Reload this Page >

Walking around San Francisco

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 10:21 PM
Sylvia

Going to SF next week and would like to do some walking near or with view of bridge (rather than walk on the bridge), and elsewhere interesting in the City, in addition to Chinatown.
Suggestions please.
Thanks

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 10:43 PM
fred

Take the bus to the Palace of Fine Arts. From there you can walk along Crissy field almost to the foot of the GG bridge.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 09:36 AM
Sylvia

Thanks for your reply. I'll track down what bus to take from Fisherman's Wharf (and where Palace of Fine Arts is located). Any other walk suggestions?

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 09:46 AM
Faina

Take Golden Gate bus over the bridge if you don't want to walk on the bridge, and then to Sausalito and along the waterfront there.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 09:48 AM
Carl

Sylvia,

I would not recommend walking around in Chinatown. It is a very dirty area with more than its share of crime.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 10:17 AM
J Correa

I have never had a problem in Chinatown. Yes, there is crime, but as long as you walk around in the day time, don't go down deserted alleys, and hold onto your stuff, you will be fine - basically the same advice for walking around any city.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 10:27 AM
CF

I think you can start at Pier 39, see it and most of Fishermans Wharf, walk to Ghirdelli(spelled wrong so save your nagging)Square and then to the Cannery. We did it but I can't remember which was first the wharf or Pier 39. anyhow, it's a fun doable walk.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 12:06 PM
Jill

I recently took the Victorian Home Walk Tour and enjoyed it. $20 pp cash at the end of the tour and well worth it. 1/415/252-9485 or www.victorianwalk.com.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 12:13 PM
Bill

Here's one of my favorite San Francisco walks: Start at the corner of Buena Vista Avenue East & Duboce. Enter Buena Vista Park (the oldest park in San Francisco) - head up the stairs and stay to the paved trail on the right that takes you above the tennis courts. In the late afternoon you'll pass tennis players and dog walkers. You'll also see some spectacular views of downtown. There are many ways throught the park, but I like to stick to the one with the relatively easy grade (avoid the really steep paths and never give up a hill).
After winding a bit you'll feel as if you've left the entire city behind, surrounded by pines and eucalyptus. Believe it or not, you're only a few yards from Haight Street on your right. Check out the California poppies blooming near the path. Take a closer look at the marble that lines the path in spots. The marble is actually reclaimed from headstones that once resided in the old Lone Mountain cemetery. If you look closely you can still make out some inscriptions. (Creepy, but a cool fact)
Keep your eyes on the horizon for some excellent views of distant church domes and steeples. Ahead on the path you'll see a wide deck with a railing. From here you'll be able to see Golden Gate Park in the distance, along with the top half of the Golden Gate Bridge, and on a clear day, the ocean in the distance.
If you're in the mood, follow the trail up to the summit of the park. Not in the mood for uphill? Head out to find the sidewalk and follow Buena Vista Avenue West back around to where you began. Check out the unique architecture of the houses.
Look near Frederick Street on Buena Vista West and you'll find the house where Jack London lived (look for the plaque).
For a longer walk, head down Upper Terrace. Take a right on Ashbury Terrace for a great mix of classic and modern architecture! Go left on Piedmont and left again on Ashbury (of the famous Haight-Ashbury intersection). Left again on 17th and left again on meandering Roosevelt Way. It's a good walk, but downhill most of the way. Take one final left at Park Hill and you'll wind up back at Buena Vista Park. Follow the rim around to the right and you'll end up where you began.

(Note to non-drivers, there is a Muni railstop at Duboce Park (Duboce & Noe) but it's quite a hike uphill to the park entrance.)

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 12:56 PM
Grasshopper

Sylvia, Check this out: http://www.kqed.org/tv/productions/sinfiregold/map.html It is a historical trail of SF that is unbeatable.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 01:24 PM
xcc

Sylvia,

Be careful when walking in SF because of undesirable things on the street that you may encounter such as human waste, vomit, and carboard condominiums. It may sound like an exaggeration, but I have seen it all on the streets of SF, especially in the tourist areas of Union Square and Fisherman's Wharf. The city has really become disgusting.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 09:13 PM
Sylvia

Wow. What great information you all have provided. Some follow-up questions/comments for Fred, Jill, Bill & Grasshopper:

Fred - I'm looking at map and wonder if from Palace, do I go on Baker? to Mason? or Promenade?

Jill - Wondering if you all did any free city (library-linked) walk tours and, if yes, how they compare to Victorian Home Walk.

Bill - I won't have a car, and the hill-hike would diminish appeal of and lung-capacity for the rest of the walk (which sounds wonderful), so how else to get to start point from Fisherman's Wharf area. P.S. Your detailed directions were easy to follow on a map.

Grasshopper - I want to run out and get the recommended trail guide books to get into the historical info on the great site you recommended.

Thank you all for your ideas, cautions, and encouragement. I have been to S.F. several times and have enjoyed each visit (when in college, then with my young children, later with my grown children, and last year with my grandchild), and will do so this time (on my own)!

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 12:57 AM
fred

Hi Sylvia
From Fisherman's Wharf (near the Holiday Inn) you can take the #30 bus on Northpointe St to the PoFA.
From the rear of the PoFA (near the Exploratorium entrance) you can see the bay across the street.

This map is very helpful:
http://www.transitinfo.org/cgi-bin/zoom/MU/system

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 07:32 PM
Sylvia

Fred - The map is great. Wish I could print it in enlarged sections to take with me in a readable format, but that doesn't seem possible (tried and failed). I imagine I can get/purchase the map when I get to S.F. Thank you for giving me bus# and location.

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 10:03 PM
Bill

Sylvia - in response to your question. You could take the Market Street 'F' Line (the restored old street cars) from Fisherman's wharf, down the embarcadero and Market. You'll want to exit at the Castro Street station. There you can transfer to the 37 Corbett bus - it makes several stops at Buena Vista Park.

If you choose to take the "long version" of the walk I described, you can hop back on the 37 bus at several points for a quick return trip to the streetcar line.

PS If you're in a hurry there's also an underground streetcar that runs the length of Market Street. You won't see the sites along the way, but it's quicker because the underground doesn't have to stop for traffic or signals. The underground is really kind of funny - it's like a tiny New York Subway.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 08:12 AM
Jill

Sylvia,
I can't compare the Victorian Tour to the library tours as I have not taken any library tours. For wahtever it's worth, one lady commented in our group that the tour we were on far exceded the library tours. The walk was easy (tok my 75 year old (healhty) mother and VERY informative. Our host Jay was very informative and gracious. I've lived in the Bay Area for over twenty years and walked in areas that I would not even begin to find again. Beautiful views and a wonderful afternoon. Enjoy your visit.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 08:14 AM
Jill

Sorry for the typos. I should have reread before posting.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 04:17 PM
sylvia

Thank you Fred, Bill, and Jill for your responses. I'm looking forward to getting to S.F. on Wednesday and starting the walks you suggested.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 07:22 PM
Bill

I have to know. How were the walks?!

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 11:07 AM
Jill

Topping because I'd like to know too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -