggestions, too? I guess that I should pay more attention to the original dates before I chime in on a thread.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 05:21 PM

Hi sara, for some reason it seems like donco is topping a lot of old SF threads. For whatever reason who knows.
Take care.